SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Amazon Locker
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Amazon Locker Login/Join 
On the DL
Picture of V-Tail
posted
If you're not familiar with Amazon lockers, imagine a wall with bus-station type lockers against a wall outside of your neighborhood 7-Eleven. Your order can be delivered there.

Advantage to Amazon: They can unload a whole batch of orders in one place, no driving around, burning fuel, looking for an address.

Advantage to Customer: Your order is not left outside your door for Porch Pirates. It is securely locked until you pick it up. It is available 24 / 7.

Good theory, if it actually works.

I received the email from Amazon telling me that my order is in a locker, ready for pickup. The email contains a barcode that can be scanned from a smart phone at the locker control panel and a six digit numerical code that you can enter on a keypad if you don't have a scannable smart phone screen.

I go to the locker at the 7-Eleven that is just over 1/2 mile from my house. Hold my phone up to the scanner as I have done many times in the past and I am rewarded with a message on the screen that says "CODE ACCEPTED," followed by a series of beeps. At this point I expect to see one of the locker doors on the wall pop open. Nope, what I see instead is another message on the screen: "A TECHNICAL ERROR HAS OCCURRED."

Try again, same result. OK, I'll enter the six-digit code using the keypad. Same result: "CODE ACCEPTED," beep beep beep beep beep . . . "A TECHNICAL ERROR HAS OCCURRED."

Drat! (other expletives, too.) Go home, blow two hours -- TWO HOURS -- in a chat session, transferred from one person with an unpronounceable name to another. Can Amazon get the package delivered to my house? Nope. Can you have somebody from Amazon Logistics meet me there this evening to open the locker for me? Nope, but we can have the locker serviced within 24 hours.

24 hours? Did I mention that this is a perishable food item in a metal locker in Central Florida, where the temperature is steady in the mid-to-upper 90s every day?

Amazon, you can kiss my grits.

A mind is a terrible thing.

Posts: 21182 | Location: Central Florida (near Orlando) | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
I thought they were a great idea when i first heard about them but i have to admit that i assumed that they would work.

“Banning guns is like banning forks in an attempt to stop making people fat.” - Vince Vaughn

Posts: 3155 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the DL
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:

I thought they were a great idea when i first heard about them but i have to admit that i assumed that they would work.
I never thought about the possibility inevitable likelihood that they would not work.

They always worked for me until the first time I ordered some perishable food.

Posts: 21182 | Location: Central Florida (near Orlando) | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
24 hours? Did I mention that this is a perishable food item in a metal locker in Central Florida, where the temperature is steady in the mid-to-upper 90s every day?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Wait till you find the locker does not contain the order you requested. Another chat session with Habib follows. Hope it is gilfite fish. They can enjoy the odor for days.

Posts: 5828 | Location: MS GULF COAST | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Just wait until the drones are making deliveries right to your door. What could possibly go wrong?

Posts: 4911 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Only place anywhere near me that has them is a college which makes sense for a large University. No way would I want to use those beside it a little too far of a drive.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 15178 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the DL
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:

Just wait until the drones are making deliveries right to your door. What could possibly go wrong?
If you don't want a drone flying around your property and maybe slamming into the windows on your house before leaving the package for the Porch Pirates, you could always buy an Amazon Key kit to to open your house for whichever paroled felon they are using for delivery drivers.

I believe that the Amazon Key kit starts at $250.00 for the very basic kit, and goes up from there. Optional extra cost if you want the video of the entry into your house to be available for more than 24 hours. You know, so that you can retrieve it to attach to the police report.

On the DL
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:

Only place anywhere near me that has them is a college which makes sense for a large University. No way would I want to use those beside it a little too far of a drive.
Around here (Orlando area) they are outside many 7-Eleven stores, maybe other locations too.

The one that I used, make that "tried to use," is about 1/2 mile from my house. Maybe five or six minutes driving time, probably a minute or two more if I were confident enough to use a bicycle (I am terrified of falling, having been through surgery and rehab after a hip fracture). It would be very convenient, if the damned thing would work reliably, or if Amazon went the extra mile when the locker failed to function properly.

Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:

Around here (Orlando area) they are outside many 7-Eleven stores, maybe other locations too.

The one that I used, make that "tried to use," is about 1/2 mile from my house. Maybe five or six minutes driving time, probably a minute or two more if I were confident enough to use a bicycle (I am terrified of falling, having been through surgery and rehab after a hip fracture). It would be very convenient, if the damned thing would work reliably, or if Amazon went the extra mile when the locker failed to function properly.

Theres one on UCF campus that's a 4 alarm fire every time i've been over there, but I now avoid like the plague. Doesn't make sense for you being North of Orlando, but I've always wondered about these lockers and technical difficulties.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Scotch: Neat.

Posts: 8646 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the DL
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I thought about this for a bit, and I wound up forwarding the Notice from Amazon, telling me that the order was ready for pickup at the locker, to the HMFIC (yeah, I know, acronym -- google it) at Amazon along with a concise summary of the problem, including a description of the two hours wasted in a chat session, being shuttled from one Amazon representative to another, apparently in a different country with a culture that is very different from ours, each with varying levels of command of the English language.

I will report back if and when I receive a response.

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
[voice over]"People getting mugged at the Amazon Lockers for their swag, next, after these messages..."

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" I could explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Posts: 39471 | Location: fl | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the DL
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

[voice over]"People getting mugged at the Amazon Lockers for their swag, next, after these messages..."
That's why we have SIGs.

posted Hide Post
Maybe I'm different than most folks, but if I have to depend on toting a gun to a central location to access my order..........I probably won't use that service.

Keeping in mind, when out in non-working hours I'm armed, but thats not the point.

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1476 | Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL - its a dry heat....... | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the DL
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soflaac:

Maybe I'm different than most folks, but if I have to depend on toting a gun to a central location to access my order..........I probably won't use that service.

Keeping in mind, when out in non-working hours I'm armed, but thats not the point.
I was responding to SigMonkey's humor.

I really don't think it's any different from being out and about anyplace else in the community.

One of the situations that I perceive as risky is the walk between my car and the entrance door, in the bank parking lot. Doesn't mean that I won't go to the bank, but it does mean that I am very observant of what's going on.

posted Hide Post
Ok what perishable item was in the Amazon locker?

Posts: 5828 | Location: MS GULF COAST | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I’m trying to get off Amazon. They treat their employees like slaves in the warehouses.

F your instagram!

Posts: 9399 | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the DL
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

Ok what perishable item was in the Amazon locker?
A food item. Today is the third day that it has been in there, daytime temperatures have been running in the mid to upper 90s, nighttime lows in the mid 70s.

Care to sample a nice bacterial culture?

I'm not having any; my immune system is already compromised.

posted Hide Post
I am always curious when someone uses a nondescript term like perishable food item rather than state what the item was. I was not aware you could order food from Amazon. Your waffle fries should be fine with the heat.

Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am always curious when someone uses a nondescript term like perishable food item rather than state what the item was. I was not aware you could order food from Amazon. Your waffle fries should be fine with the heat.

maybe it's edible underwear.

Chances are high; you won't like what I've got to say.

Posts: 7943 | Location: Live from the high desert and the great American southwest! | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the DL
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

I was not aware you could order food from Amazon.
Where have you been? Many food items on Amazon. Hundreds. Thousands. Have you looked?

This was a two-pound container of halvah. I am not going to eat it after three days in this heat. If not picked up in x days they take it back and issue a refund. I'll just let them take it back.