SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    What is up with the new phone scams? Computer related..
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is up with the new phone scams? Computer related.. Login/Join 
Picture of m1009
posted
Has anybody else been getting these computer voice messages left on their answering machines?
It is always, “in regards to your computer tech support expiring, we have tried to refund you but due to a technical issue, need you to contact us by pressing one to speak to a representative. If you do not we will charge your bank account in the amount of $499.00.” Or something along those lines.

It is always an electronic sounding voice, and irritates the heck out of me.
I haven’t had any kind of tech support for my pc in many years, maybe back in the late 90’s, for a bit. Normally on IOS now, so no android for the most part.
What gripes me is that they think I’m dumb enough to either answer, or call them back. Funny, I haven’t seen any large charges from my bank account, and I’ve had these messages for the last few months. Roll Eyes
Of course, if I did, you bet I’d be pressing charges. And of course, they never leave the name of the company supposedly wanting to refund me or charge me again. Anybody else get this one?

Posts: 1124 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
[PT Barnum] There's a sucker born every minute [/PT Barnum]

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
yeah, you’re right. Still, so irritating to hear the dang messages. Got three in one day so far. Last time, it showed as if from HP. First time ever. Roll Eyes

Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I've be getting a lot of the 'your social security number has been suspended' messages.
Are people really that clueless to fall for that?

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16488 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve been getting robo VMs offering to help me with my pain. If it was a real person calling I’d happily inform them that the only pain I’d like their help with would be eliminating the idiotic robo messages they leave on my machine!

Posts: 1169 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All mine are for car warranty, student loans and medical braces.
I actually talked with the car warranty folks the other day. I told them I would like extended warranty coverage for my Corvair.
The chick had to google "corvair" before telling me that they could not cover a Corvair.
You would think they would stop calling. Nope. Same call the very next day.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Got a call and the guy had an odd voice. Plus there was no background noise. Turns out he had some sort of device that allowed him to speak and send the electronic voice out. He was off shore so I expect this was done to cover his accent.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
At least you get a message. 99.9% of robo calls I get hang up when my answering machine answers the call.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I answered one the other day because it appeared that it might have come from one of my customers, and since I was in the car, the phone would play through the car radio amplifier and speakers, helping me to hear it (I am hearing impaired).

Of course it turned out that it was a scam, sounded like a middle eastern accent. I decided to have a nice conversation with him, gave him a royal runaround, and at some point he declared that I am in the habit of fornicating with my mother. I told him that was very unlikely since she has been dead for forty years and is buried in a cemetery a thousand miles from here, but he kept insisting on his opinion.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like to waste their time also when I'm in the car ... keeps them from calling someone that might fall for their shit.

And for the car warranty calls .... the first question they ask is how many miles on vehicle. Apparently 678,000 miles is too many.

Posts: 260 | Registered: March 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Next time tell him : “Fornicating with my mother? No, you are confused. I was fornicating with your mother young man! Boy is she mad at you! Almost bit my member off when she started thinking about you!”

Posts: 1605 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last sales phone caller I got yesterday asked me if I had pain. I told him I had a pain in the ass from listening to these phone calls.

He didn't seem to be amused.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
Yes, lots of times I don’t have a message, but when I do, it’s a robo call. Nearly always about my computer tech services, I’m getting a refund, but then will be charged if I don’t cancel. Kind of conflicting info there.
I quit answering the phone a long time ago until I see who it is, so I don’t get stuck with a sales rep who won’t shut up. Or, as hubby said, it’s possible they are on a long distance call,and suddenly you are getting charged triple rate for out of the country rates. Not gonna answer.

Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I got one of the medical brace calls tonight. I pressed "1" to get a live person, when she came on the line I told her that this was a business telephone and not a residence and there was nobody here who was Medicare eligible to receive a brace of any sort.

As I've asked in the past to be removed from the call lists and it never seems to work I'll try this way and see.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Get a live person, then go into your pervert routine. It might or might not get your number removed from their database, but it's kind of amusing to see just how far you can go with them before they hang up.

I especially like to do it with the hands-free speaker thingy when I'm driving, since that doesn't take me away from whatever I'm working on.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
Got 2 calls back to back the other day. Didn’t answer the first one put picked up the second in hopes of putting and end to the calls.

A mans voice started in and sounded live. “Hello this call is for..” then inserted my name by some barely comprehensible robot voice. Then the live sounding voice returned letting me know the purpose of the call was to verify my place of employment and other information related to “several serious investigations” yada yada yada.

I’d have loved to listened more and try to get a live person on the phone just to screw with them and maybe cop to the Lindbergh kidnapping or maybe Jimmy Hoffa but I was at work so I hung up.

Pretty sure if one is the subject of “several serious investigations” they don’t call to let you know about it.

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6705 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post