SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Dr. told me to start taking Fish Oil
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dr. told me to start taking Fish Oil Login/Join 
Picture of erj_pilot
posted
2,000mg twice per day. Can I tell you I'm already sick and tired of the fish burps?? Good lord, it's disgusting... Red Face

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
I buy the burpless kind. Little more expensive but worth it to me. Local Meijer often has buy one get one free on their vitamins and supplements.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I saw that and was immediately skeptical. So is it really burpless??

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Me too. I have found if you drink some water a few minutes after taking them the fish burps don't happen. The ones I have now say " lemon flavor to control fishy aftertaste" FAKE NEWS

Posts: 5299 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Mrs.BurtonRW prefers flaxseed oil for that reason. It doesn't have to be fish - he just wants you to have the E.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
Been taking fish oil for years. Never had an issue with taste or burps...

I buy whatever is on sale that day at Walgreens.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
Freeze them. It should reduce the burps. I freeze mine and never have burps or an upset stomach.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
2,000mg twice per day. Can I tell you I'm already sick and tired of the fish burps?? Good lord, it's disgusting... Red Face

May I ask why your doctor recommended to start taking it for you, I'm just curious? I take several vitamins to supplement daily food choices, have for many, many, years. My late Grandmother interested me in taking vitamin supplements in the early 70's.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I have taken fish oil along with red yeast rice to control my cholesterol and it has done that. I don't take statins and never will. I can't recall ever having a problem with burping or fish taste. Maybe it's just my metabolism.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
What cheesegrits said.

Keep them in the freezer.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
You can try the Krill Oil as well. Seems to offer the same benefits and is (for me) burpless. We usually buy the Sam's Club branded (cheaper) rather than the Mega Red brand.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I don't take mine all the time, but when I do it's last thing before bedtime. If you sleep hard like I do, I don't generally have residual issues next day.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The healthy benefits of fish oil pills have already been debunked, it sounds like your doctor is behind the times.

https://www.health.harvard.edu...benefits-to-fish-oil

Posts: 2014 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PossibleZombie:
The healthy benefits of fish oil pills have already been debunked, it sounds like your doctor is behind the times.

Can you post the article here? I can't see it on the harvard.edu website unless I log in.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PossibleZombie:

It knocked my cholesterol WAY down.

However I hate the fish burps too.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
I started taking Krill, at my parents suggestion. Even my doc stated that it shouldn't have a major impact on cholesterol levels, but one of the "side effects" is it is also anti-inflammatory.

I blew out my knee in a motorcycle accident, and walk about 16 miles a day. I have arthritis in my knee, post surgery. I noticed within 3 days of taking Krill, I barely even notice it.

If you shop around, you can usually find it BOGO. No fish burps.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
I saw that and was immediately skeptical. So is it really burpless??

For me it has been. Best thing to do is try a bottle next time and see how it works for you.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dgrdvm
posted Hide Post
I take Nodic Naturals. Seem to more purified EPA and DHA than Walmart stuff, and I do not taste any fishy burps like I do the cheap stuff. It help with my high mileage joint issues. Your results may vary, but give it a shot. Flaxseed has a bunch of ALA, which is an omega 3 fatty acid that can be converted to DHA and EPA, just not efficiently. The anti inflammatory benefits are thought to be from DHA and EPA, not so much ALA. Flaxseed also has omega 6 fatty acids that can be pro inflammatory. Pay attention to the 6:3 ratio if you can

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are stupider than that'
George Carlin

Posts: 504 | Location: St Louis | Registered: June 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Careful at that dose.... Not much more can trigger brain bleeds. I take the same dosage and that was told to me by doc.

Posts: 465 | Location: Pell City, AL. U.S. | Registered: December 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are there any health benefits to fish oil?
On call
Published: August, 2018

Image: © BrianAJackson/Getty Images

Q. I take fish oil supplements for heart health, but now I hear they aren't helpful. What's the truth?

A. Fish intake remains an important part of a healthy diet, but the enthusiasm for fish oil supplements has been dampened by several recent studies that showed no benefit for a variety of conditions.

Researchers have observed for decades that people who eat fish prepared healthfully (not fried) have a lower risk for heart disease. Some of this benefit no doubt involves the use of fish to replace less healthy foods. Yet omega-3 fatty acids, which are abundant in fish, are another explanation. Our bodies don't make these fatty acids, so they need to come from our diet, and fish or fish oil supplements have the highest amounts.

Although some early studies in men with heart disease showed some benefit from omega-3 fatty acids whether from food or supplements, most research involving healthy people shows no convincing evidence that taking fish oil supplements reduces heart disease risk. In fact, a recent summary of the use of fish oil supplements, published in JAMA Cardiology, concluded there was no heart benefit for people with or without existing heart disease. Other uses for fish oil remain popular but also have proved disappointing in studies. For instance, recent trials have found that supplemental fish oil does not relieve symptoms of dry eye or help ease arthritis pain and inflammation.

— by William Kormos, M.D.
Editor in Chief, Harvard Men's Health Watch

Posts: 2014 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post