SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    The people that constantly call out from work
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The people that constantly call out from work Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I kept one job waiting tables all through high school and college, and could even get shifts when I was home from college for Christmas because I was reliable. If they put me on the schedule, I showed up.

My ex-wife was similar. She was a full time teacher, but worked as a hostess and a barback during the summer and winter breaks at a local brewpub. They'd also frequently call her to cover on various evenings and weekends throughout the rest of the year, because they were chronically short-staffed by call-ins and no-shows from their other employees.

In talking to a few friends who own various restaurants and bars, it seems to be endemic in the restaurant industry.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
I have a friend who works for the city in a critical function so they have had to work through the entire COVID mess. He mentioned that they had a couple coworkers who seem to have been exposed a multiple times requiring that they not report for work. I asked if these folks were know to call out even before COVID - he thought for a minute and then said 'as a matter of fact, yes.'

They don't seem to care that this places a burden on their coworkers.

My friend said there is little the city can do if the individual says they have been exposed to COVID. (I didn't ask but assume they are paid to stay home yet don't have to take a sick day.)

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At a previous employer, there was one female co-worker that absolutely would not work a full week. If not calling out sick, always either arriving late or leaving early.

I had a good job, but I hated it because of this one employee. Always having to cover for her was ridiculous. I suppose that most places have at least one $h!tty employee!!

Posts: 796 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
And this morning the manager group text is a constant string of “X called out.” Roll Eyes

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I have on cow orker that is "working from home".

Except she isn't. She is selling houses on the clock and posting pictures of her kids in front of her sales on social media.

We want to tar and feather her as we are on reduced hours and REQUIRED to be in to keep production going.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Mars as long as there’s idiots like us with integrity and work ethics, those fuckers will always skate by. Mad

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So far, about half of our guys have had Covid. The one guy I know of who refused to fly a trip because he'd just been exposed, had his pay docked. When crew determined that traveling internationally wasn't in their best interests, due to high infection rates, the company simply said "we hope you have enough sick days to cover it." Otherwise, just show up and go.

Sick calls, as a rule, don't happen.

We do have fatigue; calling fatigue is absolute and can't be questioned. Given typical work days of 18-30 hours, fatigue is very real, too. I have no problem with calling fatigue, if one is fatigued (and fatigue is very real, be it a combination of long days, 15 hour time zone shifts, working both sides of the clock (in a single shift, regularly), and of course, rolling delays that can mean 24 hours with no rest before the duty day begins).

What I do have a problem with is the crew member that calls fatigue just before the trip begins. Say, when everyone is gathering in the lobby to catch the shuttle to the airplane...and some joker decides he's fatigued. Could have thought of that a little earlier, like when there was time to get a replacement crew member...and the nearest one is twelve hours away.

A couple of months ago, I got a call that my First Officer (copilot) missed his flight. The flight was five hours from his location to mine. He waited until the flight landed to call in and say he'd missed the flight. Because of circumstance, there wasn't a replacement. Fortunately, we were able to delay the trip long enough for an arriving crew member, scheduled to go home after three weeks at work, to turn around and go again.

I have no problems calling in sick...but coordinate a replacement, or give adequate notice, heads up, so that others aren't blindsided and left high and dry.

On the other hand, I'm growing tired of those who didn't feel well, didn't say anything, then popped positive for Covid, forcing the entire crew to either go get tested, go into quarantine, or deal with the effects of having just been infected by some asshole who couldn't be bothered to...call in sick.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Mrs. Flash is retired from a County job.

She talked to her old supervisor and was told that current policy is that if you're not comfortable coming into work, you don't have to.

They've got most of the people working around 2 days a week......for full pay, of course, as it's Union.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I had it just the opposite. I LOVED when people called in sick or a personal day. I had 28 people to worry about and keep track of at the end, they were doing me a favor when they called out! lol

Guys would apologize when putting in for a day off. I'd say "Do I look upset? Have I ever denied anyone's time off request? Ever? Go! Go! Go now, please!" Big Grin The best day of work I ever had was when my entire crew (of 9 at the time) were all off at the same time. The big bosses weren't real thrilled, too bad. I put out the fires that day and was happy to do it.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I had a real problem with an employee who did NOT call. He just no-showed, without any notice.

I told him over and over, "If you're not going to be in, LET ME KNOW! You don't have to give me a reason, you don't have to explain, just LET ME KNOW so that I can adjust the schedule."

Asshole could not be bothered.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
So far, about half of our guys have had Covid. The one guy I know of who refused to fly a trip because he'd just been exposed, had his pay docked. When crew determined that traveling internationally wasn't in their best interests, due to high infection rates, the company simply said "we hope you have enough sick days to cover it." Otherwise, just show up and go.

Sick calls, as a rule, don't happen.

We do have fatigue; calling fatigue is absolute and can't be questioned. Given typical work days of 18-30 hours, fatigue is very real, too. I have no problem with calling fatigue, if one is fatigued (and fatigue is very real, be it a combination of long days, 15 hour time zone shifts, working both sides of the clock (in a single shift, regularly), and of course, rolling delays that can mean 24 hours with no rest before the duty day begins).

