SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Being tall sucks sometimes.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Being tall sucks sometimes. Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Strollers suck. I'm 6'5"... I feel like an A hole making my wife push the stroller around everywhere when we go out with the kids, but my back can't take it. Usually I just take the little guy out and carry him while one of the other kids pushes the empty stroller. And we even have one of the "tall" model strollers...I think it would be about right for somebody who's 5'10". 5'10" is not tall.

My height just about killed me this week. I was out in the garage re-stringing a fishing rod. I had the tackle box open on the side of the boat, and somehow it fell over into the boat and dumped out everywhere. After much cursing, I got a chair and jumped up into the boat to clean it up...and promptly slammed my head into the rafters. Thankfully didn't knock myself out, but I got a decent cut and a big bruise. Stupid ceiling.

Posts: 8541 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
There is a world elsewhere
Picture of Echtermetzger
posted Hide Post
I was in Boston for a convention. I forgot to bring dress pants for an event. I went shopping for a pair of black pants looking for a 36" inseam.

I went to a dept. store. I couldn't find anything longer than 32". I went to another clothing store. Same problem. So I figure, damn, these stores have no idea what tall people need.

So I look for a Big and Tall store in the Backbay area. A 10 or so block walk along beautiful Beacon St. and I walked in. I started going through the dress pants. I wanted black. Or Khaki. Or anything. I found nothing but 34" inseam. I asked the clerk and he just chuckled at a 36" inseam.

I took a look at the clientele of the store. I was clearly the tallest by several inches. They looked at me like I was the starting forward for the Celtics.

Every restaurant and bar we went to, we Midwestern folks stood out.....or rather above the crowd. We couldn't have stood out more had we arrived in longships, wearing steel helmets and longswords.

Anyways, as the party was going on, I went out for a little fresh air and was standing around with some folks near the curb. So there I am, in a black dress polo, black pants (34" inseam), shoes, etc.

So, this car pulls up and this guy jumps out and asks me for directions. I told him I had no idea and he looked at me as if I told him I liked wearing bras. I couldn't figure it out until a colleague of mine pointed out that I looked like a door man/bouncer.

Anyone else get confused for being security or a person of authority simply because of being tall?

A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed.

Posts: 6685 | Location: The hard land of the Winter | Registered: April 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anyone else get confused for being security or a person of authority simply because of being tall?

all the time,
I quit wearing dress shirts , because I looked like someone who knew something

do we want to discuss the Valet parkers and auto mechanics that all seem to be 5 ft 4 inches tall, and never put the car seat back in the original position

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54603 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
The company I work for hired a guy 6'8" tall last week. He had to duck thru all of the doorways in the section where I work and was giving him an orientation! That must get old - I would probably have to wear a helmet if it were me!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
how about when the admitting o.r. nurse trys to get your height , and she can't reach the little stick, to make it touch your noggin

Posts: 54603 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
6'4" with a 32" inseam. Apparently I'm all torso. Big Grin

Local kid works checkout at a store... first time I saw him I thought he was standing on a milk crate or something behind the register. At 6'4" I look him dead in the chest. No idea how tall he is but it can't be fun.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fullmann
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Echtermetzger:

Happens a lot actually, surprises me every time.

When I started my current job, they all thought I was a cop working under cover. Some still do.

I tell my wife that I could never shave my head because of the scars from running into stuff. I also joke with her that she only keeps me around to reach the top shelf.

I'm sure we make a sight when out and about, I'm 6'6" and she's all of 5'.

Any of you get targeted out and about by the shorter crew?

Had a guy sucker punch me once, he had to jump to connect, and was already turned and running by the time his feet hit the ground. I'm pretty sure he was running his mouth to his buddies how bad ass he was, they then pointed at the tallest guy in the place and told him to prove it.

Posts: 412 | Location: Mid Michigan  | Registered: June 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fullmann:
quote:
Originally posted by Echtermetzger:

Any of you get targeted out and about by the shorter crew?

Had a guy sucker punch me once, he had to jump to connect, and was already turned and running by the time his feet hit the ground. I'm pretty sure he was running his mouth to his buddies how bad ass he was, they then pointed at the tallest guy in the place and told him to prove it.

Many times. I've had to adjust a few attitudes. A few times just standing up has deterred an unsuspecting a hole, though. I stood up on one guy and when he came to his senses and was walking away, he told his buddy "that gorilla was going to kill me". Haha!

