SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Ice storm , enough already
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ice storm , enough already Login/Join 
posted
Tiny town has been fortunate, except for that one tornado,
The deracho last year ,pretty much missed us.

Since moving here from AZ, 12 years ago,
I learned to tolerate sub zero temps, 45 m.p.h. winds

a couple of 12 inch snow days, really wet springs, high humidity summers a couple of really bad skeeto and gnat summers.

But this two inches of ice buisness has me on the verge of +p+ perturbed .

Both my neighbor ladies cars are froze shut.

No way to keep the drive way walkable.

I have a very good ice chipper outer,

Got the Le Saber stuck out at the curb side mail box, that took 30 min. to dig out.

Re scheduled two doctors appts.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54595 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I got a friend in Peoria that was telling me about it earlier.

Ice storms are fun when you're a kid with a sled. Any older than that, and they're less so. You got plenty of driveway salt, bender? Watch yourself on that stuff.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Why the hell would anyone move from AZ to IL?

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bendable: You still have electricity?? Are the trees holding up. When I lived even further North the recipe was to wait until the temp hit 32 degrees.

Posts: 17221 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was out on the smooth, glossy, thin ice covered roads at 8 this morning.
Everybody going 20-30 mph.

Gotta love that ice, not!

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why the hell would anyone move from AZ to IL?

^^^^^^^^^^^^
On the downlow, Bendable lives in Iowa

Posts: 17221 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Freezing rain/ice is worse than snow. With loose snow, you can still get traction for your car tires or your feet. Snow doesn't build up on power lines enough to weigh them down, but a thick enough ice buildup will break them and make you lose your electricity.

Posts: 27915 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Electric has been fine,
I am thinking that deracho took out the trees that may have caused a problem, now.

I learned my lesson about gravity and ice last year. Taking zero chances this year.

"Why the hell would anyone move from AZ to IL?"

Finance's ,family, health issues. We were gone for 33 years. And came back.

We saw and did about 70% of what we set out to do.

Posts: 54595 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

On the downlow, Bendable lives in Iowa
His location says "Henry County, IL."

Maybe he doesn't want them to know.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30633 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been through a lot of freezing rain back in New Jersey growing up- Definitely fun as a kid with a sled. Not at all when older.

Last one here in Washington State- I'd forgotten the sound of the tree limbs breaking off in the midst of the perfect silence. We had a huge limb come down in the back yard.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grew up in Iowa City, 5 yrs. In the quad cities,
Now in Illinois, since "07"

Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Been sleeting here all day today. The trees are all iced up but there has not been enough to bring any branches down, thank god and we have not lost our electricity. Definitely beautiful though.

I ain't going nowhere.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5034 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My old dad always said, "Boys, you might as well enjoy the weather today. It's the only weather we're gonna get".

Pretty smart old guy, my dad.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1097 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MWills
posted Hide Post
It started in with sleet and freezing rain here about 11PM last night and continued until about 1PM this afternoon then turned to snow. Power out all over town, limbs falling on power lines and cars and houses. So we finished up with maybe 1/2 inch of ice under 1/2 inch of snow. It's nice to be retired and not have anywhere I have to go.

I was ​always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps ​getting harder to find one.

Posts: 392 | Location: Mark Twain land, MO | Registered: August 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LoboGunLeather:
My old dad always said, "Boys, you might as well enjoy the weather today. It's the only weather we're gonna get".

Pretty smart old guy, my dad.

I like that. Consider that “taught and passed on.”

Posts: 17099 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
The top 3 states to NEVER live in. NY,CAL., or Illinois.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Bendable I have to question your sanity on moving from AZ to IL but I have the solution to your problem right here...

https://youtu.be/cPWMluZdB4M

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MWills:
It's nice to be retired and not have anywhere I have to go.
It's even nicer being retired from the power company and not having to work in that crap anymore. Although , the money was good ... Big Grin

Posts: 4044 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Believe you , me,
When a giant Bag O Money from the Power Ball people hits my door step ,
I will indeed be " the hell" gone.

The moron that the land lord hired to
Tend to the lawn in summer and the driveway and walks in the winter, was just here.
He tried for 15 minutes to chip through the ice, and gave up .

and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
Woke up this morning to 3" of fresh snow in the driveway. By the time I'd gotten out to clear it, it had started to rain prety hard. Now I had 1-1/2" of slush that I knew the blower couldn't handle. Time to ride the shovel!

Took me 1-1/2 hrs to clear the driveway, walkway, and deck! As tough as that was, it certainly beats ice....

I feel your pain, Bendable!

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post