SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Dr. told me to start taking Fish Oil
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dr. told me to start taking Fish Oil Login/Join 
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
May I ask why your doctor recommended to start taking it for you, I'm just curious?

I guess for the Omega-3's? Trying to fight my family history of cardiovascular disease and I guess the results of a stress test prompted him to "prescribe" it. If it helps stave off potential heart issues, guess I'll do it. My regular doctor didn't contradict it, so I guess I'll continue...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Be careful, Fish oil has a tendancy to give some people diarrhea.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
This is a really good place to get very high quality, in my opinion, vitamins minerals and supplements. Maybe this might be of use to you.

Good luck to you.

Check out the Enteric coated for no burp back.

Nutrition Express

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PossibleZombie:

supplemental fish oil does not relieve symptoms of dry eye or help ease arthritis pain and inflammation.
However, it does burn fat, it prevents baldness, and improves your sex life, as well as increasing your chances to win the PowerBall.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
I had high triglycerides and slightly elevated cholesterol and the fish oil significantly cut my triglycerides and my cholesterol went down as well. I take one in the morning and one at night...the burpless stuff. I’ve been doing this for 9 years. I did have a few fishy burps when I first took them but it stopped soon after.

Posts: 4518 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
I have been taking fish oil capsules for about 15 yrs. I buy mine at Sam's. They are 1400mg, however what my Dr. wanted me to take is 3500mg of EPA+DHA, i.e Omega 3. 2 every morning and 2 every evening. I don't get the burps but it took a few months till the fish taste went away.
YMMV

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob RI:
I had high triglycerides and slightly elevated cholesterol and the fish oil significantly cut my triglycerides and my cholesterol went down as well.

Ahhhh...THAT'S the ticket! My tri-g's are high and my HDL is low...opposite of what they should be. My total Cholesterol and LDL are controlled nicely with a generic Lipitor, but I'd LOVE to get off that! Reversing the tri-g's and HDL is actually pretty easy with exercise, which I started, but I'm sure the fish oil will help as well. Thanks for that reminder, sir!!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by PossibleZombie:
The healthy benefits of fish oil pills have already been debunked, it sounds like your doctor is behind the times.

https://www.health.harvard.edu...benefits-to-fish-oil
Can you post the article here? I can't see it on the harvard.edu website unless I log in.

I have read a couple different studies and at best they were unconvincing one way or the other and some I have read concluded with "considering what is happening to the oceans fish population..." which leads me to believe results may have been agenda driven. IMO one should at least try fish oil to see if it benefits them. In my case my bad cholesterol numbers went down significantly. My total cholesterol used to be around 200 and in the years since is closer to 100. Coincidence? Maybe but maybe not.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
quote:
May I ask why your doctor recommended to start taking it for you, I'm just curious?

I guess for the Omega-3's? Trying to fight my family history of cardiovascular disease and I guess the results of a stress test prompted him to "prescribe" it. If it helps stave off potential heart issues, guess I'll do it. My regular doctor didn't contradict it, so I guess I'll continue...

Thanks for the reply. I'm interested in learning about these tips. I ended up a few months back having a stent and roto rooter job on a valve so I may be adding the omega 3's to my daily's. Certainly could be of benefit.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
I almost jumped into it without thinking about the heart meds I'm currently stuck taking daily..
furosemide, metoprolol er succinate and 81mg of aspirin that I have to take for a few years. I found this article and thought it may be best to speak to my doc first before mixing with the omega 3's. I did find some good omega's from my usual online supplement store the Vitamin Shoppe though.

------------------------------------------------
What other drugs will affect Fish Oil?
Tell your doctor about all other medicines you use, especially:

estrogens (birth control pills or hormone replacement);
a blood thinner such as warfarin (Coumadin, Jantoven);
a beta-blocker such as atenolol (Tenormin, Tenoretic), carvedilol (Coreg), labetalol (Normodyne, Trandate), metoprolol (Dutoprol, Lopressor, Toprol), nadolol (Corgard), propranolol (Inderal, InnoPran), sotalol (Betapace), and others; or
a diuretic (water pill) such as chlorothiazide (Diuril), hydrochlorothiazide (HydroDIURIL, Microzide), chlorthalidone (Hygroton, Thalitone), indapamide (Lozol), metolazone (Mykrox, Zaroxolyn), and other's.
------------------------------------------------
I know the low dose aspirin is a blood thinner, so I'll have to check that and the furosemide is like a water pill.

