SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Unclear job responsibilities, or ones that are so ridiculous that no one does them
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unclear job responsibilities, or ones that are so ridiculous that no one does them Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted
I work very hard to properly do my job. Most days I come in early and leave late on my time to make sure I am prepped and caught up so I can focus my energy on what’s important while I’m running the show. Most weeks I pull another 10 to 20 extra hours on top of that, doing the ancillary duties that I have ended up with.

One of my regular duties is completing reports for certain situations. However, despite this being done for decades, somehow there is no clear guidance about what is exactly expected in some rather common situations. Some are easy and clear, some are vague and muddled. Each section can do it in a significantly different way. Furthermore, some sections have guidelines that are quite simply impossible to follow. Therefore, the standing order is to not do portions of the whole and say you did. Makes absolutely no sense. Particularly because there is an easy solution to standardizing the whole mess. Incredulous that a large department can’t get it together. And not having an assistant to help out with the more mundane tasks, or time to specifically do the reports on top of everything else, makes it even more aggravating.

I am a very small cog in a very big wheel, so trying to make waves to get it fixed is not really an option. Not at my level. Unfortunately, trying to figure out how to best accommodate the whole mess is the only real solution I have. Hence a 15 hour shift on my day off last night, but at least I’m getting paid. However I’m close to blowing a gasket over two such reports at the same time that really need 30+ hours solely focused on each to properly complete.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do not work in law enforcement, but understand your concern. There should be a standard to follow that is simple and quick. It is common knowledge that cops hate writing reports. As a citizen I would rather see cops out on the street not in their cars filing out forms..

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would this be NIBRS of which you speak?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Would this be NIBRS of which you speak?

No, just routine supervisor reports for high liability things. Pursuits, uses of force, exigent entries, etc.

Much of it is pretty simple, but some things have not adjusted to modern technology and overwhelming data.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the wonderful world of "Police Supervisor"!

I don't regret the promotion, overall, I hope I'm doing a good job, and looking out for my workers.

But damn, dude.... Some days... Some days....

At least my bosses (Lt, Capt and Commander) all understand, and don't question my overtime slips.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8322 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I worked with guys who gave up their stripes for the same reason. It wasn't worth the aggravation and certainly not the extra money. No explanation as to why some things are still required except "it's always been that way." That doesn't make it reasonable or efficient.

I was senior officer on my squad for many years. When the Sgt. took time off, his administrative responsibilities fell on me to supervise the squad. Funny how I could do his paperwork AND do my job everyday. Most of his 'no explanation' paperwork never got completed. No one above noticed. I doubt most of those reports are ever read.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of my first real life lessons in the corporate world was about the procedure manual. I worked for a company that keep their manual updated and relevant. They followed it.

I took a job elsewhere at a large corp. Asked my supervisor about procedure manual. He replyed that they had one, but if you followed it, it was impossible to do the job. I was trained to do the job according to how everybody else did it. Lotsa shortcuts.

Found out later that the existance of the manual was a “ gotcha”. Whenever mgt decided to fire someone, the fired them for not following the manual.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
Welcome to the wonderful world of "Police Supervisor"!

I don't regret the promotion, overall, I hope I'm doing a good job, and looking out for my workers.

But damn, dude.... Some days... Some days....

At least my bosses (Lt, Capt and Commander) all understand, and don't question my overtime slips.

CR numbers are always a lot of fun aren't they.

Posts: 5731 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post