SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Why do they package soil wet?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why do they package soil wet? Login/Join 
Picture of dlc444
posted
So our backyard is under renovation. The wife wanted to repot several plants into bigger containers and we needed a couple bags of soil

I decided to get two bags, two cubic yards each. These things are back breakers.

Reading the packaging, it says "dry weight 26 pounds, net weight 48." These things were $7 each.

I have water at home, come straight out of the hose. Why on earth are they paying for shipping 2x the weight from point A to point B. As a consumer, I would prefer to carry half the weight.

-.---.----.. -.---.----.. -.---.----..
It seems to me that any law that is not enforced and can't be enforced weakens all other laws.

Posts: 4357 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A cubic yard of soil will weigh a LOT more than 26 lbs dry.

4 cubic yards of soil will cover an area 20’ X 11’ to a depth of 6”

Posts: 1053 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dlc444
posted Hide Post
Just reading the packaging. I wouldn't want to buy wet concrete either.

It seems to me that any law that is not enforced and can't be enforced weakens all other laws.

Posts: 4357 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Just a guess, they can compact soil when it is damp easier than when it is dry and fluffy.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flow first,
power later.
posted Hide Post
I’m sure it soaks up moisture sitting outside at HD or Lowe’s

Posts: 672 | Location: Tampa | Registered: September 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Dood! If you can pick up a cubic yard of soil, dry OR wet, you da MAN!

I suspect you meant cubic feet...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suspect the bags are in cubic feet, not yards.

A yard of soil, dry, will weigh over 1,000 lbs.

Posts: 1053 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
From my days of working at a concrete batch plant, A yard of concrete including the water is + - 4,000lbs. 440 cement, around 1600 stone and 1700 sand. It varied with the moisture content of the sand. Water was around 40 gallons.

This is for a 3,000 PSI load.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dlc444
posted Hide Post
Yes, it is cubic feet.

Still doesn't answer the question of why they package it wet

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dlc444:

Still doesn't answer the question of why they package it wet

Maybe they don't. Maybe it get's wet in transit?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12351 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
Just a guess, they can compact soil when it is damp easier than when it is dry and fluffy.

That and/or it's easier to dig and pack it when it's damp, with less blow-off.

I'm thinking back to shoveling clumps of damp dirt vs. piles of dry dirt and the resulting clouds of dust.

Posts: 32432 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Like others, I'd say it's to keep the dust down and limit product loss during the packaging process.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You really do not want to know. You assume that the wetness is water, think of other liquids.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
The only thing that I could think of would be packaging size. Damp would be smaller. Able to ship more packages wet than dry.

Posts: 3200 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My guess is there are live organisms living in the soil and all living things need water.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
From my days of working at a concrete batch plant, A yard of concrete including the water is + - 4,000lbs. 440 cement, around 1600 stone and 1700 sand. It varied with the moisture content of the sand. Water was around 40 gallons.

What does this have to do with the question ?

Posts: 3971 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
quote:

What does this have to do with the question ?

Because everyone is so focused on a simple typo where the OP said yards instead of feet. Even though everyone knows what he meant to say they have to point out how much 1 yard of dirt weighs.

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post