SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Stickers on items you cant get off.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stickers on items you cant get off. Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
I bought an autographed picture and it came in a cheap cardboard frame. They put a stupid price sticker on the frame that will not come off. Assholes. Not the end of the world, Ill probably buy a nicer frame anyway, but still. I wanted to put it up as is, but now I need to buy a new one.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
As long as you're planning to buy a new frame if you can't get the sticker off, try any of the citrus based cleaners that you can find at your local Ace Hardware or True Value Hardware.

I use these to remove gummy adhesive from our rental equipment when we have to replace stickers and labels.

I use Zep's "Big Orange," we use a lot of that stuff so I buy it in 1-gallon cans, but there are a lot of similar brands that you can get in small containers.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

The technology is there to make stickers that simply peel off and leave no residue, which makes me madder that they still use the glue on kind. I use WD-40 and/or a razor blade scraper.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

The technology is there to make stickers that simply peel off and leave no residue ....

Exactly. One of my peeves as well.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MtnPlinker
posted Hide Post
Produce stickers that break into pieces... but don’t come off with soap.

Goo-gone and food...arrrggghh.

Posts: 1962 | Location: Front Range CO | Registered: April 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Can't stand them either. Big logos and advertisements just aren't for me.

Just about everything I have has had the labels removed.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a chance to pick up a Marlin 336 not long ago that was 30 years old and mint / unfired.
Great big factory Marlin sticker on the stock all that time. I guessed the adhesive used had damaged the stock after all those years. I passed. Maybe I shouldnt have.
And we could start a separate thread on the other curse of mankind - The blister pack.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately those security stickers with nearly impregnable glue and breakaway cuts exist due to the all too common practice of price sticker switcheroo. Too many customers self-administering their own discounts.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16268 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
They sell Justin Bieber autographs?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
They sell Justin Bieber autographs?

Yes and it was surprisingly affordable!

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Uni-Solve.

I used it every day when I worked in the medical field.

It absolutely dissolves sticker or tape adhesive.
Easy Peary.

You can get it from Amazon.

Email me your address and I’ll send you a couple.

Uni-Solve Link

Posts: 11814 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Uni-Solve.

I used it every day when I worked in the medical field.

It absolutely dissolves sticker or tape adhesive.
Easy Peary.

You can get it from Amazon.

Email me your address and I’ll send you a couple.

Uni-Solve Link

It might remove paint if the frame has a finish to it.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:

It might remove paint if the frame has a finish to it.
Original Post says: "Not the end of the world, Ill probably buy a nicer frame anyway," so no harm in trying.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Put a drop or two of WD40 on it, or aerokroil (I like Kroil). Soak the sticker then work it off with your finger and a cloth. Apply another drop or two to loosen any remaining adhesive. Done.

I use this even on used paperback books without any harm to the cover.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Pricing stickers in retail outlets that can’t be removed to prevent shoplifting scams are one thing, and the thief who has enough time to peel off a couple of stickers and put the wrong one on an item will usually just put the item in a pocket or under an article of clothing. Plus it’s not about stickers that are so easy to remove it’s like taking off like a Post-It note, but rather stickers that are virtually impossible to remove without damaging the product. I can’t soak the cover of a book in WD-40 for 10 minutes to try to get its sticker off. I have removed some stickers on books with various solvents without stains or damage, but not all. Many stickers are slow to remove and show obvious damage once they are removed, but can still be removed without anything other than a fingernail and a little patience.

And then there are the nonremovable stickers that have nothing to do with pricing.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use a product called "Goo-gone" get it at any hardware store. Removes all types of stickers for me. Hope this helps.

Two things bring me to tears. The unconditional Love of God,the service of the United States Military,past,present,and future.

I would rather meet
a slick-sleeve private,
than a hollywood star!

Posts: 2334 | Registered: February 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
I can’t soak the cover of a book in WD-40 for 10 minutes to try to get its sticker off.

A couple of drops, 10 seconds, scratch the sticker away with fingernail, then another drop or two and polish the adhesive off wth a red rag. Less than a minute clean, no stain, and it wont't smell.

I'm a used book junkie, and do it all the time.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Goo-Gone" works great. I have taken decals off of fire trucks with it. Spray it on, wait a few minutes, wipe, repeat. All it takes is a little patience and time and it does not take the paint off the truck unless you really try to take it off.

_________

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.

Henry Ford

Posts: 724 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
Recently bought some nice wood - wood intended to be the decorative viewable portion of a project. And it had glued stickers all over the nice side instead of the back side.

Hate that shit.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Used car with a Hillary sticker next to an Obama sticker?

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post