SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Girl Scouts cookie markup
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Girl Scouts cookie markup Login/Join 
posted
I know Im probably the asshole but...

Girl Scouts were selling cookies at the local grocery store for $5 a box. I know they are only $4 so a 25% markup. I guess supply and demand and its a free market but it just bothered me.

Flame on. Im ready for it.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I agree. Go for the Keebler versions. It’s not like the Scouts see a big chunk of that profits anyway.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Yeah, not that I buy cookies at all anymore, but the keebler are a fraction of the price and taste better.
Even if I were buying cookies, I wouldn't be supporting the current agenda of the GSA. It you want to support local troops, give them cash. They only get like thirty cents from each box of cookies.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I'm not buying Girl Scout cookies to save money. I'll buy a couple of boxes every year that I see them outside the grocery store. Of course, they only charge $4 for the regular cookie boxes and $6 for the gluten free boxes here, but I figure an extra $2 a year wouldn't break me if they asked for it.

If you buy more than 2 boxes a year though, that's your own fault.

Posts: 3375 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
$4 here and I won't say how many I bought, but the freezer is sufficiently stocked with Samoas.

And yes, you can get them cheaper in the stores, but some good lessons are taught to the girls in the whole process and that's a good thing.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I bought from the scouts at a scout pancake breakfast and they were $5.00.

Posts: 5616 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tried the Keebler brand and they were inferior.

I love me some Somoas and usually buy 4-5 boxes a year off family but they no longer are in the scouts. I need to find a new dealer.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I buy them from the Scouts that come to my door, not the "table gauntlet" outside the stores.

The girls coming door to door are learning interaction skills with strangers in a "business/customer" model, and having to walk, correctly take the order, complete the paperwork and order fulfillment in the delievery/folowup to complete the transaction and then report/turn in their package.

All of that, while seeming "small potatoes", is going to be foundational and "remembered" their lives.

Compare that to the group of kids, schlepped to the stores, and barley making eye contact as they mumble as you walk out the door, and if they catch one, sell a few boxes and hand the money to "mom", I find it hard to believe the experience is the same.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I buy them from the Scouts that come to my door, not the "table gauntlet" outside the stores.

The girls coming door to door are learning interaction skills with strangers in a "business/customer" model, and having to walk, correctly take the order, complete the paperwork and order fulfillment in the delievery/folowup to complete the transaction and then report/turn in their package.

All of that, while seeming "small potatoes", is going to be foundational and "remembered" their lives.

Compare that to the group of kids, schlepped to the stores, and barley making eye contact as they mumble as you walk out the door, and if they catch one, sell a few boxes and hand the money to "mom", I find it hard to believe the experience is the same.

Worse to me are the parents selling them at work.

With regards to the $5 - that extra dollar means you don't need to hand out as much change and the 6 year-old can quickly figured out how much seven boxes of Thin Mints cost.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:

Girl Scouts were selling cookies at the local grocery store for $5 a box. I know they are only $4 so a 25% markup. I guess supply and demand and its a free market but it just bothered me.

My niece is a girl scout. Some of the cookies ARE $5 a box, and other varieties are $4 a box. My niece sold the $650 in cookies needed to go to a weekend camping that the Scouts put on.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:

How do you feel knowing that that box costs no more than $1 to make? Razz

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
They're not even made out of real Girl Scouts....

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4617 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Just bought four boxes while voting last week. $5 a box. No idea if some varieties were cheaper.

I never eat them. Used to send them to one of my patrol officers who was deployed. Now they are all back so they are dropped off at a friend's gunshop.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Five bucks a box? Send in the Thin Mints, brother!

I'll buy them from the door-to-door mafia, I'll buy them from the table-tenders at the grocery store, I'll buy them from the moms at work.

And when I get to feeling really froggy about how little the troop actually pockets on the sale, I'll make a donation directly to the troop.

Win-win. Wink

- - -

Edit: One of several from the Meme thread:

God bless America.

Posts: 13487 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
Try Aldi's version. Pretty close.

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Look it beats the crappy popcorn the Boy Scouts sell.

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I had $2 in cash on me at work the ither day so i borrowed $2 from a buddy and we split a box of thin mints. Thats all ill buy this year.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
$5/box at my house (N Houston) for Thin Mints, $4/box for them at my parent's house ~1hr away (Bryan, for those Houston familiar).

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15289 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
This is how they sell them around here:

I stopped buying them at random after the 2016 election. There was nothing but Trump bashing going on at their national Facebook page with no effort made to correct or remove it. I figured those women were the leaders who "taught" these girls, and as such, I wasn't going to fund that education. I will still buy them from friends and family.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
I'd buy about two cases a year. One to slowly consume and one to give away to torture others to buy more. I was a cookie crack dealer. The first box is free...

Never again.

They have taken up an agenda.

Bye.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post