SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Calling Police to deal with your shortcomings as an educator/administrator
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Calling Police to deal with your shortcomings as an educator/administrator Login/Join 
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
If schools aren't allowed to discipline the child because of the parent, then if the child is in need of discipline then call the parent and send the child home with them.

The parent has to make a choice to discipline their child or consent in allowing the school to do it or they're going to miss a lot of work. If that doesn't work then hit the parent with truancy violations because of all the school days the kid is missing.

Posts: 11152 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
If schools aren't allowed to discipline the child because of the parent, then if the child is in need of discipline then call the parent and send the child home with them.

The parent has to make a choice to discipline their child or consent in allowing the school to do it or they're going to miss a lot of work. If that doesn't work then hit the parent with truancy violations because of all the school days the kid is missing.

It seems obvious, doesn’t it? I know the teach at my son’s school got got called a racist and worse when mommy came to find out why her little precious was getting the boot. I assume there was litigation, I heard snippets because by then I was paying close attention (the troubled child had gone after mine by that point, and I was ready to give some back after filing a complaint with the principal).

In the article mentioned in this thread, it appears that grandma is the caregiver. So mom and dad may already be out of the picture.

I volunteer regularly at lunchtime during the school year, and I see the attitudes and behavior. Most I grace, because this is their free time to socialize, but some of the shit I see...I’d like to video and send to their parents. Some of these kids shouldn’t be in school, and/or their parents should be required to come in and monitor them. And discipline them. Because I can’t. I can only remind them to behave themselves, and send them to the office if they don’t.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
The lack of discipline is rooted in the parenting but that isn't the reason the schools can't discipline. Their hands are tied. My wife rode the morning bus picking kids up. One morning a little girls grandfather was waiting with her at the bus stop. He wore a graphic t-shirt with stick people. The caption was hit her in the shitter. Kid doesn't have much of a chance.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5681 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kraquin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
I suspect some of this is on the parents. Not necessarily the specific parents in this situation (tho that's certainly possible) but "parents" in general who have a shit fit if school staff looks at their precious snowflake cross-eyed, much less actually takes steps to control them.

That was a problem when I was associated with schools 20 years ago, I doubt it has improved.

Hence the installation of CCTV cameras to protect faculty from frivolous lawsuits brought on by parents of perfect children.

Posts: 391 | Registered: December 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
It's a double-edged sword.

Many school administrators will do nothing that could make there record look bad. So you discipline kids and suspend them it looks bad on the school.

My brother teaches HS. He the school he used to teach at there where some classes with troubled kids. Some would just get up and walk out then come back when they wanted. Send them to the office and the office sends them right back to the class. Kids that talk back and disrupt the class and the teaches can not remove them because the administration will just bring them back to the class.

I've heard all kinds of stories.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
Isn't this why we have a Coast Guard?

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4611 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
IIRC, from the news, the officer in question was fired because he skipped a key policy step in his department, which was to get explicit permission from his boss before making an arrest of this kind (below an age threshold, I think it was), and he didn't do that, he didn't ask first.

Didn't ask permission + Media shit storm = bye, Felicia.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
So essentially this boils down to 100% adult failure at every level. The parents failed, the school failed, and this particular police officer failed.

How is a 6 year old supposed to behave normally when surrounded by these types of adults?

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15696 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:

Heck, might as well...

The parents pass the buck to the school, the school passes the buck to the cops, so I guess it's only fair that the cops start passing the buck to the military, right? Wink

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JimmyRayBob:

I believe the police officer was fired for making the arrest. At least according to this ... Fox News Article

That there is some bullshit. I think I know how this went, the school called the police, the girl was completely out of control, punching and kicking everyone around her and the cop made a command decision to place her under arrest and now he's out of a job.

My sister adopted a young girl who pulls this act. She will literally start trying to beat my sister and her husband up she goes so out of control then when others intervene, she's "little miss innocent, why are you persecuting me?" VERY manipulative almost to the point of being evil.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
So essentially this boils down to 100% adult failure at every level. The parents failed, the school failed, and this particular police officer failed.

How is a 6 year old supposed to behave normally when surrounded by these types of adults?

It's sort of cultural. The parents are the key failures. They are the ones that can discipline their kids in the confines of their home including corporal punishment. Laws and norms have taken that away from the schools. Kinda why we have a lot of violence in places including shootings and other physical assaults. Those kids didn't get what they needed when they were little children.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5681 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
The problem is that no one in society to allowed to correct behavior.

Correct.

I have no issues with a kid learning that violence is not acceptable. Not against figures of authority, not against peers.

Learn the lesson at 6, take it to heart? You could have a lot of productive life ahead of you.

Learn it at 18, in an Antifa riot? Not so much.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:

I’m sorry, what?

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
quote:

I’m sorry, what?

I think his point is that it isn't the police department's job any more than it's the coast guard's.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:

They've collectively created a police hater for life or someone so untrusting in them that she may never ask for help or report an abuse partner one day and a myriad of other crap situations.

The kid was a misbehaving asshole, no doubt, in need of discipline and punishment, obviously, but arresting and ziptying a 6yo before stuffing them in a cruiser, wtf.

The adult-failres were off the charts here. Every adult involed in that decision tree outght to be fired.

Ridiculous on so many levels.

posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Lolz. More later.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
quote:
They've collectively created a police hater for life or someone so untrusting in them that she may never ask for help or report an abuse partner one day and a myriad of other crap situations.

that's a bit of a stretch don't you think? Usually the cop haters are liberal's or criminal's. Or I mean their parents are. I'm not going to condemn the parent. Who knows what the situation they are dealing with.

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I know people who once got nipped by a dog as a kid and don't go near dogs as an adult, and a thousand other variations of this theme of what is perceived as a childhood trauma that affects them for life.

A 6yo little gitl was arrested for misbehaving in school, zipped, stuffed, and carted to jail, over her screaking and tears. A 6yo little girl. A shit of a little girl, no doubt. But a little kid just the same.

I'm not condoning her behavior, I'm not making broad statements about police in general, but this was a crazy clusterfuck where the adults involved made it worse in every possible way.

And that kid will likely he scarred, figuratively, by the experience. Seems rather obvious. How much? 2ho knows, ultimately. But that's my guess after reading, watching, and listening to the story. (shrug)

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
I know people who once got nipped by a dog as a kid and don't go near dogs as an adult, and a thousand other variations of this theme of what is perceived as a childhood trauma that affects them for life.

A 6yo little gitl was arrested for misbehaving in school, zipped, stuffed, and carted to jail, over her screaking and tears. A 6yo little girl. A shit of a little girl, no doubt. But a little kid just the same.

I'm not condoning her behavior, I'm not making broad statements about police in general, but this was a crazy clusterfuck where the adults involved made it worse in every possible way.

And that kid will likely he scarred, figuratively, by the experience. Seems rather obvious. How much? 2ho knows, ultimately. But that's my guess after reading, watching, and listening to the story. (shrug)

meh....I think that's being overly dramatic...I guess I have I higher belief in the human spirit. Hopefully if she is scarred for life she thinks twice before attacking someone!

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, I was both a teacher AND an LEO...at the same time. This was pre-SRO days. There were times when I had a difficult time determining which I was. But to the OP's point: Too many administrators are too lazy to do a thorough investigation, are afraid of bring sued, etc, so they opt to dump 'it' in LEOs' laps.

I was paid $7.54/HR to go into harm's way so you didn't have to.

Posts: 646 | Location: Heart of Dixie! | Registered: April 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post