SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Bought a gun on GB--not sure whether I got charged with an extra cost...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bought a gun on GB--not sure whether I got charged with an extra cost... Login/Join 
posted
Just bought a NIB Ruger Vaqueros on GB from a dealer with LOTS of sales and an A+ rating. The price was $589 plus $25 shipping. So far so good.
When I received an emailed copy of the sales order, I noticed that in addition to the above mentioned costs, there was also another charge for $17.70 which reads "Non cash discount-Non cash discount does not apply. 3% added for credit cards over the phone or online".

^^^What exactly does that mean?^^^ I'm planning on paying by money order so do I send them the MO for $589 plus $25 shipping? I've never experienced this before and it seems like a "hidden charge". Is my interpretation correct or am I obliged to pay the $17.70? Just thought I'd ask the jury here before calling the company and making a fool of myself. Thanks.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
It is very typical for dealers to charge credit card fees on GB.

Simply reply back to their email that you are not using a credit card and verify your cost is $589 + $25 = $614.

Posts: 3714 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Yes it would be the CC charge. I won an auction just recently and drove from the DFW area down to Austin just to save the shipping which I thought was alot. Plus made a day trip out of it. I always us a postal MO when paying if it is out of state.

Posts: 5299 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, that's my thinking too, but just wanted to run this by the sigforum family. I also always use a Postal MO when buying items online both in-state and out-of-state. Appreciate the opinions and input!

Posts: 2010 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Should have read the auction listing more carefully. Wink

Q

Posts: 26318 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kaschi:
Thanks guys, that's my thinking too, but just wanted to run this by the sigforum family. I also always use a Postal MO when buying items online both in-state and out-of-state. Appreciate the opinions and input!

I just want to confirm what the consensus is. You're going to confirm with the dealer that you're not going to have to pay the 3% as you're not using a credit card, right?

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19637 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
In Texas, tacking on a fee to pay by credit card is against the law.

Oddly, giving a cash discount is not illegal. The statute contains a loophole.

I don't think money orders should incur the fee, as the seller is trying to recoup the fee from the card issuer. There is no such fee on a money order.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53120 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, CC fee. I paid on when getting my sig 229 back in the day, but even with that extra 3% it was still below what I could have bought it for locally. It was a 229 SAS gen II with 2 extra mags, brand new, for 750.

Houston Texas, if the heat don't kill ya, the skeeters will.

Posts: 359 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The CC fee is often worth it. If you get cheated, the cc company will go to bat for you. I just got refunded 2700 when a contractor failed to provide what he contracted for, without a lawyer or all the hassle. 3 percent 0f 600 bucks is about 18 bucks. Cheap insurance.

Posts: 17135 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not much of a deal if you're buying a $500 gun but if you're buying a $4000 Wilson Combat with a card because you can't afford to pay in cash, that's another $120. I find that with most dealers, who advertise "no CC fees", they have enough fat in the price to cover their credit card expense.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
In Texas, tacking on a fee to pay by credit card is against the law.
This may have changed, but I remember when the merchant agreement prohibited vendors from adding a fee.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30633 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
This may have changed, but I remember when the merchant agreement prohibited vendors from adding a fee.

This restriction was eliminated by the Feds or Congress (i don't remember which) a few years ago. The only benefit was for CC companies & banks.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4263 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post