SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Hint from Heloise, #439
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hint from Heloise, #439 Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
When making cornbread to go with the pa-sketty, corn starch is not an acceptable substitute for baking powder.

Ooops.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I would say so.
It's like when my cousin thought she could substitute tartar sauce for cream of tartar. Razz

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
She knew better, just grabbed the wrong box out of the cupboard and wasn't paying attention.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I imagine replacing a leavening agent with a thickening agent didn't work at all.

Also, corn bread sounds like a weird combo for spaghetti. Is it good together?

Soups, chilis, stews, greens, black eyed peas, most meats that have been grilled/smoked, fried chicken, fried fish, cajun food, etc. are traditional pairings with corn bread.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A long, long, ago first wife ran out of sauce for her first attempt at enchiladas.
She put catsup in instead as it was red and we had that!!
One bite and that was it for me!
We went out for dinner!

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Mrs. was making chili. Reached into the cabinet to get canned tomatoes.

Dumped them in and thought something smelled funny.

Very funny.

Apple butter.

We also ate out that night.

Posts: 7016 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post

Big Grin

And yes, cornbread is good with spaghetti or most anything with a tomato-based sauce IMHO.

posted Hide Post
Son In Law just made a batch with too much baking powder. Yuck.

Cornbread is good with anything.

My favorite recipe involves a .40 cent envelope from Kroger.

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

Big Grin

And yes, cornbread is good with spaghetti or most anything with a tomato-based sauce IMHO.

Might be able to use that as a doorstop.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
My big sister made cornbread when she was bout 7, (i was 4) and she got the salt and sugar mixed up.

Hard as a rock, and we had to eat it. (evil stepfather).

I do not add salt to my food to this day.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
...and never confuse cayenne pepper for cinnamon. Ask me how I know.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4929 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
That's what happens when you read Hacks from Heloise. Smile

Posts: 4817 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Cornbread and spaghetti? Hmmmm. Gotta think about that.

Hell, might be worth a try.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5035 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Years ago when we were all kids, my older sister wanted to make chocolate cupcakes for the family.

They were completely inedible.

It turns out she saw the recipe ask for "1 cup of coffee" and put an entire cup of GROUND COFFEE into the batter instead of 1 cup of brewed liquid coffee!

We still give her shit about it 30+ years later... Razz

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Baking soda is not a good substitute for baking powder. Nor arrowroot powder for cornstarch. +

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
Never use black strap molasses instead of regular molasses. I did that one time when making cookies. They smelled like asphalt and got rock hard when cool.

Posts: 1502 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
My late mother once made a chocolate pie with a refrigerator pie mix. Unfortunately, she was used to cooking all her pies. Yeah it tasted OK, just never did setup for some reason.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post