SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Finding tomatoes
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finding tomatoes Login/Join 
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
One other thing I learned about tomatoes, is that putting them in the fridge will make the tomato meat mushy. Never refrigerate your tomatoes.

When I worked for Harbor, Subway was one of our customers. We were the distribution center for about 450 subway restaurants. Subway aka IPC (Independent Purchasing Cooperative) has some ridiculously strict guidelines on tomatoes. We had a specific temperature cold room for tomatoes. Ideal if I remember correctly, was 54 degrees.
Anything colder will cause the meat to get mushy.
Two other things to note, all of Subways tomatoes come from Lipman Produce.
Subway never allows their tomatoes to be gassed. Honest to god, those tomatoes that were picked on Friday, arrived at our warehouse Sunday or Monday. Some of the best tomatoes I have had.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Fl is a tough place to grow tomatoes, the heat and excessive rain periods play havoc on the fruit.

This year planted two Heirloom plants, grown from seed, they've done well, use a fertilizer recommended by my DIY shop, far as I can tell no goats have shit in the bag.

First batch

Too much rain and you get skin split, too much heat and low or small fruit size...

Maybe a good goat will help....

Posts: 23371 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
One other thing I learned about tomatoes, is that putting them in the fridge will make the tomato meat mushy. Never refrigerate your tomatoes.

When I worked for Harbor, Subway was one of our customers. We were the distribution center for about 450 subway restaurants. Subway aka IPC (Independent Purchasing Cooperative) has some ridiculously strict guidelines on tomatoes. We had a specific temperature cold room for tomatoes. Ideal if I remember correctly, was 54 degrees.
Anything colder will cause the meat to get mushy.
Two other things to note, all of Subways tomatoes come from Lipman Produce.
Subway never allows their tomatoes to be gassed. Honest to god, those tomatoes that were picked on Friday, arrived at our warehouse Sunday or Monday. Some of the best tomatoes I have had.

It's a shame that subway doesn't care as much about the quality of the meat they put in their sandwiches as they do about their tomatoes!!!!!!!!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jimmy123x,

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

It's a shame that subway doesn't care as much about the quality of the meat they put in their sandwiches as they do about their tomatoes!!!!!!!!!

Agreed on that. It's funny as the meats and cheeses are mid to low grade, however their bread is made specifically for them, flash frozen and baked on site.

I should have mentioned, it's not just their tomatoes. They are insane about all their produce. It is all incredibly freash. They have an entire book "The Subway Gold Standards" that you have to follow, and are audited on. It covers everything. Literally every situation that you can think of in a distribution center.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Jimmy123x, this is from the Gold Standards Book"

