SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I did a dumb. Thankfully, it didn't cost me money.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I did a dumb. Thankfully, it didn't cost me money. Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted
Four years ago, I bought an FS2000. Got a very fair deal on a nice one with some extra goodies from a local Sigforum member. I really like it. In fact, out of what firearms I own, it's my favorite.

I took it to the range shortly after purchase, and it functioned flawlessly, but the sights were adjusted incorrectly. The front sight post was too high and the rear sight was too far right. I didn't have any tools on me, so I zeroed the red dot to where rounds were actually impacting, and called it good enough at the time.

Then I found out the front sight requires a proprietary tool, after finding out that an AR front sight tool won't fit. This tool, for all my searching, seemingly cannot be purchased on its own. No, it comes only with the $140 toolkit which has the bore brush, chamber brush, cleaning rod, carbon scraper, etc. A number of times, I've looked for one in gun shops, or checked classifieds, but with the rifle being discontinued for years now, I was about to go ahead and plunk down the cash for a new kit and just be done with it rather than eventually be out of luck.

https://fnestore.com/fs2000-tool-kit

Then last night, a wild thought crossed my mind. "I have the factory box, I wonder if it's hiding under the foam or something?" So I pulled it out of the closet, and opened it up. There, sitting neatly in the compartment made to fit it, was the $140 toolkit in the green canvas pouch. Inside it were all the tools, including the front and rear sight tools. Three minutes later, I had the irons cowitnessed with the dot. Sometime soon, I'll take it to the range to confirm the zero, and I'll take the toolkit with me, just as I should have done four years ago. Roll Eyes

I felt like a major fool, but finding it did make me very happy. I don't know why it never occurred to me to check the box the rifle came in, but I'm glad I did. Eek

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

Posts: 1769 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Nice find!

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Glad you found it. Beats the heck out of buying one!

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
The good news is it doesn't actually count as a dumb if you figure it out and fix it before it makes an impact! I think you just squeaked out on the safe side.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
And think of the mighty throng that did not post about having first bought, then discovered the dumb.

Velly good, glasshoppah!

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post