SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    No, eBay Seller, It Is *Not* "New In Box"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

No, eBay Seller, It Is *Not* "New In Box" Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
Why do some sellers do this? Had a similar thing happen with a Canon DSLR body just a few months ago. Described as being "in mint condition" when it was clearly anything but.

Now received a universal remote that was described as "New In Box," for which I paid a premium. Well, the "In Box" part was correct, but this thing is clearly not "New."

I'll tell ya's: After these two experiences: Were it not for the eBay guarantee, I'd buy no more from eBay sellers.

Sure, I'll get all my money back, eventually, one way or the other. But now I have to spend time dealing with it.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
I was at a garage sale where there was a coffee maker with a "never used" sign on it. After looking into the carafe, I told the woman who was running the sale, "Hey, you might want to either remove your sign or pour out the coffee."

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brecaidra:
I was at a garage sale where there was a coffee maker with a "never used" sign on it. After looking into the carafe, I told the woman who was running the sale, "Hey, you might want to either remove your sign or pour out the coffee."

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
are you sure it didn't say "in new box"?

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6474 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 95flhr:
are you sure it didn't say "in new box"?

Yeah. I actually went and re-checked the advert Smile

Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
I sell on said mentioned site (Para not happy with name written) a lot. I try to get my listing clerk to make sure 100% that the item is new in box not just in box. When a mistake is made I'll offer a partial refund or just pack it up and send it back. It's always best to check seller's feedback score to see if they are crap or not. It's also very important to read the whole listing. I once thought I was buying front/rear sights for an AR but when I opened the package it was just the front no rear, I pulled the listing back up and found that at the bottom stated "This is for the front sight only" the seller got an earful from me. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Fleabay.

It used to be a great place - maybe a decade ago.

Deal between two people, payment as agreed, and shipping as agreed. If things went south, you hammered on each on for reviews.

Once they jumped into bed with PayPal and started holding money in escrow waiting on reviews, it went downhill fast.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
I started with them in 1998 and did very well in the early years. Like RHINOWSO said it worked. Then came the S#$% dealers with hundreds of the same Chinese junk followed by the ripoff dealers so then Fleabay starts with the rules upon rules, you know like to Wash DC. But I still make money not as much and with more hassle. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Well, the seller finally got back to me. Approved the return and already refunded me. But "print shipping label" doesn't come up with a label. I don't know whether that's a seller screwup or an eBay one.

Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
The NIB and NOS (New Old Stock) thing is why I quit Ebay. I bought a NIB microphone for $100, and when I got it, I noticed it smelled like rotten beer. the push to talk switch also had signs of wear as did the connector.

Seems they still had the box, so they put it back in the box and called it NIB.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
The NIB and NOS (New Old Stock) thing is why I quit Ebay. I bought a NIB microphone for $100, and when I got it, I noticed it smelled like rotten beer. the push to talk switch also had signs of wear as did the connector.

Did you return it to the seller for a refund, pre-paid shipping?

That's how it works now. If a seller sells you something that is Significantly Not As-Described (SNAD), they are obliged, by eBay policy, to provide you with a pre-paid shipping label and, upon receipt of the item, refund you in full, incl. any shipping charges you paid.

If the seller falls through on this, eBay, itself, will make you whole.

I had similar thing happen with a camera body. Seller balked taking it back. Then argued with me about the condition. Then argued the condition was clearly visible in the photos. All for naught. He was required to take it back, because he'd described it as "mint" and it was clearly not even close to "mint." (Not did his photos reveal the un-minty condition.)

Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:

Did you return it to the seller for a refund, pre-paid shipping?

That's how it works now. If a seller sells you something that is Significantly Not As-Described (SNAD), they are obliged, by eBay policy, to provide you with a pre-paid shipping label and, upon receipt of the item, refund you in full, incl. any shipping charges you paid.

If the seller falls through on this, eBay, itself, will make you whole.

I had similar thing happen with a camera body. Seller balked taking it back. Then argued with me about the condition. Then argued the condition was clearly visible in the photos. All for naught. He was required to take it back, because he'd described it as "mint" and it was clearly not even close to "mint." (Not did his photos reveal the un-minty condition.)

I was unaware of these rules. Bummer for me. I kept the thing.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was unaware of these rules. Bummer for me. I kept the thing.

Well, see: That's why it pays to know the rules Smile

Btw: Seller in my case balked. Pointed out terms clearly said "Returns not accepted." I pointed-out that only applied if the item was as-described. That if it was significantly not as-described he had no choice but to accept a return, and pay for the shipping. He argued some more, but must've eventually got around to reading eBay's seller TOS and conceded.

Latest seller was slow to respond (begging due to illness, when he finally did), but, when he did, immediately refunded. Then tried to generate a return label. Only problem is: Once the seller refunds the system will no longer generate a return label, because it assumes the seller doesn't want the item returned.

eBay to the rescue again. They wouldn't do this for the seller, but, when the buyer (moi) called, they poked the system to cough-up a return label Smile

(And, btw, they actually have real, live people that speak passable English that answer the phones, these days.)

(I think my seller's a bit annoyed with me. He wanted it returned via FedEx SmartPost. The label eBay generated, for which his account will be charged, is USPS Priority. Oops!)