Product Handling: DISTRIBUTOR agrees to meet the following product handling criteria for all products including Approved Products.
a) DISTRIBUTOR agrees to handle all products safely and carefully, protecting product integrity to assure that full and intended utilization is maintained.
b) DISTRIBUTOR will not present any compromised product, or product with significant appearance of compromise, to any Restaurant for delivery.
c) All compromised products, or product with significant appearance of compromise, in possession by the DISTRIBUTOR, will be promptly destroyed or isolated and held, if awaiting disposition instructions.
d) DISTRIBUTOR agrees to meet the proper shelf life criteria for all products, including Approved Products, as outlined in Schedule 1 of this Exhibit. The Schedule 1 will be updated throughout the year as needed to accommodate changes or new product introductions.
e) DISTRIBUTOR agrees to verify that the following temperatures are met while RECEIVING and/or BACKHAULING SUBWAY® products.
i) Frozen: -10°F to +5°F (-23°C to -15°C)
ii) Refrigerated Proteins: 28°F to 38°F (-2°C to +3°C)
iii) Refrigerated: 33°F to 41°F (1°C to 5°C)
Includes processed produce
iv) Tomatoes 50°F to 75°F (10°C to 24°C)
v) Peppers & Cucumbers 45°F to 60°F (7°C to 16°C)
NOTE: If inbound temperatures do not meet these standards, please refer to the IPC Operations Manual for Distributors for temperature taking and documentation processes.
f) DISTRIBUTOR agrees to maintain following temperature environments for STORING SUBWAY® products and confirm compliance daily.
ii) Refrigerated Proteins: 28°F to 38°F (-2°C to +3°C)
iii) Refrigerated: 33°F to 38°F (1°C to 3°C)
iv) Tomatoes: 52°F to 60°F (11°C to 16°C)
v) Peppers & Cucumbers 45°F to 60°F (7°C to 16°C)
g) DISTRIBUTOR agrees to adhere to the following product temperatures for DELIVERING products to SUBWAY® restaurants.
ii) Refrigerated Proteins: 28°F to 41°F (-2°C to +5°C)
iii) All Refrigerated: 33°F to 41°F (1°C to 5°C)
iv) Tomatoes: 50°F to 75°F (10°C to 24°C)
v) Peppers & Cucumbers 33°F to 60°F (1°C to 16°C)
h) DISTRIBUTOR agrees that products shall not remain out of the specified product temperature range for longer than 30 minutes. Distributor must be able to demonstrate that periodic validation and documentation of this requirement is in place.
i) DISTRIBUTOR agrees that all dock areas where refrigerated and frozen products are staged for receiving and/or loading shall maintain a temperature range of 34°F to 45°F (1°C to 7°C).
j) DISTRIBUTOR agrees to check product code dates, product condition, and temperature at time of RECEIVING.
k) DISTRIBUTOR agrees to use either a probe thermometer or an infrared gun that is accurate to +/- 2°F (+/- 1°C) for checking temperatures at time of RECEIVING. The device must be calibrated according to the manufacturer’s directions and accuracy verified daily.
l) Distributor agrees to review and download all time and temperature recorders immediately upon arrival of loads where the recorders are present. The data from the time and temperature recorder is to be a guideline to start the receiving approval process. Refer to IPC Operating Requirements for complete receiving guidelines.
m) DISTRIBUTOR agrees to rotate product on a FIFO or FEFO (First Expired, First Out) basis whichever is furthest from the product expiration date, based on product code dates unless otherwise instructed for promotional items or international shipment.
n) DISTRIBUTOR acknowledges that case labels or markings affixed by the suppliers are designed for use by the restaurants and may reflect different requirements than those set forth in this Agreement. In the event of any conflict between the requirements of this Agreement and the case labels or markings of the suppliers, the requirements set forth in this Agreement shall supersede those of supplier. DISTRIBUTOR agrees to follow the requirements of this Agreement at all-time unless otherwise directed by FWH R&D.
o) DISTRIBUTOR agrees to select, palletize, and load all refrigerated product separately from ambient temperature products for all outbound deliveries. Tomatoes are considered an ambient product for picking and palletizing purposes.
p) Strip curtains mounted and utilized in all doorways used for the offloading of temperature sensitive items. In lieu of strip curtains, DISTRIBUTOR may use refrigeration unit on / off switches connected to door openings.
q) DISTRIBUTOR agrees that prior to any loading activities that the delivery equipment shall be in proper working order, cleaned for proper transport of food products and pre-cooled to the temperature of the refrigerated loading dock. The preload temperature is to be verified and documented.
2) Product Disposition: In the event that a SUBWAY labeled product is determined to be unfit for sale to SUBWAY restaurants, DISTRIBUTOR agrees to destroy product and not to offer said product for sale or donation to any entity. The affected product is to be destroyed at the DISTRIBUTORS location. DISTRIBUTOR agrees to have such disposition witnessed and to provide photographs of disposal to FWH and/or IPC as requested.
Any changes to this policy will be issued in writing by FWH and/or IPC and will be unique to a specific instance of Disposition.
3) DISTRIBUTOR Delivery Vehicles / Equipment: It is ultimately the DISTRIBUTOR’S responsibility to meet the delivery requirements outlined in 1(g), 1(n), 1(o), and 1(p). Therefore, DISTRBUTOR agrees to take the steps necessary to meet those requirements. (Examples: Bulkheads, blankets, evaporators, slip sheets, wrapping, pre cooling, strip curtains, load plans, inspections, maintenance, process requirements, etc.)
In order to help meet the temperature requirements, it is strongly recommended that the DISTRIBUTOR meet the following best practice criteria. These best practices are currently being used by some DCs in our system. As equipment and process are updated, IPC expects approved Distributors to be working toward these best practices.
a) All delivery equipment / vehicles for frozen and refrigerated products have a minimum of 3 compartments using the necessary bulkheads and a blanket for tomatoes with separate evaporator units (main and 1 remote) for the frozen and refrigerated compartments.
b) For routes involving layovers with Subway deliveries made on the second day of the route, a second remote evaporator is necessary to maintain proper temperatures by creating a dry/tomato compartment set at 65°.
c) The frozen and refrigerated sections of the delivery equipment / vehicle will have separate temperature recording devices. Temperature details must be downloaded and documented for each delivery route and available upon request.
d) Distributor agrees that as trailers are replaced and upgraded in the fleet that the above recommendations will be considered for the replacement equipment.
e) DISTRIBUTOR agrees to use blankets or plastic shrouds to protect tomatoes from cold temperatures during outbound deliveries. Best practice for delivering tomatoes is on dedicated pallets with slip sheets and blankets. (Onions can also be placed on those pallets). On three compartment trucks, tomatoes should be delivered in the ambient compartment of the truck unless the refrigerated section is warmer than the ambient compartment.
Exceptions to sections 1 or 2 of the Subway Gold Standards for Distribution, Exhibit A can only be approved by IPC and FWH. Exceptions must be documented in writing and made part of the Distribution Agreement. It is the distributor’s responsibility to modify their operations in order to meet the receiving, storing and delivery temperature requirements as identified in section 1 of this exhibit A.

quote:
The “lol” thread

I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Because tomatoes are picked green, then gassed to change their color to red (to appear ripe). You're buying green tomatoes.

