SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Coyotes killed 2 of my sheep
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Coyotes killed 2 of my sheep Login/Join 
posted
Coyotes killed 2 ewes that were going to lamb in a few days Mad
Need to devise an extermination plan.

Posts: 1176 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Is there any truth to having a donkey with them for protection?

Posts: 3572 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:
Is there any truth to having a donkey with them for protection?

Yes. And a llama will do the job as well.

There are dogs that are very good at it, but they need to be raised with the flock from a pup as I understand it.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do have a 150lb Anatolian shepherd, but he was in a different pasture, I guess I need a second dog.
I have not had them bother my animals till last night.

Posts: 1176 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
I hadn't seen donkeys used until I moved here to GA. It was odd to me, because usually, the donkey is off standing in a corner by the fence while the cattle wander around. Didn't know about guard llamas either. Cool. Smile

Posts: 3572 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
In Colorado they also use Llama to protect against mountain lions. Seems they don't like them much. They also use them in combination with dogs. Lions and coyotes don't stand a chance. I've heard also that a .30-06, when loaded hot enough, don't like coyotes. Hit just right, it'll tear them a new asshole. But not as well as a .300 magnum. Another choice, if you can find them, are the Remington Accelerator. If they go off, unlike the 22s that often don't.

When I was a youth, like back in the 1950s, a friend raised sheep. The local dogs would go out for the evening, pack up and attack. Not funny when his 4-H project failed. Dogs have nothing against going into yards or near buildings to attack. The motive was much like Nancy Pelosi's. Just blind hatred. They only killed the sheep, no evidence of them eating.

So when the Sheriff was called, it was kind of familiar. About maybe the third time the deputy went to the homes nearby with large dogs. Those dogs had blood all over them. Seems like killing them is messy business. But the attacks didn't stop until some dogs began coming home with bullet wounds, or not coming home at all. The local 4-H extension agent said killing the dogs was about the only way to stop it, short of the owners not letting the dogs out to run at night. With coyotes, its also OK to just blow them up. Smile They should stay home, too. Or get killified.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:
I hadn't seen donkeys used until I moved here to GA. It was odd to me, because usually, the donkey is off standing in a corner by the fence while the cattle wander around. Didn't know about guard llamas either. Cool. Smile

Fernando Llama was hell on wheels. Between him and Grumpy the dog, I never had so much as a stray cat inside the fence line. Not one that lived to tell about it anyway...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chillin out
Picture of florida boy
posted Hide Post
Some friends of ours here have sheep, goats and raise exotic chicken breeds. They had a lot of trouble with coyotes and bobcats. Now they also raise Great Pyrenees and have no more predator trouble.

I practice Shinrin-yoku
It's better to wear out than rust out
Member NRA
Member Georgia Carry

Posts: 3811 | Location: Union County, Georgia | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
My Aunt down in Carrolton Georgia who raises chickens for eggs (and pets) lost quite a few to coyotes until she rescued and adopted Herschel the donkey...his pasture includes the chicken "resort" (as we call it)...no more chicken murders Smile...my Uncle's .22/250 has taken about a dozen out too Cool

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scsigs:

Do you have an AR?
Can you use it on your property?

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8322 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
quote:

Do you have an AR?

I do have an AR, and it has been used
I just don't have the time to wait for them.
Any volunteers in the upstate?lol

Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do have a 150lb Anatolian shepherd, but he was in a different pasture, I guess I need a second dog.

quote:

Can the dog use the AR? Though a team of two dogs would work better, one spotter, one shooter.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4611 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Did they vote first?

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Coyotes are a big problem pretty much throughout the midwest. In these parts they have no natural predators. I guess donkeys are one solution but if that won't work you pretty much have to shoot or trap them.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Personally I wouldn't own sheep or goats unless I had a pair of Great Pyrenees or Anatolian Shepherds. Out in West Texas where I'm from most flock owners run a pair of GP's with their sheep and never have issues with predators.

Posts: 1181 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I missed this, yes they work better in pairs so if one gets engaged they can still protect the flock. It's impressive watching a pair work to protect their herd.

Posts: 1181 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
quote:

Do you have an AR?

Why wait for them?
Make them come to you!

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=coy...f=pd_sl_21mwp9u08h_e

I'd look on Craigslist or similar for a used one.
I have two friends that have used the Eletronic Callers with great success, one uses some chicken as well. He's also got a taxidermist that pays (I think) about $40 for a good pelt.

Hell, if I was closer or had the time off, I'd help!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8322 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I use a thermal scope and my AR.

Since I have no suppressor, I can only whack one or two before they scatter.

However, the ones here are stupid and will come back for a can of dogfood every time.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Coyotes are a problem a lot of places. About an hour north of me they were attacking people’s dogs in their backyards and their little children. The city tried to catch and relocate them further away from town, but they used tracking devices on them and found within a couple days the same coyotes would make their way back to the same area. So they started offering bounties on coyotes. The game and fish would give you $25 for each coyote corpse and city would match it so you got $50 a corpse. I’m not much of a hunter, but I had a buddy buy a couple saint AR’s off coyote corpses in a weekend.

Posts: 1299 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Citadel
posted Hide Post
Where ya at? Got an AR needs broke in and Mama wants a new coat.

Posts: 816 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post