SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    college football coaches' salaries
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

college football coaches' salaries Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
As long as people keep paying big money to watch a bunch of guys running around chasing a ball, that money is gonna keep changing hands. I come from a football family. My dad and brothers played college ball, and my dad played semi-pro back in the day. I watched for a few years, had a couple of favorite teams, and even did the fantasy football thing a few times. I was a Colts fan back when Tony Dungy and Peyton Manning were in Indy, and I still consider both of them to be decent men, especially Dungy.

Ultimately I became disillusioned with the reprehensible behavior of many of the coaches and the athletes, and realized the vast majority of these people weren't worth the pedestal they were being placed on, or the money they were being paid. I haven't watched a game in years, even before the politics became a big thing...but even if I hadn't, all the kneeling and BLM bullcrap would have definitely been the end.

Football could have ceased to exist four or five years ago and I'd have barely noticed, or cared.

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I just saw something new for me, I did not know it existed.

Congratulations to Auburn for winning the Collegiate Cornhole Tossing National Title.

It was on ESPN.

Go figure.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is not easy motivating a group of kids some with rather sketchy backgrounds. I have to give it to Saban. Last I heard he will not text players and demands respect. Now take a sleezeball like Hugh Freeze it is a different matter.

There are a lot of people who make obscene amounts of money. Corporate execs for one.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
While I think that sports should be removed from college altogether, the high salaries of college coaches are due to capitalism. And I’m a capitalist even when I wish the money wasn’t going to to the people it goes to. When you have millions of consumers and only a few dozen people truly able to give them what they want, the money is sure to follow.

I also am in favor of college athletes getting paid in the current system. As I said, I’d prefer there be no such thing as college athletes, but since there are, they deserve to be paid. There are many instances of college athletes who bring in major revenue to their school and end up getting physically hurt or somehow getting screwed by the university or NCAA and not only lose their chances of going pro but also lose their scholarship and education.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Orndorff:
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:

Go to any college town and it will completely revolve around football and beer.
Never been to Provo, have you? Wink
What, there's no football in Provo?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobandmikako:
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
Look at how much money comes in to a college because of it’s football program. These colleges can well afford to pay these coaches.

It’s the free market at work.

When my wife was attending the University of Hawaii, a school that doesn't really attract star many star football players overall, they hired former NFL coach June Jones for $800k per year plus incentives. He was the highest paid coach in the conference at the time, but the school somehow couldn't find money for things like fixing the only elevator in the math building or fixing the A/C system in several buildings. We found it pretty irritating even though we're college football fans. I later found out that half the coach's salary was funded by private donors which made me feel better about it.

Yeah - do not know about ALL colleges, but most of the ones I have looked into, the football program generates its own revenue through sales and donations. So they actually end up giving money to other sports programs. They probably rarely take away any funding from the school budget for teachers or building repairs and such.

Heck - since the college teachers for the most part are liberal indoctrinators (they've about ruined one of my daughters) I don't care if their salary is taken and given to the coach.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Orndorff:
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:

Go to any college town and it will completely revolve around football and beer.

Never been to Provo, have you? Wink

^^^^^
Or Logan, Utah.

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Most of these salaries are not paid by funds from tuition or taxpayer revenue, a big portion is paid from big donor backer funds. In FL it's the Bull Gators, Kentucky, The K-Fund, mega wealthy people who put their money where they want it to fund the team.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Just saw a news blurb that Urban Meyer, who had great success as a college football coach, may be signed as head coach of the National Felon League Jacksonville Jaguars.

Reportedly he is demanding $12 million a season.

I did not know that Bill Belicheck and Pete Carroll are making a reported $11 million a year.

Wow!

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shotgun Zeke
posted Hide Post
I am not disagreeing about paying college athletes but it will be interesting to see how much trouble they can get into with a bankroll while "studying."

Desperate Times Call for Desperate Measures.

NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Rifle Instructor

Posts: 640 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We Are...MARSHALL
Picture of armedmd
posted Hide Post
The college sports business is amazing to say the least. My alma mater just decided to not renew the head coach’s contract despite being named Conference USA coach of the year and having a pretty good season overall. I guess some people think Marshall belongs in the Big 5 discussion. I personally enjoy the smaller crowds and mid major competition with one or two “big games” each year but they didn’t ask me. I’ll be interested to see who they hire and what they pay them given the faculty has taken 3-8% salary reductions because of Covid-19.

Build a man a fire and keep him warm for a night, set a man on fire and keep him warm the rest of his life.

Posts: 1893 | Location: WV | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
So whats the problem, I mean tuitions are so low at all of these colleges they'll just have to raise them "alittle" more.......

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
What I'm finding interesting is the transfer portal protocol.

All the mobility amongst coaches and players makes it more difficult to be a fan. I don't want my nose rubbed into the business aspect of a game I formerly enjoyed.

Look at all of the players sitting out of bowl games. Pretty soon no one will want to go see "their" team play in a bowl because the top talent will be sitting out.

Serves them right. Kill the goose we know what happens next.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I personally believe that any profit made from college sports should go into a general fund that all college athletes would be paid a stipend from. Doesn't matter if you play football at Alabama or gymnastics at a small college no one has ever heard of, you would get paid the same. Endorsement deals would be handled similarly. The athlete gets to keep a percentage of the contract and the rest goes into a general fund to benefit all NCAA athletes.

Posts: 11151 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rsbolo:
What I'm finding interesting is the transfer portal protocol.

All the mobility amongst coaches and players makes it more difficult to be a fan. I don't want my nose rubbed into the business aspect of a game I formerly enjoyed.

Look at all of the players sitting out of bowl games. Pretty soon no one will want to go see "their" team play in a bowl because the top talent will be sitting out.

Serves them right. Kill the goose we know what happens next.

I understand players sitting out. Honestly it’s a good business decision. Most bowl games are just another way for everyone but the players to get paid. If I were a senior with real NFL prospects I’d play for a national championship, but you could count me out of the Cheez-it bowl..

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Check the salaries of some public high school coaches relative to the other faculty members (teachers).

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Pale Horse, I do not disagree with you. If I were looking at a 7 to 8 figure payday I'd probably sit out as well.

I also don't blame coaches for chasing dollars or players transferring to find whatever they may be looking for.

My point is I feel less inclined to watch games.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rsbolo:

My point is I feel less inclined to watch games.

Totally agree. There are too many bowl games too IMO.

I have stopped watching football due to political reasons, but even before that my viewership was declining. It became a point of over saturation to me. Between the NFL on Thursday Monday and Sunday nights, plus all day Sunday, then college all day Saturday it became overload. I went from never missing a game to barely watching. Now with the politics I’ve tuned out completely. The only football game I’ve watched all year was the Clemson/Ohio State game and only because I’ve known Trevor Lawrence since he was playing youth football.

posted Hide Post
Ironically the best Bowl game involved 2 small schools - Coastal Carolina and Liberty. It was one of only 3 Bowl games that I watched.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't mind what so ever if my tax money wasn't going to the colleges. If they can survive on their own without taxpayer money they can pay their coach whatever they want.

Posts: 3875 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post