SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Driving Pet Peeve
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Driving Pet Peeve Login/Join 
Picture of BrianC
posted
What really sets me off is people who would rather suffer the death of a thousand cuts or sell their children to a pedophile ring rather than let people merge in. I'm not talking about people who wait until the last minute and try to get in (I let them anyway), but the others. I suspect that with women it's a power thing, with men it's being hung like a hamster.

Thanks for allowing me to vent. I approve this message.

"Television is called a medium because nothing on it is well done." -- Fred Allen

Posts: 11139 | Location: Here. Now. | Registered: August 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This sort of behavior is somewhat regional in nature. In the South it is pretty customary to let one car in to merge. If it is after a major sporting event where people are consuming alcohol all bets are off. It is also customary to give a thank you wave to someone who lets you into traffic. In the city it helps to have a POS car to merge into traffic.

Posts: 17235 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I'm shocked if someone waves thank you to me while we're on the road. I always do it, though.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrianC:
What really sets me off is people who would rather suffer the death of a thousand cuts or sell their children to a pedophile ring rather than let people merge in. I'm not talking about people who wait until the last minute and try to get in (I let them anyway), but the others. I suspect that with women it's a power thing, with men it's being hung like a hamster.

Thanks for allowing me to vent. I approve this message.

I will let you in but if there is 400m behind me and you want in....screw off, especially in the snow, I leave a safe distance in front of me.....instead of taking the huge spot behind me you push into my safe distance = asshole

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
For most people like me, it depends.

The differentiator for me is if the other person thinks he's being slick in some way.

I don't mind late mergers, I think that's the proper way to go and merge zipper fashion. People who don't allow alternating cars to merge are dicks.

But if the lane you're on is set to turn right only and you're speeding up to cut in at the last minute, I'm going to keep pace with the car in front of me. I'm not going to reward you for your actions by letting you get ahead of the line.

On the other hand, when I'm doing something similar, I pace and take advantage of the normal lag people have coming from a stop to go and squeeze in without you having to step on your brakes.

If you're in a bind, I find establishing eye contact usually gets the other person to acknowledge your humanity and let you in.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19662 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Is that you in the red car? Hey man, I'm sorry. I did what I could to facilitate your merge. I slowed down to 10mph under the posted speed limit. I'm towing a 38' trailer and there's traffic next to me, so I can't move over.

I do what I can, but at some point the merger has to decide to fish or cut bait. After numerous occurrences like the one above, I've decided to maintain course and speed and let the person merging try to figure it out. Even then, mergers get pissy and honk their horns, give me the WTF look, flash their lights, etc.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For me, it all depends on if the car wanting to merge uses their turn signal. If the signal is on=come on in: if there is no signal=I'm not letting you in. Plain & simple. Law is to use signal for lane change.

Posts: 537 | Registered: March 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
Under no circumstances let anyone get ahead of you in traffic. Just show them who's boss. run them off the road if necessary. kill them. That will show them.... some people drive like frickin 2 year olds

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BrianC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nasig:
Under no circumstances let anyone get ahead of you in traffic. Just show them who's boss. run them off the road if necessary. kill them. That will show them.... some people drive like frickin 2 year olds

BEST RESPONSE OF THE DAY!

"Television is called a medium because nothing on it is well done." -- Fred Allen

Posts: 11139 | Location: Here. Now. | Registered: August 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BrianC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MagicHorse:
For me, it all depends on if the car wanting to merge uses their turn signal. If the signal is on=come on in: if there is no signal=I'm not letting you in. Plain & simple. Law is to use signal for lane change.

You'd never survive in Massachusetts, MagicHorse! Razz

'Murica
Picture of szuppo
posted Hide Post
It all depends on the situation. On a highway merge I'll get over if possible to allow them to enter the highway easier. If I have traffic in the other lane, too bad, they can adjust to merge.
The ones I do not allow to merge under any circumstance are the dickheads that pass a "right lane closed ahead" sign for three miles and decide they will pass everyone up that has gotten into the left lane so they can get to the front of the line. Fuck off and eat a big dick, I'll ride you door to door until you run out of road.

Semper Fi

Posts: 3240 | Location: Canfield, Ohio | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Most folks that are trying to jam their way in at the last moment are already driving like idiots.

I'd prefer to have them in front of me rather than behind. Yes, I profile people/cars/styles all day while driving and try to avoid being in front of likely candidates to rear end me. I've go so far as to pull over in a lot and let a tailgater with a phone in their face while it's raining go on by. 43 seconds and some piece of mind for me.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never fails to amaze me. Here in Michigan on and off ramps are often the same lane. So why would you stack up on each other on the slooow curve that becomes an on ramp when drivers are leaving the highway at 75 mph? Never took physics in high school?

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1120 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only time I do not like to let people merge is when there are signs for miles that a lane is closed. Then you have people who do not get over. They go zipping by people who are bumper to bumper in the lane that is open, so they can cut in front of the people who have been there for a while.
That ticks me off.

Otherwise I let people merge in and have no problem with it.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Best incident of this type I ever saw was in Germany.

Driving on the authbahn, fair amount of traffic. Signs for about 2 or 3 miles (KM) about the left lane ending due to construction.

Idiot comes screaming up in that left lane, passing everybody, clearly breaking the posted speed limit. He gets to the sign across that lane, and wonder of wonders a Cop steps out from behind the sign and pulls the guy over.

Asshole gets out of his car, starts to give the cop some shit. No harm no foul. Then the asshole raises his hand up to face level.

Cop pulls out his loaded sap, slaps dipshit up side his head. Traffic stops to observe as the load up the asshole in the police van and take him away. Lots of German "high-fiving" going on.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrianC:
quote:
Originally posted by MagicHorse:

You'd never survive in Massachusetts, MagicHorse! Razz

My brother lived in Boston for several years. He said using a turn signal was a sign of weakness!

When he came back to Cincinnati to visit, I couldn't believe how aggressively he drove.

Posts: 954 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
If you already merged 3 miles before the merge point and people are passing you by, you're doing it wrong. I merge at the merge point and not sooner. It's called a zipper merge and it's the most efficient and fair way to to handle lanes that are shut down for whatever reason. It's the preferred method of many state DOTs.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Most folks that are trying to jam their way in at the last moment are already driving like idiots.

I'd prefer to have them in front of me rather than behind. Yes, I profile people/cars/styles all day while driving and try to avoid being in front of likely candidates to rear end me. I've go so far as to pull over in a lot and let a tailgater with a phone in their face while it's raining go on by. 43 seconds and some piece of mind for me.

We think alike. That’s me, except in NYC. NYC is a unique experience where if you signal you may as well put in park and walk because openings exist for the briefest of moments and you can either take advantage or signal your intention and watch them disappear.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
If you actually use the onramp to get up to freeway speed I'm more than happy to let you in. But if you coast down the onramp and expect me to slow down to let you in, eff right off.

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
People that don’t know how to merge is more the problem...if I have my cruise control set at 65-70 down the freeway it’s not my responsibility to slow down so you can merge ... you either need to speed up or slow down to merge because I’m going the same speed I’ve been going for the last X amount of miles

Posts: 1304 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post