SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Clorox and their useless pool test kits
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Clorox and their useless pool test kits Login/Join 
Picture of 226Reasons
posted
Don't bother with them they are useless. Damn kits probably cost me $200 and now I'm using the test kit I should have started with taylor k-2006, lots to repair from the inconsistent clorox readings and app. After a week of constant monitoring and treatment my water is cloudy blue and I can see bottom again. No thanks to clorox. If you own a pool you really only need 6 items to maintain it: a proper test kit (taylor k-2006 or tf-100), 8-10% bleach, borax, baking soda, muriatic acid, and cya(chlorine stabilizer). Search trouble free pool in your favorite search engine and you can learn how it all works. Moving forward I may be switching to a saltwater chlorine generator as it is easier to manage chlorine levels.

Posts: 1327 | Location: TN | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Didn't know Clorox made test kits.

Back when I managed pools in HS/College Taylor was what everyone used. Used both the liquid drops and tables test kits. Prefer the liquid drops but both worked.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
No pool = no problems

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use these strips with my swim spa and they're great.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fusternc
posted Hide Post
I use and love the Taylor kit with my SWG pool. I havent tried the Clorox test strips but have used the Clorox liquid Chlorine and pH kit and it seems ok....I do wish the Chlorine color differentiation was a little more easily delineated though.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Fusternc,

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Another swg guy here. Love the system but have been using the test strip type of testing kits. As soon as they are done with Im going to switch over to a liquid kit like the Taylor. Strips blow, I cant seem to match the little squares to the point of certainty.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7506 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I just stop into Leslie's with a sample while out running weekend errands.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15289 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you own a pool and tired of spending big bucks at the pool store check out TFP ( trouble free pools ) it’s a great forum just like this one.

Guns-I have some

Posts: 213 | Location: missouri | Registered: December 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
At least you seem like you know what you’re doing with the chems.

I pity the poor saps who buy “pool chemicals”, rely on dichlor or trichlor tabs/granules to chlorinate and then end up with off the chart CYA and chlorine lock before they know what hit them. Oh, and they paid insane prices for the chems, too.

Don’t get me started on opening/closing. They have no idea that “shock” is a verb, not a really, really expensive chlorine.

I’ve thought about opening a store right next to Leslie’s where all I’d sell would be commercial grade bleach, borax, baking soda, etc., in bulk at wholesale prices. And Taylor test kits.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dkjbama
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 226Reasons:
Don't bother with them they are useless. Damn kits probably cost me $200 and now I'm using the test kit I should have started with taylor k-2006, lots to repair from the inconsistent clorox readings and app. After a week of constant monitoring and treatment my water is cloudy blue and I can see bottom again. No thanks to clorox. If you own a pool you really only need 6 items to maintain it: a proper test kit (taylor k-2006 or tf-100), 8-10% bleach, borax, baking soda, muriatic acid, and cya(chlorine stabilizer). Search trouble free pool in your favorite search engine and you can learn how it all works. Moving forward I may be switching to a saltwater chlorine generator as it is easier to manage chlorine levels.

Congrats on finding troublefreepool.com. I'm 6 years into the method. It works without fail. Have never had algae or cloudy water in those 6 years and my water has ZERO smell to it. If I cannot see the slots in the screwheads on the main drain covers through 8 ft of water, the water is not clear enough.

Keep hitting it with the bleach till its clear and passes OCLT.

This thread is useless without test numbers so Big Grin
Mine:
FC 7.0
pH 7.7
TA 60
CH 270
CYA 70
Salt 2800
Borates 45
Temp 91

PS The Poolpal app for android phones absolutely rocks. Every bit of the functionality of poolcalculator and easy to use on the phone right next to the pool.

Posts: 775 | Location: NW Alabama | Registered: January 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 226Reasons
posted Hide Post
Pool is finally clear. We have been vaccuuming to waste for 3 days and topping off.

Ph 7.0
Fc 14ppm
Cc .5ppm
Ch 150ppm
Ta 120ppm
Cya 80ppm way too high for liquid chlorine I know, we are considering switching to swcg so I am trying to lower it just a bit to make the interim chlorine dosing more manageable, but otherwise we can keep that level with a swcg.

Now that I understand these variables and acceptable ranges keeping the water clear should not be an issue, but buying a proper testing kit is a must. Cheap kits from big box stores don't give quality results as I have learned.

Posts: 1327 | Location: TN | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post