SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    BMW Documentation
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BMW Documentation Login/Join 
Picture of Shaql
posted
My Climate control panel went out on my car. Checked the owners manual for fuse locations and was sent to the fuse box for the 'map'.

Map shows a picture of the control panel and fuse numbers. Check all the fuses and they are fine.

Go to an online forum to ask the collective for help. First respondent points out that there is a 10a fuse connected to the trunk light that powers the panel.

Ok, check the 'map'. There's a picture of a light and a different one that is a half-light. No words mind you, just a picture.

Check the half-light picture's fuses and nope. Check the other picture's fuse and yes, this is it.

So, how the hell am I supposed to know that:

1) A picture of a light is for the trunk and glove box lights?

2) The Climate Control panel is powered by a 10a fuse that, according to the manual, only powers the trunk light and the glove box light? Mad

Why is that fuse not listed as part of the Climate Control Panel? Mad

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6851 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds to me as though you need the proper one of these

http://www.bentleypublishers.com/bmw/

I have one for an old Jetta we had and an Audi A6. Saved me a shit pile of money on repairs.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
For many years the Euro marques have focused on iconographic instruction, due to the myriad of languages. Even so, they should have in the manual clear written instructions in the country of sale language. "Fuse for trunk light also powers map panel." How hard is this to do?

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5051 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Volvo dis something worseFrown On my 2015 XC60 there is NO dipstick. The manual does show the location of the dipstick (WTF?) I felt like an idiot looking everywhere in the engine compartment, using a flashlight and even had my neighbor help look. No dippy stick, no hole for the dipstick.

On line search on some forum leads to an amended page for the manual, with instructions on how to electronically check the oil level. Dipsticks never fail, electronic sensors do. What a stupid idea.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No worries!
Picture of Chach
posted Hide Post
Probably didn't do proper documentation on it because they expect 99% of their clientele to just bring it back to the dealer where they can charge you the minimum billable hours and $10 for a fuse.

Posts: 3188 | Location: NorCal - Sac | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Yep. I had electronic troubleshooting manuals for ALL of my older BMW's. Doubt you can get them any longer.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post