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by enidpd804:
I'm only 6'2" but all arms and legs. I have long-term injuries from bumping into stuff my whole life.
Similar, but 6'3" Buying clothing is a royal pain in the ass.

Many years ago when it was customary to wear a suit to work, I bought my shirts at The Custom Shop, made to measure. Now, just trying to find a T-shirt or polo in a TALL size is aggravating. I need shorts that have a slightly longer inseam, so they don't find my like Daisy Dukes. Jeans or khakis with a 36" inseam are tough to find.

Look for a DXL store near you.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
6'4" with a 32" inseam. Apparently I'm all torso. Big Grin

Somethin' just ain't right with dat boy. Smile

You have nearly 8" of height over me but wear the same size inseam. I can see shopping being a challenge and sympathize with you. OTOH: If you were one of those tall guys that played keep away from us short differently statured people in high school, it's your penance here on Earth. Big Grin

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
on the whole job advantage aspect.

It goes both ways, yes I got two or three jobs because I was big.

But I also lost at least three jobs because of "little mans syndrome"

The boss was 5 ft 3 and a half and actually held my size against me . well that was horse shit .

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
on the whole job advantage aspect.

It goes both ways, yes I got two or three jobs because I was big.

But I also lost at least three jobs because of "little mans syndrome"

The boss was 5 ft 3 and a half and actually held my size against me . well that was horse shit .
Yup. I worked for a Chief in the Navy, he was an evil foul little shrimp. If you were taller than 5'10" or so, you were automatically on his shit list. I was (still am) just a tad over 6'3" so I was five inches over the line. He and I butted heads for almost three years.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail: Yup. I worked for a Chief in the Navy, he was an evil foul little shrimp. If you were taller than 5'10" or so, you were automatically on his shit list.

It's interesting that you guys object to being judged by your height, yet refer to "little man syndrome" and refer to another as "little shrimp". Is it not possible that the people you had problems with were just assholes independent of their stature?

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
I’ve shrunk to about 6'1" over the years and that’s tall enough.

Yep, shrinkage. I used to be 6'2 1/2, but I'm down to almost 6'1", some due to age/gravity, some due to seven knee surgeries taking more out than they put in.

Being tall sucks most during air travel. Smaller people like my wife don't understand how uncomfortable it can be.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10353 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail: Yup. I worked for a Chief in the Navy, he was an evil foul little shrimp. If you were taller than 5'10" or so, you were automatically on his shit list.
It's interesting that you guys object to being judged by your height, yet refer to "little man syndrome" and refer to another as "little shrimp". Is it not possible that the people you had problems with were just assholes independent of their stature?
That's a good question, Doc, and your characterization is probably true much of the time.

However, in the particular case that I mentioned, the empirical evidence would tend to indicate that it truly was "little man syndrome." I worked for this guy for almost three years and I "observed a lot by just watching." Every tall guy in the squadron, without exception, was treated badly by this pipsqueak of a jerk.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dgrdvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by enidpd804:
I'm only 6'2" but all arms and legs. I have long-term injuries from bumping into stuff my whole life.
Similar, but 6'3" Buying clothing is a royal pain in the ass.

Many years ago when it was customary to wear a suit to work, I bought my shirts at The Custom Shop, made to measure. Now, just trying to find a T-shirt or polo in a TALL size is aggravating. I need shorts that have a slightly longer inseam, so they don't find my like Daisy Dukes. Jeans or khakis with a 36" inseam are tough to find.

Look for a DXL store near you.

Or look for a place that sells Carhart - I only get the carpenter jeans from them now as 38 inseam is actually fairly easy to find. And they are good pants

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are stupider than that'
George Carlin

Posts: 504 | Location: St Louis | Registered: June 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

There is an actual state of mind that some smaller men possess. and they can go through life with , weather they realize it or not.

http://www.healthguidance.org/...drome-Explained.html

fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
6'3", 35" inseam, 37" sleeve. Lands End and Duluth Trading is where I find stuff that fits. I apparently project the illusion of extra height as I get told all the time I must be at least 6'4".

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
Wait a minute. This is the start of a joke. Tall guy walks into a bar.......

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AZSigs:
Wait a minute. This is the start of a joke. Tall guy walks into a bar.......

.. and tells the bartender to not short him on his drink order.

BTW, the NRA Store is advertising T-Shirts that are cut 4" longer than normal. Just in case anyone is looking:

http://www.nrastore.com/the-lo...l&utm_campaign=CT906

Posts: 2771 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post