SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    And another one bites the dust (light switch)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

And another one bites the dust (light switch) Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted

Seriously...does anyone inspect their own work when they build a house? Does anyone have pride in workmanship anymore? Fifteen years of age, this switch, but still, could you spend a few more seconds wrapping the copper around the screw terminal?

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
The short answer is no.

It worked long enough to close out the sale.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3847 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jodel-Time
Picture of Mboroman
posted Hide Post
Agreed. I'm no electrician but that bugs me to no end. A few years ago, I replaced several switches during some remodeling. The original switches were fine, we just wanted them in colors that matched what we were doing. The electrician that did the original work used the "insta-grab" holes on the back instead of the screws. Regardless of what they claim, those holes won't let go. I had to cut nearly all of the wires, re-strip them and then attach them to the screws as they should have been done in the first place.

Posts: 562 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been able to get those instagrab holes to release, just takes a small flat jewelers screwdriver.

Posts: 103 | Registered: April 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
The tension hole connections aren't to code anymore, they were creating shorts on a regular basis. It's all screw connections these days.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Never trust a back stabbing electrician.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43859 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I have replaced all of the most used outlets in our new house (built in 2002), because of the back-stabbing issue. When they are used a lot, the little bit of flex over time seems to loosen up the back stab. That may not be the real cause, but I do know they fail over time. Only screw terminals for me.

Posts: 10781 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I replaced these three switches with 20A Leviton preferrred. I know there might be 0.5A flowing but I want as much metal handling the heat as I can get.

There were no back stabbing holes in the 20A switch.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 4MUL8R,

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
it's simply a race to the bottom of the bid. brought on by the homeowner wanting a cheaper house.
I don't think any builder wants to have issues with their homes but when the guy down the street will build it cheaper he has compete or he is out of business. if it takes an electrician an extra few minutes per switch and plug it all adds up. I have lost bids by 200 dollars before. if it meets code that's all they are going to do.

Posts: 5582 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
The bottom one is coiled in the wrong direction. When the screw is tightened it will tend to squeeze or push the wire out away from the screw.

Posts: 27914 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
The bottom one is coiled in the wrong direction. When the screw is tightened it will tend to squeeze or push the wire out away from the screw.

Look closer, it's a loop not a hook. There is no right direction for that.
Wire also looks like it might be #12AWG, which is not allowed to be stabbed anyways.

---

For all you stab back haters, relax. Those inept jerk wads pay my mortgage. If there wasn't people out there doing bad electrical work, then I'd have nothing to repair. You guys don't want me to loose my job or house do you?

Those failed stab in connections account for almost 50% of our repair work. Keep the handymen, homeowners, illegals, and painters doing shoddy work, so Skins can feed himself. Ok?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20803 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After the great flood of 2016 , I was replacing all of the outlets and found that nearly every one was backstabbed .On most of them I was able to grab the outlet with one hand and the wire with the other and twist and pull the wire out .
I installed every new one the right way . Piece of mind ...

Posts: 4044 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Leviton

I've seen a major decline in their quality of product. Switches failing with only modest use. Latest was a GFCI that was faulty out of the box. It took a 2nd one to replace the original that failed after about 20 years. Seems it will be a miracle for this one to last that long.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
quote:

look again,that is a jumper to another switch.

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
quote:

look again,that is a jumper to another switch.

+1

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Never trust a back stabbing electrician.

The current electrician has some shocking work.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14032 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post