SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Schools are out for smoke but.....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Schools are out for smoke but..... Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I went to have my phone battery replaced. Lots of kids at the mall today. Apparently no (public) school for the past couple of days due to smoke levels (large area fires).

So, people are going to work, going about their lives but schools are out? Because of smoke? I get it if it's just pre-school or something. But high school? Middle school even?

And it seems like just public schools. After school hours, I saw kids in private school uniforms start to show up.

If the air is so bad that school has to be cancelled, seems like the kids ought to be staying at home? And apparently not bad enough to cancel private schools....

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
It was just a "make the parents feel good" gesture...plus an early start for the Thanksgiving holiday made it an easy choice. The first schools to close down were the colleges, than the Community colleges, then one by one the school districts.

It really doesn't make much difference unless you already have respiratory issues. The air is likely better at the mall than at home

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
On the upside, I drove from Lincoln to Oakland today with nearly no traffic. Only a small slowdown in Berkeley before the split. All the kids must be home holding their breath.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
You may have 'smoke' days just like we have 'snow' days in Montana. But.... you'll have to make them up in the spring. Gotta get so many days in each year .

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I understand legit. I assume on snow days, most people just stay home. And affects public and private schools alike.

Seems like here, smoke days (never heard of them before), (public) kids get out of school and just to the mall or parks. Smoke days, at least in this area, don't seem legit. The masses still go out and work.

I get it for people with respiratory issues. But otherwise, seems like much ado about nuthin.

On the other hand, I do see people wearing masks. I wonder if that's truly indicated or not. Should I be wearing one (even though I don't seem to be having any issues? Prophylactic for something?).

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The story contains a video on proper use of N95 mask and some good info on air quality. LINK:

https://www.sacbee.com/news/st...rticle221778395.html

Posts: 17176 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Good thing we don't have something called the Internet that could be used for online classes and such Mad

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An ass covering move that puts special air for special snowflakes in the hands of parents. Also maybe a relief valve for teachers given recess moved indoors last week.

My office offered work from home on Friday which I can't do. I gave masks to a few coworkers but nixed ordering them for the office. I even wore one outside to make the wife happy.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
On the other hand, I do see people wearing masks. I wonder if that's truly indicated or not. Should I be wearing one (even though I don't seem to be having any issues? Prophylactic for something?).

Can't be too careful....So you put on the rubber and wear it all day...? Frown How would others tell if you had your pants zipped up and it was inside? Frown Guess you wouldn't want smoked meat unless the girls enjoy it that way. Of course its Kali and not just the girls use it that way.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
what kind of mask? For smoke you would need a fairly expensive one that filters certain gasses and vapors not just dust.

How is closing the school keeping the kids from breathing the smoke?

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post