SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Chipotle - I Just Don't Get The Appeal
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chipotle - I Just Don't Get The Appeal Login/Join 
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
I like it. It's a tad overpriced, but the food at our local Chipotle is usually very good. Of course it's not authentic Mexican food, but that doesn't make it bad.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5281 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
In the Phoenix area, I discovered Backyard Tacos. It’s a fast food place, chain I guess, but with what I thought was really good food; similar to other semi-authentic Mexican Mexican places I’ve been in.

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer Los Pollos Hermanos. Just ask for Gus.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The steak there sucks. Chicken, Barbacoa, and carnitas are better. Somebody said Freebirds is better than Chipotle, I'm from Texas and I've been to Freebirds a handful of times in the last 18 years (first time was in College Station when I was 19) I'd rather eat Chipotle.

Posts: 1181 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Haven't been in a long time, right after the stories about people getting ill, its not great but it's not that bad, I got the bowl vs the burrito easier to control what's going into it.

We have a few local mexican restaurants that are more authentic.

Some of the better mexican food I had was living in Tulsa,

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
All of the ingredients in their recipes are food. No preservatives, additives, chemicals, etc. There is something to be said for that. A quick meal that is real food, and prepared using classical cooking techniques in front of the customer.

You'd be surprised what's in something as simple as a McDonald's hamburger bun.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I ate it many years ago. The portions are too large, WAY too large. So I'd get some chips/salsa, cut the burrito in half, and make it into 2 meals. They have decent carnitas which I very much like, but nothing about the rest of ingredients are anything special.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
It's not perfect, but 1,000X better than McDonald's, Wendy's or Burger King. Those are the competitors.

I only eat fast food once or twice per year. When I do, it's either Chipotle or QDoba.

Chicken Burrito with just a little rice and a little pinto. Chicken, Pico, hot sauce and cheese. Guac of it's Qdoba, cause it's free there. No drink. Not bad for eight bucks twice per year.

I took my kids to Wendy's a few months ago for lunch. I did not get anything. $20 to feed a 7 & 8 year old. That's insane. I don't see how people eat out multiple times per week. They're pissing their money away. Make something at home and bring it to work to eat.

Posts: 5733 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
It's tasty if you order the right stuff.

Get a bowl. NEWBs get a burrito.

Get the salad dressing. Get the peppers and onions. Get two meats, half and half. That way you get basically double meat for the same price. The steak sucks. Never order it. The pork, barbacoa, and chorizo are decent. The chicken is ok if fresh. If old, bypass. Corn salsa, pico, sour creme, and shredded cheese, good to go.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
E Coli aside, I think their ingredients are pretty good quality wise. Their burritos suck but not because of ingredient quality but becaue they don't even attempt to mix the stuff together. Ie, one bite is rice, next beans, next meat, etc.

My biggest gripe with Chipotle is simple. They hire the worst employees and their management is nonexistent. They are in such a rush to make the food that they mess up orders all the time. It is almost comical. Huge speedy first station then a backup at the next station or register. You can only go as fast as the slowest station. They also seem to have a nasty habit of overcharging. I have caught them numerous times charging for double meat (circle around the meat letter) when I didn't have double meat. Don't know how many times I paid before I broke their code. Plus, no matter what language you use, asking for a tiny, pequeno, amount of sour cream you still tend to get an entire gigantic spoonful. I have made them remake the entire bowl when I have been in a bad mood or they made one mistake too many for me to own that food. lol

All that being said, its a fast food joint. I don't expect nor usually receive sit down quality food at a fast food place. Good for what it is if you don't have a nearby Moe's or Cafe Rio.

Posts: 7344 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Heading over there right now for some steak tacos and chips and salsa! Smile

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I prefer Los Pollos Hermanos. Just ask for Gus.

Big Grin

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chipotle was one and done for us.
Qdoba is much better.

Posts: 281 | Location: Outside St. Louis | Registered: June 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScooterX:
Chipotle was one and done for us.
Qdoba is much better.

This goes for my wife and I as well. We MUCH prefer Qdoba!

Posts: 374 | Location: The Dark And Bloody Ground | Registered: July 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
It is better than some other fast food, and worse than other.

You don't get a gourmet experience there, or authentic Mexican. So?

It is, generally, decent cheap meal.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
It is better than some other fast food, and worse than other.

You don't get a gourmet experience there, or authentic Mexican. So?

It is, generally, decent cheap meal.

Pretty much sums up what I was going to say. I don't get all the hate filled "not authentic Mexican" and "I'll just go to an authentic restaurant". It's fast food and at that it's pretty darned good. Not microwaved, fresh ingredients, etc. Usually quite tasty.

Anyhow I've had authentic Mexican in Mexico and I wasn't any more impressed than I am at Chipotle. Big Grin

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12406 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
It’s for hipsters. I just go to a real Mexican restaurant.

Lol, Not to defend hipsters, but Chipotle is definitely not hipstery.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lol, Not to defend hipsters, but Chipotle is definitely not hipstery

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Since we do not have one, how would describe the ambience?? South of the Border, run for the Border, Faux Mexican, or Happy Mariachi?? or none of the above?

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
we tried qdoba tacos ,

but was not impressed at all,
https://www.qdoba.com/

the food was ok , just ok

chipotle , same thing , not enthused

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post