SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    The Wheels of Government Grind Oh, So Slow
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Wheels of Government Grind Oh, So Slow Login/Join 
Picture of fpuhan
posted
My TS/SCI clearance needed to be renewed this year. Back in June, to be exact. So I dutifully submitted my forms and forgot about it.

In August, my security officer indicated that I had forgotten to check a box on one of the pages, and could I resubmit just that page? Done.

This morning, I got a call from an investigator who wanted to schedule an interview with me. We'll meet tomorrow.

Uh, it's the end of November. By my reckoning, my renewal has been in process for six months now. It's a good thing I don't do anything that actually requires me to be cleared (I work in the private sector and hold a clearance to satisfy customer requirements)!

This isn't a rant, per se, but just something that has me rolling my eyes. Roll Eyes

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
We had a community meeting recently. A county commissioner came by to tell us about a new road that needs to be built to alleviate traffic in our area. It's about 4 miles across open fields. Going to take 8 years. 8.

We won WWII in 4 years. 4.

We are fucked.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12766 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
I understand. I applied for a Secret clearance for the first time January 2017. In March 2017 I was granted a provisional Secret clearance. In August 2018 my full clearance was finally granted. 20 months from start to finish.

Posts: 2715 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^ Same experience for my niece.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had my Secret renewal during the OPM hack. That took forever. Hang in there.

Posts: 4579 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
I was stationed to Korea in the early '90s (13 months). Needed a TS/SCI for my duty position. Came thru a few weeks before I departed.

Posts: 9032 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Held a TS/SCI for 20+ years, with updates every 5 years. Don't recall how long the original BI took, but do remember Mom and Dad getting calls from the neighbors wondering WTF I'd done...

Retired from the Navy, clearance cancelled. Went back to work in the same building, installing the same equipment for a contractor took 6 months to get it reinstated.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15207 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
We had a community meeting recently. A county commissioner came by to tell us about a new road that needs to be built to alleviate traffic in our area. It's about 4 miles across open fields. Going to take 8 years. 8.

We won WWII in 4 years. 4.

We are fucked.

...and built Hoover Dam in five...two years ahead of schedule.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5478 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got lucky when I went from secret to TS in 2014, 24 days from start to finish. I need to renew in 2020 and I'm not looking forward to how long it will take.

Posts: 2016 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
6 months?

My last 5 year update took nearly 2 years!

A combination of reinvestigations being halted due to budget issues or shutdown or some such crap combined with a huge backlog of them created the perfect storm I suppose.

Posts: 33757 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I work in the clearance arena, and up until a few months ago we were routinely seeing cases from 2016.

Six months is about a year better than they were earlier this year.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post