SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Pacemaker sudden battery failure
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pacemaker sudden battery failure Login/Join 
Picture of Green Highlander
posted
Got the word that my pacemaker battery is rapidly depleting and I have about 12 days worth of juice left. Going in Thursday for a replacement. Not exactly thrilled to be going into Mass General in the midst of the Covid spike but I don’t want a dead device. It has saved my life previously an multiple occasions. Thanks 2020.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2386 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Jeez, that kind of sucks. I’m guessing it’s not like swapping out a watch battery. How long do the batteries last nowadays?

The should set them up for wireless charging, kind of like how my Sonicare toothbrush charges.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Batteries usually last 8-10 years depending on use. The entire generator is replaced, the leads left in place. Risk of the replacement procedure is very low. Home wireless monitoring has become very sophisticated, so the OP will be getting a major update with his new generator.

Posts: 18064 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife’s pacer has a monitoring unit made up of electronics and voodoo. It’s on the bedside table. It automatically analyzes the pacer unit function as well as extracts information about her heart’s state. The info is sent to the pacer co. If anything’s off, they will contact her.

Modern technology is amazing.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve got the remote monitor too. That’s how they were alerted. Everything was ok at my last scheduled check in November. This will be my fourth device. I getting a nifty collection of scars. Actually sitting in the room waiting for the procedure to start.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2386 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I'm on my third device Green. First was basic pacer, then a three wire, then doc thought I should have a defibrillator. That was a year ago. Worst part was waiting for my INR to come back up before they would release me from the hospital. First device was outpatient. The defib last year was a 8 day stay.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Green, I hope you’re home, resting well, and ready to have a merry Christmas with a fully charged battery!

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind thoughts. New device is implanted am now impatient to be healed. Mrs. Highlander and I were supposed to have a date at the range for some rifle shooting this weekend but now it looks like the couch and Hallmark.

posted Hide Post
And I complain about hearing aid batteries dying!

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mikus36
posted Hide Post
Age old question - Energizer or Duracell

"It's a Bill of Rights - Not a Bill of Needs"
The World is a combustible Place

Posts: 353 | Location: Washington | Registered: April 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you guys are on multiple batteries and they last 8-12 years then that's good news at least.

If you don't mind saying what was your EF rate after your heart attack.

Posts: 3918 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
If you guys are on multiple batteries and they last 8-12 years then that's good news at least.

I didn’t have a heart attack. About 20 years ago I was diagnosed with dilated cardiomyopathy. They think it was caused by a virus but I don’t remember being sick. At the time of diagnosis, my EF was 15%. After meds I am generally in the 20-25% range.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Green Highlander:
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:

I didn’t have a heart attack. About 20 years ago I was diagnosed with dilated cardiomyopathy. They think it was caused by a virus but I don’t remember being sick. At the time of diagnosis, my EF was 15%. After meds I am generally in the 20-25% range.
Thanks for the info. It's kind of scary when you are told you have a 25-30% and start looking up your mortality on the internet. Scary to say the least so It's always nice to hear guys getting through several batteries.

Posts: 3918 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
At least you don't have a Lucas pacemaker.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post