SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Idiots at Service Station
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Idiots at Service Station Login/Join 
Picture of rtquig
posted
Today I stopped at Costco for gas, .10 less than other stations and I wanted to pick a few things up inside the store.

The lines are usually abut 3 deep at the pumps, 4 islands of 2 pumps each that dispense from both sides. As I pull up to an empty pump, a guy in a small extended cab pickup cuts across 2 islands and I had to hit my brakes hard not to hit him. Just another horses ass, no big deal, but it was stupid. his truck is now in front of me and getting fueled up, no one is in front of him, they filled up and left. As I'm waiting, I hear his truck start up and can see he is getting in gear as his backup lights briefly come on as he is putting it in drive. The pump is still connected and he is still getting gas. I blow my horn so he will look back and see he is not done. Nope, he pulls away while giving me the finger, and the gas is coming out of the pump handle and drives off. The handle stayed connected to the hose, spilled some fuel but not much (maybe a quart or two).
Next the gas attendant is giving me a dirty look for blowing my horn, doesn't realize the guy took off and the nozzle and hose are lying on the ground. (remember, in NJ we don't pump our own gas, not allowed).
Now the attendant is waving at me to pull up. I point to the hose on the ground, he hasn't a clue what I'm pointing at and continues to wave me forward. Now the attendant is getting pissed as I'm still sitting there and yells "pull up". Fine, I pulled up avoiding the nozzle on the ground. The attendant sees the pump finally and asked "what happened"?

How do you not realize the truck pulled away with the nozzle still in the gas tank filler? He has 4 vehicles to watch, not that hard of a job! Luckily for me it didn't cause a spark and set the pump on fire.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Sounds like to me anyway your safety is impaired for trying to get cheep gas,but to each his own

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
Sounds like to me anyway your safety is impaired for trying to get cheep gas,but to each his own

lol. what?

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScorpionBoy:
quote:

lol. what?
Yup, cause that extra .10 per gallon makes people smarter at the pump.

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
in NJ we don't pump our own gas, not allowed

Something seriously wrong with that action.

Any logic to it, or is it just standard-issue labor featherbedding?

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I think they do this in Oregon as well. Why?

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Bet you wish you had a dash cam!

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:

RMD

Because: Liberals.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phantom229:
quote:
Originally posted by ScorpionBoy:
quote:

lol. what?
Yup, cause that extra .10 per gallon makes people smarter at the pump.

If I understand, 45 Cal is saying that the desire for the .10 cheaper gas is a riskier gamble as it draws a greater number of people, and with it "busier", more likely to encounter impatient and selfish assholes, that one would find at all the other places with .10 higher price.

I have a similar logic.

And I don't frequent the same watering hole as all the other animals, if it means going a little out of the way to not be where the gators and lions also feed.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
If I'm going to Costco and they have gas .10 less expensive and it is good gas, I would be foolish to stop at another station and pay more. The station is 25 miles from my house so I fuel up there maybe 15% of the time.

Having attendants pump your gas goes back a long time, was considered a safety concern. You can pump your own diesel, just not gas. Today I paid $1.41 per gallon, not much difference in surrounding states.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
Bet you wish you had a dash cam!

-Rob

I had my phone but was looking to see if I could safely back out in case of fire. Dash cam .would have been great in this situation.

Living the Dream

Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:

RMD

Because: Liberals.

Pretty much. I think it's partly nanny-state crap (dumbass citizens are too stupid to pump their own gas, never mind the 98% of the country that does it just fine) and partly that they don't want to be seen as taking jobs away from the attendants.

ETA: Effective January 1 2018, self-service gas will become legal in 18 "rural" counties in Oregon. Apparently us city slickers are still too dumb to be able to do it without blowing ourselves up. Interestingly (and not surprisingly) the one senator who voted against it (Ginny Burdick, D-Portland), is also the habitual instigator of gun-control attempts.
Link

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I grew up in NJ and worked a gas station for about 6 years. Started off as a gas pumper, then graduated to working on cars as a mechanic. We had 2 bays for car service.

Anyway, the gasoline hoses are "break away" style. A little gas gets spilled, but this ain't the first moron to drive away with the hose still connected.

Man, the stories I could tell about working there. Had a guy give me a joint as a tip once. In the summer hot chicks would come in, wearing short skirts...they had the AC vents pointing toward...well, you know. Not a care in the world when we would wash their windshields... Big Grin

Good times.

Posts: 5734 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
I grew up in NJ and worked a gas station for about 6 years. Started off as a gas pumper, then graduated to working on cars as a mechanic. We had 2 bays for car service.

Anyway, the gasoline hoses are "break away" style. A little gas gets spilled, but this ain't the first moron to drive away with the hose still connected.

Man, the stories I could tell about working there. Had a guy give me a joint as a tip once. In the summer hot chicks would come in, wearing short skirts...they had the AC vents pointing toward...well, you know. Not a care in the world when we would wash their windshields... Big Grin

Good times.

My buddy worked at a gas station when I was in high school. It was the local hang out. This was before break away nozzles. They had the smaller 5' high pumps that mount on the ground. A lady drove off with the nozzle in the tank and ripped the pump right out of the ground and dragged it down the street with the pump then on fire......she went about 200 yards before realizing, stopping, getting out and running, and eventually the pump went out on it's own......LOLOLOLOL Some things you never forget.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
"Today I paid $1.41 per gallon, not much difference in surrounding states."

You gotta be shitting me. We are paying $2.59/gallon here and have to pump it ourself!

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:

You gotta be shitting me. We are paying $2.59/gallon here and have to pump it ourself!

$1.41 in NJ has to be a typo, I just paid $2.49 self service.

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
$3.05 here.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:

My bad $2.41.

Living the Dream

Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:

Good times.

Oh, Lord don't strike me blind!

My Lucille

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Today I paid $1.41 per gallon, not much difference in surrounding states.

It is $2.39 here with diesel at $2.69. Mad

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post