What I do have a problem with is the crew member that calls fatigue just before the trip begins. Say, when everyone is gathering in the lobby to catch the shuttle to the airplane...and some joker decides he's fatigued. Could have thought of that a little earlier, like when there was time to get a replacement crew member...and the nearest one is twelve hours away.

A couple of months ago, I got a call that my First Officer (copilot) missed his flight. The flight was five hours from his location to mine. He waited until the flight landed to call in and say he'd missed the flight. Because of circumstance, there wasn't a replacement. Fortunately, we were able to delay the trip long enough for an arriving crew member, scheduled to go home after three weeks at work, to turn around and go again.

I have no problems calling in sick...but coordinate a replacement, or give adequate notice, heads up, so that others aren't blindsided and left high and dry.

On the other hand, I'm growing tired of those who didn't feel well, didn't say anything, then popped positive for Covid, forcing the entire crew to either go get tested, go into quarantine, or deal with the effects of having just been infected by some asshole who couldn't be bothered to...call in sick.

And I whine about my work schedule!

What is your job? That’s nuts.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
... When I had my record store I had several employees like this.

Record stores those were the days, huh?
Met my wife who was working as a manager of one and I had previously worked as an Assistant Manager at one during college.....but I digress.... just had to comment on that ... sorry for the diversion.

Posts: 22907 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Once had a co-worker at a custom cabinet shop who was constantly late to clock in. Some times calling in or not. It got so bad that the shop made arrangements so he could move into a apartment bldg next door to the shop. In fact it was less than 100 yards from his front door to the time clock for clock in purposes. It got so bad that someone was sent to bang on his door almost daily until the shop finally deceided to let him go down the road. ........................................... drill sgt.

Posts: 2007 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good employees are very hard to find.
We have a 17yr old part time employee that makes $7-8 more then her peers because she is never late, always gives it 100%, always wants to learn and do more. Employees like that are very hard to find.

Posts: 1178 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scsigs:
We have a 17yr old part time employee that makes $7-8 more then her peers because she is never late, always gives it 100%, always wants to learn and do more. Employees like that are very hard to find.

And she is probably a pariah amongst the other employees, i.e. ass kisser etc. My wife was the stellar employee, and caught lots of flack from some of the others, even some managers when she would actually put in for time off, well in advance too.

One time, she put in for vacation well in advance. It was a few days out from time, and she had not heard anything back, which was unusual. I stopped in after work to find out what was up as I asked her to confirm. She said she had asked the manager who said, no, we need you. My wife told her she notified them about a month and a half prior, and we had gone ahead and purchased the non-refundable tickets at the deadline a few weeks after that. She was told, "Well, I guess you can't go." When my wife told me that, I replied, rather loudly within earshot of other employees "You quit this fucking job NOW!" I guess word got to the managers and her vacation was approved.

Tony

Posts: 314 | Registered: December 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is the solution right here.

quote:
Originally posted by scsigs:

-----------------
Silenced on the net, Just like Trump

Posts: 578 | Location: SUX | Registered: May 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dgshooter:
My only issue with the OP is that people quitting without notice should be shaken like a rat. I don't know why employers expect two weeks notice, but will let someone go with no notice whatsoever.

I've always believed if I can walk in one day and get fired or laid off I can walk in one day and quit. With that said I've always provided two weeks notice because its the correct thing to do and you never want to burn bridges. There have been times I've been tempted to just walk off with no notice but I'd rather to what's right even if my employer has done me wrong.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:

And I whine about my work schedule!

What is your job? That’s nuts.

I have several, but the present assignment is 17-45 days at a time, typical day is 16 hours duty. Add a guy, depending on the applicable regulation at the time, and it goes to 18-26 hours duty, and add one more, it goes to 30 hours duty. It makes for some long days.

I've had a lot of days in which extenuating circumstances stretched the duty day far beyond those numbers, however. On quite a few occasions, rocket attacks in Afghanistan and other places have added to the numbers; nobody is going anywhere until the situation is ended, but often there's a lot of time on both ends that drag it out, due to people or equipment not showing up, etc.

Like I said, though, it's the guys who won't call in sick or fatigued, that concern me the most. A few days ago at a location in China, we were approached by a gaggle of guys in biohazard suits. One of my crew hit 100 on the temp, and we nearly got slapped in quarantine in China for fourteen days. Quarantine in china may mean that if you didn't have it when you went in, you'd get it, because you get put with all the others who either tested positive, or were with someone else that tested positive. It would have been far better had that guy begged off earlier, until waiting until we were in a foreign country, subject to all kinds of shit.

Or those times when I've had to do a full course of antibiotics or other treatments, including shots, because someone else turned up sick. Thanks, but no thanks. Call in, save us all the trouble.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
There’s another one gone. Guess I’m an asshole for politely asking why the the priority item on the work list (first line of the email) wasn’t even touched. Roll Eyes

Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Since retirement 5 years ago I make spare money as a substitute teacher. So, I make my money on people that constantly call out of work. The same people, I call the Frequent Fliers call out so much that I wonder if they have any sick time left. I always work on Fridays and Mondays as the same people call out a lot. The ones that bother me are the ones that wait till the last minute (6:30am) to call out. We have to be at work by 7:15. When I get the call I tell them I will be late. I get there as quick as I can without rushing too much but I'm not leaving home before a cup of coffee and then hitting the head before leaving.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post