SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Something Bad Is Going On With My Knee
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Something Bad Is Going On With My Knee Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
I started to notice it yesterday afternoon, but it wasn't too bad. Today, around noon, it really hit hard. After graduating from walker to cane a couple years ago, I had to regress to walker today.

This is a symptom that I have not had before. I'm relatively pain-free if I keep my right leg fully extended with my knee sort of locked straight, but if I put the slightest weight on that leg with my knee bent even a little, there is fairly intense pain in the back side of my leg, behind the knee.

I have no idea what's going on. Somehow, stuff like this always happens on a weekend, when doctors' offices are not open. If it doesn't improve by Monday I'll get my narrow ass to a local orthopedic clinic, or a physiatrist. If it gets much worse over the weekend, I'll go to the ER.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Sorry to read this...said a little prayer of comfort and healing for you.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
Sounds like it could be a bakers cyst. It hits behind the knee and in my case I was playing tennis and the pain came suddenly, buckled my knee and put me on the ground. Cortisone helped but in most cases these cysts tend to drain on their own.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Poking and prodding around back there, I don't feel anything like a cyst, nor anything that doesn't seem to belong there (I don't think there are any missing parts, either).

Nor do I play tennis, so that's probably not the answer. Wink

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Same side as the hip fracture? They will manipulate the knee some, and do an MRI and then have some idea. In the meantime stay off of it, elevate and perhaps ice it.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

Same side as the hip fracture?
Same side, the fracture was four years ago, have not had any problems since the supporting rods were installed.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
Ugh...sorry to hear this. I already set an appointment next week with my orthopedic...and of course I have no idea what I did to cause the pain this time. That’s why I came over with “the boy” today and used the winch. :-)

Chuck

Life's tough...tougher if you're stupid

(AKA "cwr" on SIGforum [email account issues])

Posts: 358 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: February 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Hi L.R. I couldn't even begin to guess whats going on especially when you described it to be on the back side of your leg, behind the knee. If they do need to do some repair work or otherwise, what I've used for sometime now for the knee whenever I have some real discomfort. I purchased this velcro band with a gel pack that you can toss into the microwave for a short time or put it in the freezer for either hot/cold treatment, which ever you prefer for a bit of pain relief. Soon or a later I need to have the back side of the right knee cap scraped the Dr said. I've just put it off for now. But if I do have the annoying pain I put the gel pack in the freezer for a bit and strap it on for relief. The cold treatment seems to alleviate the pain. So if you do have some future repairs or to help some with a little pain management you might give this velcro strap/band, hot/cold a go.

In any event I wish you well and I'll offer a prayer your way Smile

I partially pulled the gel pack out of it's pouch for the photo but it slides into it's pouch for use.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Hey Will -- my wife has something like that. I might give it a try.
ps: Chuck "cwr67" had a few nice holsters for that pistol, that he karma'd to me today when he came over with his son to pick up the BMW motorcycle. He used to use the same model for backup when he was working (cop), sold the pistols but had holsters left over.

Also, a local store has ordered some ammunition for me, so I should be set to have a bit of fun next week if my knee is good enough to go to the range by the time the ammunition order arrives.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
L.R. If you do get that knee better, keep me posted and let me know how that little bugger shoots...always wondered about it. Feel better my friend Smile

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Hope ya feel better quick V-Tail!

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coloradohunter44:

Hope ya feel better quick V-Tail!
Thanks. There’s no way I could apply right rudder now.

Orthopedic clinic in the area has walk-in hours today, I’m getting ready to go there.

Good thing my wife is home today, I might need help putting shoes on.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
<snip>
There’s no way I could apply right rudder now.
<snip>

You might have to trade your Bonanza in on an Ercoupe:

“Lacking rudder pedals, the Ercoupe was flown using only the control wheel. A two-control system linked the rudder and aileron systems, which controlled yaw and roll, with the steerable nosewheel.”

Seriously, I’m sorry to hear of your problem – hope it improves soon.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8952 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How did it go? Walk in orthopedic clinics do not exist here, and there is a wait to see an orthopedist after an injury unless you are unfortunate enough to be hospitalized.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG Forum Lurker
posted Hide Post
Going through the same thing. Only way to determine problem is to get x-rays and mri. Mine determined I have some arthritis under the right knee cap and severe degenerative medial and lateral meniscus. Cortisone shot cured the hurt and allowed me to walk semi-normal. If later on the cortisone proves ineffective, then my Dr recommended a “lube” shot for the knee. Surgery was the last thing he recommended. I guess 20 years running in the Corps and 18 as a LEO has taken its toll. Best of luck to you.

Posts: 65 | Location: Texas | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try using a brace. Even a simple brace might help.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Welp (see what I did there?), I got myself to the orthopedic clinic yesterday (Saturday). Very efficient people.

Eyeball exam, poking and prodding, and X-rays did not reveal anything. They were concerned about the possibility of a blood clot and they are not equipped to diagnose vascular problems, so they sent me to a local Emergency Treatment center for Doppler ultrasound.

No blood clot, but the ultrasound did confirm SIGforum member RogB's diagnosis of Baker's cyst. They gave me a brace that immobilizes my leg from just above the ankle to pretty high on my thigh. Keeps the leg straight, so it has to be removed to drive, and makes sitting a clumsy proposition. Also gave me a prescription for Meloxicam, expensive stuff, $1.04 total for ten tablets!

The Emergency place (kind of a fancy doc-in-a-box) gave me a diagnosis report and a CD of the ultrasound, to take back to the orthopedic clinic when they re-open Monday. They confirmed RogB's statement that these cysts sometimes drain themselves, harmlessly (same fluid that naturally lubricates the knee joint), or sometimes the ortho doc will have to use a needle to extract the fluid. Or third possibility, the sac (cyst) might decide to spontaneously burst.

We'll find out more at the ortho clinic tomorrow. Meantime, either the pain med is extremely effective, or the cyst has started to drain, because while I'm nowhere near pain-free today, it is nowhere as intense as it was yesterday, and I'm able to support some of my weight on that leg.

Things are looking just a little brighter today.

Thank you for the good wishes, thoughts, and prayers that you have sent my way.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leatherneck:

Going through the same thing. Only way to determine problem is to get x-rays and mri. Mine determined I have some arthritis under the right knee cap and severe degenerative med
x-rays did not show anything, and I believe that MRI is out of the question due to the support hardware installed in my femur / hip. They did a Doppler ultrasound to rule out a blood clot, and that confirmed Baker's cyst, so we now know what we're dealing with.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
Good to hear. You are fortunate to have those services available in your community. Do you have Emergency Dentistry as well?

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

Do you have Emergency Dentistry as well?
Not that I know of, but I have never checked.

Are you a health care provider? (I did not see "occupation," nor email address, in your profile).

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים