SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    This time, it'll work. Buy it, fix it up, sell it, make money. No, really...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This time, it'll work. Buy it, fix it up, sell it, make money. No, really... Login/Join 
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I have a friend with a REALLY large, yellow dozer. Huge.

He apparently ENJOYS fooling around with it. I once picked up a bunch of new hydraulic lines, maybe fuel lines, for him at a shop in Missoula. The bill was close to $500!

He starts it up. Dozes the snow from his drive. Puts it back in it's shed. He's 80+ yet loves that thing like a kid with a Tonka toy.

THIS reminds me of him and his dozer;

https://youtu.be/bCVH7XK6ktk

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
@FN in MT:

Hah! I can relate. If big is good, bigger is better and WAAAAY too big should be just about right!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Oooooooohhh I so want an old D8...

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12745 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
This thread sure is fueling my desire for a 1935 Caterpillar RD6. I'd get a thrill just from the starting procedure.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
This thread sure is fueling my desire for a 1935 Caterpillar RD6. I'd get a thrill just from the starting procedure.

Pony motor or bar-over?

I've always wanted a big 2 cylinder JD Diesel - R, 80, 820 or 830. You could get them with electric start but the early ones weren't very dependable and most came with a pony motor. Little 2 cylinder gas engine, start it, run it up and let it get good and hot (the exhaust ran through the diesel engine to pre-heat it) then slide the clutch in and roll that big diesel over until it fired.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Out of curiosity, is anyone interested in following along as I bring this beast back to life?

I can update here occasionally, or save Para the bandwidth and just link to my site.

Or not, I know it's about as off-topic as they come.

That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
You posted this teaser, so don't leave us hanging.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Status as of today.

Here ya go.

Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update Smile

Hope that jig works well for taking the master pin out!

Posts: 1799 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Absolutely keep those update coming! We will live vicariously through you!

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
I've already got some busted knuckles just looking at the picturesSmile. Keep us in the know.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Updates would be enjoyable.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:

Pony motor or bar-over?

I've always wanted a big 2 cylinder JD Diesel - R, 80, 820 or 830. You could get them with electric start but the early ones weren't very dependable and most came with a pony motor. Little 2 cylinder gas engine, start it, run it up and let it get good and hot (the exhaust ran through the diesel engine to pre-heat it) then slide the clutch in and roll that big diesel over until it fired.

Pony motor, for sure. That way you get to start the dozer before you start the dozer. Twice the anticipation for the same not-so-low price. Smile

I would love to hear a RD6 dozer grunt down on a pull at 650 RPM.

Looking forward to following your build.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Yes, regular updates please! I'd love to see them right here in this thread, but I don't mind linking over to your website if that's easier/preferred in East Overshoe. Wink

VERY Cool project by the way....Eagerly awaiting the next update! Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Today's Update

As expected, the Master Pin is fighting me. More penetrating oil and a bigger hammer... Big Grin

Also gonna try a product I just heard of: Loctite Freeze and Release. Chills the part, theoretically breaking the rust bond and letting the penetrating component wick into the part better. Given Loctite's reputation, I don't think it's snake oil. For ~ $15 a can, I damn sure hope not!

Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
Boy does that bring back memories, back in the late 1960's we had an old dozer on the farm. I believe it had 2 levers for steering brakes, and I think you had to push the clutch in before using the brakes.
Once my older brother tried to steer it without using the clutch and broke something. The only reason I can still recall this was how extremely upset my father was.

Posts: 1288 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
This time, it'll work. Buy it, fix it up, sell it, make money. No, really... and have a blast!

Seems familiar. While I don't have the need for a dozer like yours, I don't have the need for a 500+ horsepower truck either. Big Grin

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
This time, it'll work. Buy it, fix it up, sell it, make money. No, really... and have a blast!

Seems familiar. While I don't have the need for a dozer like yours, I don't have the need for a 500+ horsepower truck either. Big Grin

I see you understand how this works, Brother. Razz Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Enjoying the thread like the others.

I find tools/machines I THINK I need, obsess over them for a while then buy one. Think of all the money I can make and then sell it for a profit.

Seems some of that works, except for that last “sell” part.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Keep us posted on the progress. I'm also a sucker (although I use this many times per year). Mowing my 2.5 acres is much easier with the 60" deck.

Posts: 5734 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post