SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    The Unfriendly Skies
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Unfriendly Skies Login/Join 
Picture of fpuhan
posted
I've been a United Airlines frequent flyer for decades, hold one of their VISA cards, and they are generally my first choice of airline when I travel.

But boy, did they screw the pooch this time.

Last Sunday, a snafu at the airport caused me to miss my outbound flight. A less-than happy service rep informed me that unfortunately, they could only get me on a later flight that was due to depart 14 hours later. I checked my watch and realized I could drive the entire distance in 12 hours, so I chose to skip the outbound flight.

Now, I'm trying to check in for the return flight to learn that United has canceled my entire itinerary based on my not taking the outbound flight. I am dutifully waiting on the phone for a rep to make this right, as I paid for the ticket, and did not cancel my travel plans. I fully expect to be on the return flight tonight.

Rrrrrrrr.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
That's an automatic. Has been for years.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:

Agreed, but the two times I've done similar a call to the airline has gotten my return leg(s) held open on the original ticket. But that was a call from the rental car, not on the way to airport for the flight.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:

Yup, completely normal.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I had an 8 hour delay on a flight to Alaska last summer. This summer my wife chose to use United again to fly to Spain. I don't like flying in the same day we have to depart on a cruise. They did give us each a $100 voucher.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A couple of weeks ago I had a commercial flight connecting through Chicago. It was diverted due to weather to Kansas City, and we remained overnight. The next day completing the trip was uncertain, and I had to be somewhere as crew, so I grabbed a car and drove ten hours. Late that night, the flight I had been on went back to Chicago, then the connecting flight continued to to original final destination. I received phone alerts for the departing flight, because my ticket was not cancelled.

A month ago I came back from Europe. A round trip ticket was purchased, as it was less cost than one-way. I did not take the return flight. Never the less, my ticket was held, and I received notices for the flight.

It is not standard to cancel all the legs or parts of a flight simply because one is missed.

If you don't get on a flight or check in, the seat may be given to another customer or a jumpseater riding on that flight, but the ticket should not have been cancelled.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phone alerts aren't a good indication of anything, depending on the airline. I get them long after I have landed, cancelled, or what not.

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
As others have said, what you did has been against every US airline's policy that I know of.

Since you're dealing with United, it's in your best interest to be cordial or you may learn first hand about their slogan:

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
2 companies I hate: United Airlines and AT&T.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Let me add this to the above mentioned United videos.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/5YGc4zOqozo

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I despise United & will never use them again. They canceled a flight to JFK on us. Now, do they not know that most flying to JFK are connecting to a flight to Europe! Instead of taking care of the passengers on the cancelled flight, we were required to go to the back of a long line. While waiting in line we missed 2 more possible flights to JFK & barely made the flight to London.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4250 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Phone alerts aren't a good indication of anything, depending on the airline. I get them long after I have landed, cancelled, or what not.

The tickets weren't cancelled.

Banned
posted Hide Post
I can’t believe people will still willingly fly on a commercial plane.

Posts: 1801 | Location: Possum Kingdom, TX | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:

The tickets weren't cancelled.
And alerts have nothing to do with that. Wink

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maximus_flavius:
People like making money, or are you big balling on your own G5? Razz

Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maximus_flavius:

Sometimes our Gulfstreams are in the shop. Smile

Posts: 6955 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
And alerts have nothing to do with that. Wink

Not sure what your point is.

The tickets weren't cancelled. Cancelling a ticket because someone missed a leg is not standard.