SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Amazon Pricing
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Amazon Pricing Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
Amazon offers a browser plug-in called "Amazon Assistant." It sits on the browser toolbar and watches your online shopping. If you're looking at an item on a different website, Amazon Assistant will generate a pop-up window showing similar items for sale on Amazon.

I was looking at a thread in The Lounge titled "I made popcorn!" There was a post in that thread containing a link to a site selling the original Whirley Pop for $22.99.

The Amazon Assistant pops a window showing popcorn makers mostly in the range from $35 to $55. That's somewhere between 50% more (on the low end) and more than double on the high end.

Wahl hair clipper model 9649, $30.99 on the Wahl website, $84.99 to $99.99 on Amazon.

Really? What's going on with Amazon?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
While we're bitching about Amazon (I didn't think we needed yet another thread)..

Yesterday I searched for oral thermometers and sorted by rating. The three top-rated items had thousands of 4 and 5 star ratings each. Great! But then I read the reviews; they were all for BOOKS. Three (supposedly) different sellers had apparently changed the title, description, and pictures, but kept the ratings and reviews of previous items.

Really? What's going on with Amazon?

Posts: 4816 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Delete the assistant, do your own shopping. I have a phone app that compares prices locally. Identify the item, it shows several prices. Very helpful.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Yay - another Amazon thread.

Try camelcamelcamel.com for price tracking things you actually want/need.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
If you have Chrome, go into Settings, Extensions and enable Invisible Hand, it price searches the web.

You should still google-fu, or duck duck duck your choice...

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Here's the thing about Amazon: don't like it? Don't use it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

That would be an excellent suggestion if we were able to find the things that we are looking for in a local store.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
If you have Chrome, go into Settings, Extensions and enable Invisible Hand, it price searches the web.

You should still google-fu, or duck duck duck your choice...

It's available on Firefox as well

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

or duck duck duck
You wouldn't believe how I mis-read that.

Well, maybe you would. Wink

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Valve cover gasket yesterday...
Summit Racing $26.99 and almost four weeks wait. (Huh?)

Same brand gasket on Amazon, $29.99 but one week wait. Tempted.

Before I do, I check Rock Auto, same brand gasket, $5.49 , one week wait.

That one puzzles me.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Their prices have been going up and delivery times slowing down, even with Prime. So convenience isn't what it used to be. As far as the pricing, maybe to offset their sizeable donation?

We're using Prime more for Fire Tv and movie watching, ordering nothing of anything else.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Amazon isn't always the cheapest (often not), but I will pay a few bucks more for the convenience of easy returns and less putting my information on the net. If it's anything over $100, I'm shopping it around for sure.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've found on Lowe's type items and half of the other items I look at, small items, Lowe's is actually considerable cheaper.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Amazon Marketplace is turning into a shit show. Counterfeits, used sold as new, missing parts, seconds, blems, wrong items, you name it. I almost always make sure to buy from Amazon itself and not marketplace sellers, and I have Prime so that's another reason. You have to be careful to look at the list of all sellers and make sure you know where it is coming from.

Even Amazon itself gets stuff all mixed up. Read the review of a 4K disc, and you realize you are reading reviews of the Blu-Ray or the DVD. They do this all the time on things with the same name but different versions or formats.

Did get lucky buying discounted 600 Lumen Surefire X300's (600 is enough and the lower price is nice) and got the newer 1000 Lumen version instead.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Delete the assistant, do your own shopping. I have a phone app that compares prices locally.

Delete the app, do your own shopping, here's the great app I use...

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I generally find E-Bay to be cheaper than Amazon.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Amazon is annoying at times (especially their new definition of "Prime"shipping, which used to mean within 48 hours ish, and now means sometime in the coming foreseeable future, see details). But generally I know what I'm getting and at least they are close on shipping times.

eBay, on the other hand, takes the cake. Ordered from a seller whose ad stated "Guaranteed delivery by June 21st." Ordered it that night within 5 minutes of seeing the "guaranteed" delivery date. Item arrived 2 days late, and one day late for my trip. My review said "Item as described, but 2 days late. Generally good seller." I get an email from the seller saying that I was out of line for dinging him on the delivery, that COVID and social unrest and blah blah blah. Told him no, you have no control over those things, but you CAN control what your ad says, and guaranteed delivery times should fall under your purview. So he complained to ebay and they stripped my review. Who'da thunk ebay would side with a seller (Top Seller, over 99% Positive, Buy with Confidence!) over lil' ol' me.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Fluidmaster replacement toilet flush valve kit. $14.98 at Lowe's. While looking at this item on the Lowe's website, the Amazon pop-up showed the identical item for the low, low, price of only $90.99. Whoo-hoo!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
I use Amazon a lot, but price checking is usually good. I use Schultz water soluble tomato fertilizer. Menards has it for $4. So I do a Amazon search, $17.67 same size.

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post