SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Blocking the box
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blocking the box Login/Join 
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted
Anyone that does this deserves to be infested with the fleas of a thousand camels!

This one intersection is particularly bad. Traffic from the other side of the intersection that turn left, I've seen up to 8 cars pull out into the box at one time, they will go the left and right of the normal traffic lane just to be out there. It's absolutely ridiculous.

So they block the crosswalks and when the opposite side gets the green light no one can make a right turn and traffic can't go straight.

Oh and not only that but people will sneak up the straight lane and make the turn and try to sneak in.

I hate people.

Posts: 10188 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
Maine has no "anti-gridlock" laws, and most towns don't either, so it can get pretty bad at times.
I've been known to lay on my horn for the entire time that I'm at the front on the line and someone blocks the intersection. The moment the light turns green for me, and I can't go? That's my horn blowing in your window.
I particularly like it when they look at me with a "sorry, but I was eating a Milky Way" expression... Mad

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
I don't know if there is a specific law regarding blocking intersections but I do know that you can't block a crosswalk and I do know you can't make a left turn on a red light.

I also know that you are an absolute asshole if you block the box at all.

I've had people honk at me because I wouldn't pull out into the box when traffic wasn't moving.

I'm sure these same people bitch and moan when they are on the other side of the intersection and people block the box on them.

Posts: 10188 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kx90:
I don't know if there is a specific law regarding blocking intersections
The po-po write tickets for that, around here. Rightfully so. Inconsiderate "me first" drivers can really screw up traffic.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Been a while since I've been over there, but there are multiple signs around Austin & at intersections advertising the fines for "Blocking the box"
Only a couple bad intersection on my N Houston commute that it's an issue, but it is a huge pain when it happens & congests everything behind it in all directions.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15311 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scientific Beer Geek
posted Hide Post
I know Philly has strict a ordinance for blocking intersections and they do ticket for it. People have become so self absorbed that they have lost the capacity for simple basic courtesy.

Just my $0.02,

Mike

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2079 | Location: Philadelphia Suburbs | Registered: August 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
how about the stupid people that only look at the green light , but not where they want to drive?

it happens all the time here,
so now they light is green so they start turning the corner across traffic,
then !
they see that there are a dozen cars backed up , so they
have to stop in the inter section .

now the on coming traffic is screwed,
they have to wait for three cars to get through

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54633 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HKg3:
I know Philly has strict a ordinance for blocking intersections and they do ticket for it. People have become so self absorbed that they have lost the capacity for simple basic courtesy.

Just my $0.02,

Mike
This is in NJ, right near the court house in Trenton. Trying to cross a bridge to PA.

I've seen Trenton cops down there but they don't do anything to stop it.

Trying to get across a bridge back to PA is worse than sticking your head halfway out the door and putting the window up.

Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
how about the stupid people that only look at the green light , but not where they want to drive?

it happens all the time here,
so now they light is green so they start turning the corner across traffic,
then !
they see that there are a dozen cars backed up , so they
have to stop in the inter section .

now the on coming traffic is screwed,
they have to wait for three cars to get through
Don't let them fool you, they know exactly what they're doing.

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Maybe I don't understand what "blocking the box" is, but if you mean pulling out into the intersection while waiting to turn left with oncoming traffic, consider me guilty. I do it all the time.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Maybe I don't understand what "blocking the box" is, but if you mean pulling out into the intersection while waiting to turn left with oncoming traffic, consider me guilty. I do it all the time.

No that is fine.

It's getting stuck in the intersection after the light changes. So you have a green light but traffic is slow but you pull into the intersection to go straight anyway and get stuck.

Pulling into the intersection to prepare to turn left was how I was taught to drive.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the state of Texas, this is illegal. If your light turns red before you can get out the intersection, you're blocking cross traffic from moving forward and preventing mobility in crosswalks and bike lanes. In other words, if you block the box, you are traffic!

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Sat through three red lights while cars making a left turn filled up the intersection. Traffic never moved enough to let us get through. Finally, they clean enough and we go through.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

This is blocking the box:

http://www.thehour.com/news/ar...otorists-9177901.php

The SUV in the hatched area (the box) should not have pulled out until that lane of traffic moved far enough for them to not be in the box area when the traffic signal changed. So traffic coming from the other side there now cannot proceed because of one dick-bag that didn't want to wait one more traffic signal cycle.

Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
Sat through three red lights while cars making a left turn filled up the intersection. Traffic never moved enough to let us get through. Finally, they clean enough and we go through.

Just one of many reasons I avoid the Seattle area at all costs anymore. I'd go insane if I had to put up with Seattle drivers every day.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
That term is new for me, also. I've never seen an intersection with a box painted in it like the photo above.

Posts: 8273 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by houndawg:
That term is new for me, also. I've never seen an intersection with a box painted in it like the photo above.

Basically the area inside the crosswalks is considered the "box" or intersection.

posted Hide Post
I will pull into the intersection if I am the only car there, but if I am behind a car in the intersection, I will not follow it out there.
Here too there are laws against blocking the intersection, not sure the police give tickets for it.
If you get hit while in the intersection illegally, not only will you get a ticket, but it is quite possible that your insurance company will have to fix your car.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by houndawg:

I've never seen that either, but the "box" exists regardless of whether there is paint on the street or not.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Yep, it seems as though every town has times/intersections where this is a prevalent issue.

People who block intersections suck.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post