SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Finding tomatoes
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finding tomatoes Login/Join 
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted
Why is it so hard to get a decent burger quality tomato at the store? And no, I am not set up to grow my own.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6314 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Because tomatoes are picked green, then gassed to change their color to red (to appear ripe). You're buying green tomatoes. This is so the tomatoes will be able to survive the transport from farm to grocery store. This also extends the time the tomatoes can be stored or out in the produce section.

Don't you remember that old Good Eats episode where Brown squeezes a store-bough tomato in a vice? "Bullet proof" was the term he used. That's definitely not good eats.

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Do you have any farmer markets (or similar) in the area? There are also some setups for growing tomatoes indoors. You just can’t get a good one at a typical store. It’s damn near like eating a different plant.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
That is what a back yard is for.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
That is what a back yard is for.

You don't even need a real backyard. A 5 gallon bucket and some hydro solution will have you in Tomatoes in about 60 days if you get a started plant.

We have 60 in the ground and another 30 waiting for me to recover from emergency surgery. Can't wait for fresh maters

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Years ago I knew this old guy who grew incredible tomatoes. He said that the secret is using goat shit as fertilizer, something to which most of us do not have access.

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Look for a grocery that has a spot in the produce section labeled "Heirloom Tomatos" those usually have a great taste.

Other than that, try to find a farmers market or just someone selling home grown in your area.

Posts: 11840 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
For the first time in about thirty years I put in a few tomato plants. Got the seedlings from my local farm stand. they seem to be doing well.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I find 'em 10 foot from my back door. I'm predominately a salsa and marinara gardener, but I do grow some slicers and cherry tomatoes.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23249 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Each summer a local farm starts up some roadside stands selling honest-to-goodness, locally grown tomatoes, corn, green beans, and other fruits and veggies. Truly ripe and delicious - the next best thing to picking veggies straight from Grandpa's garden many, many year ago.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My neighbor uses a hanging pot system that sprouts a crap load of 'maters every year. I think she gets them at Lowes.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Because tomatoes are picked green, then gassed to change their color to red (to appear ripe). You're buying green tomatoes. This is so the tomatoes will be able to survive the transport from farm to grocery store. This also extends the time the tomatoes can be stored or out in the produce section.

Don't you remember that old Good Eats episode where Brown squeezes a store-bough tomato in a vice? "Bullet proof" was the term he used. That's definitely not good eats.

Along with strawberries, oranges and a lot of other fruits and why most grocery store fruits taste like nothing.........

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
The only tomatoes that taste any good to me are the Heirloom tomatoes at Whole Foods (or others) and cost a ton of money per pound. Frown

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
i love tomatoes especially heirloom. but it’s very seasonal for as i won’t buy produce from mexico. someday, i may just give up. but for now, finding tomatoes is seasonal and hard to find. when in season, i buy a lot, eat a lot and make a lot of sauce to freeze and eat later.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I can’t stand fresh tomatoes, but I like growing them. Mine just went to flower this week. My wife and kids may be enjoying them by the fourth.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
This is my wife's little setup. She does something similar every year, and it gives us several weeks' worth of very good tomatoes.

A couple of 10-12 gallon pots and those metal support structures, some bagged soil, water, and that's about it. Of course, the starter plants- usually found at home depot or such. The plastic sheeting helps keep in moisture as we're in the high desert.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Years ago I knew this old guy who grew incredible tomatoes. He said that the secret is using goat shit as fertilizer, something to which most of us do not have access.

Hmm, interesting. I will have to keep that in mind for next year. There's a place that has a bunch of mini goats not too far from here, that I often ride by. I may have to stop in one of these times and ask if I can "dip into" their manure supply. I could even offer to trade them some of our horse shit for some of their goat shit.

Posts: 7344 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
Been growing my own for ages. There is no other way! It's super easy to do, the simplest method is to use pots like the pic above. Mine go directly in the ground due to the volume. I put a Tums antacid in the bottom of each hole for added calcium so the fruit does not get blossom end rot. I also use Miracle Grow and Seven brand pesticide. Be sure to water regularly, and you'll have the best tasting tomatoes you've ever had in about 70 days.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I find them on chicken sandwiches from Wendy's. I just order my spicy chicken with no tomato, then find them between the lettuce and mayo. The help isn't smart enough to understand that no tomato means don't put it on.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Along with strawberries, oranges and a lot of other fruits and why most grocery store fruits taste like nothing.........

I was 22 years old when I had my first real Orange. Wanted some time off when I got out of the service and was hitchiking around Europe. Bought an Orange at a market somewhere in Spain. It was glorious. I learned at that moment that all of those orange colored orbs I'd been eating for years were some other kind of crap.

Fortunately the family had been growing Tomatoes for years so I already knew what a real tomato tasted like. It's a practice I've insisted my wife and I continue.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
I find them on chicken sandwiches from Wendy's. I just order my spicy chicken with no tomato, then find them between the lettuce and mayo. The help isn't smart enough to understand that no tomato means don't put it on.

You need to request it !En Español¡

Seriously, I kept getting mayonnaise slathered on everything until I started specifying “sin mayonesa, por favor” It seems to register better in their native tongue.

SIN TOMATE

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post