SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    This time, it'll work. Buy it, fix it up, sell it, make money. No, really...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This time, it'll work. Buy it, fix it up, sell it, make money. No, really... Login/Join 
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
Following....

Sounds like you might need to organize a (re)build-a-Deere/shoot-some-guns/eat-some-lobstah event in the near future.
Could be fun!

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3138 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post

Pulled the reverser off the front of the trans and found the above. And that doesn't account for the rollers that came out of the transmission proper. Likely they came from the bearing that used to be in the front of that intermediate shaft tho. Not sure where the bearing remnants in the third picture came from, it looks to have been a needle bearing.

At the very least it will need a new reverser casting as the boss for the intermediate shaft is trashed. The nose of the intermediate shaft where the nut is all boogered up is likely trashed too.

I'll finish tearing it apart, but it's looking a lot like time to cut my losses and part it out.

Damn.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
Dang Frown

I was looking forward to seeing videos of you with a huge grin on your face building roads and pushing down trees with that.

Posts: 1799 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Turns out I may have been overly pessimistic. Fella has one housing for sure, maybe two.

Waiting to find out how much he wants for one.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

it's looking a lot like time to cut my losses and part it out.
Don't give it up! We are living vicariously through this thread.

We might have to start a GoFundMe, or a forum fund, or something, if it gets to be too much for you, but we want to see the project done.

Note the "royal we."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
That's the innernet for you... Raise money to watch someone else work.

I'm in for $20!

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
A little good news. Feller has the housing, priced a little more than I'd hoped, but I'm a cheap bastard and the price is fair enough.

That fugly nut on the intermediate shaft that I feared had trashed the threads on the nose of the shaft came off today and the threads are essentially unharmed. A little touch up with a triangular jeweler's file and I'm good to go.

Apparently that nut was REALLY soft.

Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Freaking excellent news.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
One step forward...

When the front bearing in the output shaft went out, the shaft flopping around did some pretty severe damage to the ring gear. Pinion seems to be okay.

Waiting for opinions from the guys in the know as to whether or not I can live with the ring gear in that condition.

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post

Damage to pinion. REALLY not comfortable running that in addition to the damage on the ring gear. Waiting on my contact for used parts to hit me with a price for ring gear, pinion/output shaft and a set of bearings and gaskets.

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post

While waiting on responses for transmission parts, decided to go over the track frames and front idlers. Front outside end of right track frame was broken completely off, just being held on by the bolts in the stone guard.

Whoever said "My welding skills have greatly improved my grinding skills" must've seen my work, but it's back together and I'm pretty sure it'll hold. Vertical/Up on the inside of that piece working in an 8" space was...interesting.

That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Just how old is this beast and this sort of wear/abuse typical?

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
Just how old is this beast and this sort of wear/abuse typical?

It's from 1956 so yeah, that's some of it.

The rest of it is that the guy I got it from is 84 years old and I don't think it saw much in the way of maintenance in the last 20 years or so.

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Well, I did the math and the bottom line is I just don't have the pockets to fix the crawler.

At a MINIMUM, I'd be into it for $2000 plus the purchase price and I don't have those kind of resources.

I'll be parting it out, should be able to cover the purchase price and maybe even put a few bucks in my pocket.

Known expenses if I tried to fix it:

Ring gear and pinion - $450 plus shipping. Several people have recommended cleaning up and running the old ones, but the pinion has multiple fracture lines and I wouldn't trust it not to grenade and trash all the other work.

Reverser parts - $450 plus shipping. About the same if I get the parts to eliminate the reverser.

Full set of bearings for the transmission - $550 plus gaskets and incidentals.

Estimated repairs to hydraulic cylinders - $200, and that's if I make do with the pitted rods. At least double and probably triple that if I replace the rods.

Another few hundred for the inevitable gotchas, new fasteners, muffler, genny overhaul, starter overhaul, etc.

Time to run while I still have a shot at breaking even.

That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Nooooo. We need this.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
Nooooo. We need this.

Yeah, I hate it too, but I realized I was running around like a teenager trying to buy a car and that means I'm in WAY over my head.

I even (briefly) considered finding a seasonal job to fund it.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
But think of all the money you could make, charging people to push dirt around.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

If I can get even half of what I think the individual parts are worth (I'm soliciting second opinions from folks in the know) I can break even.

That'll be a record for me...

Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
Bummer.

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3138 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

If I can get even half of what I think the individual parts are worth (I'm soliciting second opinions from folks in the know) I can break even.

That'll be a record for me...

How’s the parts demand? Are many running them or restoring them? Any JD Dozer clubs?

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post