Holy shit. I never knew this.

I'm going to have to start growing my own.

Posts: 13086 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^
Same with bannanas. Have to be gassed to turn yellow, because they are picked green.

Posts: 17221 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
When using natural (farm animal) fertilizers in your garden be very careful because of its strength compared to store bought can be much stronger. As a kid our family had a garden the size of a city lot and several times the plants got burned because of the quanity used. But I agree that home grown or farmers market veggies and fruits are better tasting than store bought. ................drill sgt.

Posts: 1997 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
^^^^^^^^
Same with bannanas. Have to be gassed to turn yellow, because they are picked green.

Bananas, oh yes, I had to go pull a manual off my shelf. I've had that manual for 24 years. Many many years ago I was a fleet and driver manager for a large trucking company specializing in Reefer Transport (refrigerated trailers).

Bananas were to be transported in "Constant Run at 58 Degrees".

Many fruits and vegetables, especially fruits, are picked in a green state, transported, and treated with gases to stall and the ripening process until they reach the consumer point.

They also taste like, well, blah, because of this.

You want good, really good tasting vegetables and fruits? Buy from someone local to you and/or grow your own. Best is Heirloom Varieties, subject to your interpretation of what is "Best".

BTW as an aside, did you know that Ice Cream is transported at -10 to -20 degrees? Ice Cream starts to thaw at 5 Degrees above Zero. Your home freezer just can't normally get down to Below Zero, and frost free freezers do their thing by heating up the compartment walls to fend off frost, and this process is not good for the ice cream, or most anything in the freezer.

Posts: 11836 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Tomato plants like the same growing condition as roses: plenty of sun, water, fertilizer and good soil.

I know this because one of my rose-growing friends in CA had an empty spot where one of his roses died, and it was going to be a while before he decided what rose to put in its spot. So he put in a tomato there. It got the full rose-treatment, and got huge. As in, 10 ft tall, needing crazy support (we called his massive setup 'trellis maximus') because, while the plants can get large, they don't get any more structurally robust.

And, oh yeah, the tomatoes off that monstrosity were stellar. Smile

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:
Been growing my own for ages. There is no other way! It's super easy to do, the simplest method is to use pots like the pic above. Mine go directly in the ground due to the volume. I put a Tums antacid in the bottom of each hole for added calcium so the fruit does not get blossom end rot. I also use Miracle Grow and Seven brand pesticide. Be sure to water regularly, and you'll have the best tasting tomatoes you've ever had in about 70 days.

interesting on the tums, first I had head of that,

I was told by a couple oldtimers to sprinkle just a little epson salts around them

not sure it that was pest control or flavor , the old guy just said do it,

I did not plant any this year due to time, and the wife (who ate them, I don't care for fresh tomato's)

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drill sgt:
When using natural (farm animal) fertilizers in your garden be very careful because of its strength compared to store bought can be much stronger. As a kid our family had a garden the size of a city lot and several times the plants got burned because of the quanity used. But I agree that home grown or farmers market veggies and fruits are better tasting than store bought. ................drill sgt.

friend did that years ago using chickenshit,

he got it fresh from the chicken,,, house (large producer, not a small coop) and spread it out , leftovers went on the yard,

the ammonia apparently burnt everything up,

best is to, if you get it fresh, mix it with compost and use it next year

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
I was told by a couple oldtimers to sprinkle just a little epson salts around them

not sure it that was pest control or flavor , the old guy just said do it,

Epsom salt is added as a fertilizer. Plants need magnesium, and magnesium helps plants absorb other macro nutrients like calcium. I suppose it helps with blossom rot because it helps the plant absorb the available calcium better.

As a kid, we always used dolomite lime, but our soils were on the acidic side in Virginia. Perhaps being on the east coast with all of those coal fired electricity plants in Tennessee? Here in Utah, we're not so acidic, so I like to add calcium without raising the pH, so I think gypsum is the way to go. Now I'm feeling paranoid about my blooming tomatoes, so I might make up a foliar spray. I have new house and I didn't test the soil before planting this year.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8212 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:
Originally posted by drill sgt:

friend did that years ago using chickenshit,

he got it fresh from the chicken,,, house (large producer, not a small coop) and spread it out , leftovers went on the yard,

the ammonia apparently burnt everything up,

best is to, if you get it fresh, mix it with compost and use it next year

It should sit two years before use, at least one, and needs to be turned. I've added horse shit a few times. It's also important to spread it during late winter and till it very well into the existing soil in the spring. It has to breakdown for a while to be useful. The other big key is it must have lime spread when you apply it, then a second round when it's tilled.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Skins2881,

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20804 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
^^^^ See! People here do indeed know shit!!!! Big Grin There are experts in everything here.

Posts: 11836 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Shit talk is something I'm an expert at.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20804 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post