SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    This time, it'll work. Buy it, fix it up, sell it, make money. No, really...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This time, it'll work. Buy it, fix it up, sell it, make money. No, really... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Two words: Killdozer. Oops, that's just one word.

Posts: 2465 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Nice LoBoy 'Goat!

You must live in a tough neighborhood, having to chain up your trailer like that.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15180 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
LOL! It was a friends trailer I borrowed. He usually keeps it at this shop where it can sit unattended for days or weeks at a time. I live in a small mountain community where folks don't even lock their doors! The picture was taken near the center of Denver. I'm impressed you knew it was a LoBoy (but not surprised!)

My dad fully restored a late 1960's JD gasser Backhoe a few years ago he uses around his property. I don't know the model off the top of my head (420 maybe?). He can't seem to buy and fix anything without doing a full blown restoration to it. That's how the LoBoy happened. We started working on it, and the next thing you know we had it split and we were restoring it...sigh.

Posts: 5733 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
If the heavier jack, oil and BFH doesn't break it free, you might try taking it for a scrape around the property behind your Kubota to make the pin work in the track and let the PB Blaster penetrate on the moving pin. Oil up both master pins, so you only have to do it once, but making the pin move in rotation may be the best way to loosen it.

ETA: Dragging the dozer around may also permit you to place the Master Pin on the top, or slack side of the track run, which may relieve some of the tension on it. It looks like now, the master pin track chain link may even still be engaged with the sprocket.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Woohoo! Got those )@$#(ing master pins out and the tracks off!

Details and pix here.

Posts: 15180 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Very cool!

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
63 years of stuck doesn't give up easily. Wink

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/jk--XsIW0hs

It's ALIVE! MUWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!

Good oil pressure, I can see water circulating in the radiator, no leaks outside of what I spilled filling the fluids.

No power to the coil from the ignition switch, but I need to rewire it anyway, lotta "farmer fixes" (wire nuts and electrical tape...) and the insulation is pretty brittle on most of the wiring.

I'm a happy guy!

Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
"I'm a happy guy!"

As you should be! Good news, keep having fun.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
It's ALIVE! MUWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!

Good oil pressure, I can see water circulating in the radiator, no leaks...

I'm a happy guy!

THAT.IS.AWESOME!!! Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post

Unwrapped the wiring harness this morning. YIKES!

Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
^^^Looks like somebody opened a can of worms and dumped 'em on the floor! Smile

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
... and one day, the 420C will look like this?
(Not at all mine, an image)

Actually, I like this project ... keep posting pics and progress.

Smile

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
@cjevans - Highly unlikely. That feller has more money tied up in paint than I have budgeted for the entire project!

Coupla rattle cans over the worst of the rust, but overall it'll stay in its "working clothes".

Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
... hehe, indeed, working man's clothes.

Weld plates over the really rusty bits?
And a couple of coats of clear to retain every scar, scrape and gouge of history.

... keep the updates coming.

Smile

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cjevans:
... hehe, indeed, working man's clothes.

Weld plates over the really rusty bits?
And a couple of coats of clear to retain every scar, scrape and gouge of history.

... keep the updates coming.

Smile

Tin is in remarkably good shape, just some surface rust.

The right track frame, OTOH... Eek Major piece broken off the right side of the front idler mount. I HOPE I can weld it back together and still have enough adjustment.

Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Out of curiosity, is anyone interested in following along as I bring this beast back to life?

I can update here occasionally, or save Para the bandwidth and just link to my site.

Or not, I know it's about as off-topic as they come.

Updates please!

Posts: 12434 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Nothing picture-worthy. Finished up rewiring it yesterday, started it again and checked out the hydraulics.

They work, but EVERYTHING leaks and the fluid looks like chocolate milk. Add to ToDo List:

1. Drain, flush and replace fluid

2. Clean, dope and tighten everything

3. Overhaul the cylinders

Should be able to find cylinder kits. Paying for them may be another issue.

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post

Found some more presents when I drained the transmission.

Right side final drive off, wasn't too difficult. I started on the clutch pack but I have to knock off early today to go help a friend.

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post

Got the transmission out today. Took a crew of three (Me, Myself and I) about 5 hours. 4 jacks and an engine crane, lot of fussing with jack it up a little here, let it down a little there, move it back a little, reset, up/down/move/rinse/repeat. Biggest trick is getting the front flange of the transmission case up and over the rear crossmember for the undercarriage without tweaking the propeller shaft.

It's a LONG walk from the front of the transmission to the clutch and throwout bearing. I suspect putting it back in is gonna be a cast iron bitch. Definitely going to have to fab up a jig to hold the trans and allow me to tilt it just right while rolling it into place. Have some ideas on that subject, plenty of time to think it over.