Did your Dr recommend any particular brand to take?

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
I'm going to give these a shot. I'm tired of taking the metoprolol, furosemide, and low dose aspirin. I do feel certain side effects from the metoprolol and would rather give naturals a try.

Regards, Will G.

Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Did the doc tell you why he prescribed Metoprolol? It has many uses and I was put on it to slow my resting heart rate. It was up in the 90's, but now it's routinely mid to upper 70's on the med. I'm hoping as I continue my cardio workouts and lose weight, my resting heart rate will go down and I can wean off the meds. That's the goal, at least...

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm going to give these a shot. I'm tired of taking the metoprolol, furosemide, and low dose aspirin. I do feel certain side effects from the metoprolol and would rather give naturals a try.
Will, please be careful about discontinuing a med that your doctor prescribed. Speak with him / her about it, first. I googled metoprolol side effects (I am taking it, so I was curious), and found this: "Don't stop taking metoprolol suddenly. If you do, you may experience worse chest pain, a jump in blood pressure, or even have a heart attack. Stopping metoprolol is not recommended. If you need to stop taking the drug, first talk to your doctor."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you like fish, sardines are good source for Omega-3s. I like King Oscar bristling sardines in olive oil and also Season brand Moroccan sardines. The King Oscars are a small fillet that still has the skin and tail on but are very tender. The Season brand are larger, skinless and a bit more hearty. Might have a spine or bones you eat too. Both offer a bunch of varieties.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did the doc tell you why he prescribed Metoprolol?

He was the cardiologist from the hospital I went to when I had the heart attack. He cleaned my valves and did the stentwork. He told me that I had to at least take those three meds I listed for at least two years.

"Will, please be careful about discontinuing a med that your doctor prescribed. Speak with him / her about it, first. I googled metoprolol side effects (I am taking it, so I was curious), and found this: "Don't stop taking metoprolol suddenly. If you do, you may experience worse chest pain, a jump in blood pressure, or even have a heart attack. Stopping metoprolol is not recommended. If you need to stop taking the drug, first talk to your doctor."

Thanks for the info V-Tail, I've been meaning to email you again the next couple of days. I read online something about stopping the metoprolol and the effects. I wish I could tapper off it but just have the one dosage. I wouldn't mind trying something else. I think your right V, I'm going to try and hold off as I have a doc appt upcoming and maybe he can suggest something else. I think it's classified as a beta blocker?

Regards, Will G.

Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I do love (good) sardines...I asked my Primary Care Doc about eating them was good or bad...he said if I like them to eat them until I'm sick of them, no harm no foul (a good source of fish oil) I will usually scarf down maybe two cans a week (maybe three) with soda crackers for a quick lunch/snack...tasty and if I burp I'm burping food Big Grin...these are pretty damn tasty with Premium (is there any other) brand soda crackers and a squeeze of Sarichi Rooster sauce (I've been eating them for years and they keep you "regular" Wink )...

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm going to try and hold off as I have a doc appt upcoming and maybe he can suggest something else. I think it's classified as a beta blocker?

You are correct...beta blocker. I'm sure there are lower and lower dosages you can take over time to wean yourself off. If you're already at 25mg (lowest dosage I can see), then maybe you can start skipping a day for a week, then skip 2 days in week 2, etc., etc. All with doctor's orders, of course. Please keep us informed, sir!

Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
Had the same problem, switched to these and problem solved.

Yes they do cost more.

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7629 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
quote:
I'm going to try and hold off as I have a doc appt upcoming and maybe he can suggest something else. I think it's classified as a beta blocker?

You are correct...beta blocker. I'm sure there are lower and lower dosages you can take over time to wean yourself off. If you're already at 25mg (lowest dosage I can see), then maybe you can start skipping a day for a week, then skip 2 days in week 2, etc., etc. All with doctor's orders, of course. Please keep us informed, sir!

Will do era_pilot. I did some follow-up reading on the side effects of the metoprolol drug. Lots of info. It seems that many others are having some of the same issues and side effects I have. Also read up on alternative drugs that are of the same classification that may be a good substitute. I wish that I could just eliminate prescription meds altogether and strictly use natural supplements. Maybe at some point I will.

Regards, Will G.

Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I get the one at Costco. I have yet to taste it.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post