SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Chipotle - I Just Don't Get The Appeal
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chipotle - I Just Don't Get The Appeal Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Like any chain, your experience is largely up to the franchise you visit. Some are good, some are garbage. From there, it’s down to the person on the line putting together your meal, and how generous they’re feeling that day. Some will load you up on the meats and go easy on the rice and others, the opposite.

My wife liked the local place where we lived nearly ten years ago, so we went fairly often and got to know the staff a bit and got treated well. When the staff cycled over and the rice ratio climbed and the food started consistently giving me the shits, we swore it off.

Yeah, its fast-food Mexican for hipsters, but sometimes it’s alright. If you can do better with a legit Mexican burrito place, of course, do that. We have an Aceituno’s nearby and they get our business at least once a month when the need arises.

Posts: 17054 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
The food they make at the one near me, in Sharonville, Ohio is actually pretty good. I get the Chicken bowl with brown rice, salsa, corn and cheese. The cost with a bag of chips is $8.30.

it is not something I have to have, but I do enjoy it once or twice a month.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
quote:

P220 Smudge, congratulations on your 10,000 post!!!

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like it well enough, but I actually like rice. It's the beans and salsa I have no interest in. I get a bowl of rice & chicken with a little lettuce and cheese and drown it in Tobasco. And the chips are pretty good too. I can get out for <$10.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Just remember to pick up a bottle of Chipotlaway...

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
Just remember to pick up a bottle of Chipotlaway...

Thankfully, I have never needed this. My Son on the other hand. Smile

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I live in New Mexico. Fuck Chipotle. And Taco Bell.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Garbage. They poison their customers at least once a month. The only time I ate there I had hair in my food. Garbage.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P-220:
quote:

P220 Smudge, congratulations on your 10,000 post!!!

Haha, thanks. I hadn’t noticed. Seems like a bit of a waste to spend it on this topic. Oh well. Smile

quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:

For what it’s worth, I’m from El Paso. I grew up with the quality you’re used to, and I revere my Hatch peppers when I can get them. For all that, I can’t get on board the cork-sniffer wagon. I draw the line at corn added to stuff that shouldn’t have it, but beyond that, it starts at “hey, at least you tried.” If I know I need a power-flush, I’ll get something at Taco Hell. Those are my qualifiers. Maybe it’s because I had to leave and live all around the country and search for the same Mexican food flavors I grew up with that broadened my tolerance, but being spoiled is being spoiled and, I suspect you and I were spoiled living where we did. I’m lucky enough in one way that there’s a ton of wet Mexicans living where I am now that can run restaurants. Tastes like what I grew up eating on the border.

Posts: 17054 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
For what it’s worth, I’m from El Paso.

Small world. I lived there for 3.5 years, daughter was born on the west side.

My go to spot there for Mexican was L&J Cafe. For steak it was Cattleman's out in Fabens.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
For what it’s worth, I’m from El Paso.

Small world. I lived there for 3.5 years, daughter was born on the west side.

My go to spot there for Mexican was L&J Cafe. For steak it was Cattleman's out in Fabens.

My second grade field trip was out there. A classmate dared me to kick a century plant. Like Forrest, that’s all I’ve got to say about that.

posted Hide Post
No way. That place sucks. If I want good Mexican food I go to one of our plethora of authentic mom and pop Mexican restaurants or one of the roach coaches/gut trucks. Good stuff.

Posts: 4022 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Yuck. We went once for a school fundraiser. Awful. Taco Bell was waaay better, and that’s saying something (but nothing beats Taco Johns potato óles on the way home after the college hockey games).

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grapes of Wrath
Picture of Wino
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Freebirds > Chipotle
IMO

Freebirds essentially copied Chipotle but made every single thing slightly better.

Better rice (cilantro lime)
Better tortilla (flavor and sizes)
More salsa options
Better cheese
Etc.

I still hate the fact that, at either restaurant, the burrito is cold by the time you get through the line ant to your table.

Posts: 1454 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grapes of Wrath
Picture of Wino
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Freebirds > Chipotle
IMO

Freebirds essentially copied Chipotle but made every single thing slightly better.

Better rice (cilantro lime)
Better tortilla (flavor and sizes)
More salsa options
Better cheese
Etc.

I still hate the fact that, at either restaurant, the burrito is cold by the time you get through the line and to your table.

Posts: 1454 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:

I've been to both of these restaurants once, because someone else wanted to go. Huge meh.

People eat a lot of garbage.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Eat there once in a while - a lot worse places.
Always get the steak burrito, no complaints, no accolades.

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
Why don't you guys simply ask for less or no rice?
I always get their steak soft tacos with the green chili salsa.

I've actually tried this technique, it does work. I ask for extremely light rice, if they put too much on, I simply as them to remove some. So far 100% effective.

It's food that's about all I got to say about it. I don't love it, but I'll eat it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Ate the once. The sever grabbed a tortilla, loaded it with rice and a few other things. Turned out the tortilla was ice cold! Never went back

As for El Paso, I was assigned there in the 1970s, then back for classes at USASMA. I was always glad to see the place in my back window.
However, my all time favorite restaurant was a true German one in the valley. Wonderful food.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Chipotle is underwhelming and way overpriced. For fake Mexican, Moe's tastes better and is a way better value. Even Taco Bell is better. We are fortunate to have a large number of authentic Mexican restaurants and food trucks in our area, so I rarely end up eating at any of the chain places anyway.

Posts: 8413 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post