SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Chick-Fil-A has bent the knee - literally.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chick-Fil-A has bent the knee - literally. Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted
Not exactly breaking news two months later, but I hadn't seen it discussed so far. Since we're talking about boycotting other businesses who've decided to kneel, I figured this is one some members might want to know about.

quote:
At Chick-fil-A, we know we have a role in moving all of us forward.

ATLANTA (June 3, 2020) – Words are not enough, and they sometimes aren’t the right words, but we want to say something.

Racism should have no place in society. Not now, not ever. It cannot be tolerated.

Our hearts are breaking, for our black Team Members, Operators and Staff and all those in the Black community who are suffering and who have suffered for too long because of racism.

At Chick-fil-A, we know we have a role in moving all of us forward.
We will listen.
We will be intentional.
We will share.

We will act to build bridges — to spread care and hope into our world — today and always.

Dan T. Cathy, Chick-fil-A’s Chairman and CEO, shared his thoughts with staff over the weekend: “This is a time that we must love our neighbors more than we have ever done before, with greater empathy than ever before.”

Dan shared more of his personal reflections on his LinkedIn page. Read his full LinkedIn post below:

“I am tired.” I’ve heard this phrase too many times in my private conversations with black friends and colleagues, in the last 72 hours.

What I have come to understand is that they are tired of the violence, abuse and injustice. They are tired, because no amount of kneeling or marching seems to truly address what has ailed our country for generations: A controverted view of race which is sometimes overt and sometimes subtle but always destructive.

“Use your privilege.” This is another phrase I hear over and over. To whom much is given, much is required.

I recognize that someone like me cannot fully appreciate and understand the gross injustices that are all around us. I also recognize that talking about the systemic inequality, bias, and injustices in our country will draw criticism. But neither of these reasons makes it ok for me to remain silent about the issues that now so publicly confront our nation. The killings of George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery and many others is horrifying and merits our outrage. We should also address the disparate impact of COVID-19 on black and brown communities, as well as the disparity in educational opportunities and access to opportunity. Nobody talks about it enough, because this is someone else’s problem. I have observed injustice, inequities and blatant indifference to these real problems.

There are countless academics and analysts who have written about how our democratic capitalism benefits only a few hundred incredibly wealthy families, individuals and corporations, so that the American dream is now reserved almost exclusively for them and their descendants.

Because I am among that demographic, I am calling on them — us — to use our power and influence.

A few years ago, I became bothered that the most distressed zip code in Georgia, right next door to the prosperity of downtown Atlanta, was being left behind. So, I committed to use my own power and influence with policymakers and friends to turn their attention to the inequities happening in our local community. Together, we bolstered our financial investments in the redevelopment of the Westside of Atlanta, the historic home of Dr. King. The work is ongoing. We have opened a Chick-fil-A restaurant on Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd. in the shadows of Morehouse College. The store is led by owner-operator Quincy Springs, a black Army veteran. We have invested in Morehouse College, Community health clinics; the At-Promise Center which serves at-risk young people helping to guide them into a brighter future; the Hollis Innovation Stem Academy; and housing through Habitat for Humanity. Additionally, we host a gathering every other Friday on the Westside to pray and intentionally plan the equitable re-development and renaissance of that community. It is one of the most diversely represented and action-oriented gatherings in town.

What else might we do? There are several ways we can use our power and influence.

It starts at home. This is where values begin. We must teach our children about leadership, love and justice.
We must use our influence in our own businesses to be responsible capitalists who meet the needs of society.
We must use our influence so that all of our communities can participate in the rising tide of prosperity and hope.
We must have intentional, difficult conversations with co-workers and strangers. We need to be curious to understand the needs of others. It’s ok to say, ‘I’m not sure I’m saying the right things right now.’ A lot of people don’t engage in hard conversations, because they’re afraid they’ll say something wrong. A dialogue is better than no conversation at all.
Despair and hopelessness have always been a part of the human experience. In the book of Nehemiah, found in the Old Testament, we read about the conviction of the cupbearer of the king, who became aware of the plight of his people in Jerusalem. His conviction moved him to action to be a catalyst for the renaissance in his homeland.

The most dangerous person in the world is a person with no hope. Let’s open the door to dialogue and healing.

It’s ok if its messy.

It’s ok if tears are shed.

We are human.

Let’s be moved to action. Let’s join together to build a world that reflects God’s love for all of us.

https://www.chick-fil-a.com/st...nds-to-recent-events

Dan Cathy followed that up with this, for lack of a better word, stunt.

Now, I've seen some discussion about how this clip below is "lacking the full context of the conversation" so I invite you to watch the full version if you like and make up your own mind, but I feel that everything that needs to be seen and heard happens in about a minute's worth of video. The other guy there also said some cringey stuff he later had to apologize for.

Original link:
https://youtu.be/GYjE5PPfQR0

Full hour and ten minute version here:
https://youtu.be/xEuI-03Jcc4

Now, I've always liked Chick-Fil-A. They make a damn fine chicken sandwich, and their service is second to none. I liked the company values and I liked that they unapologetically practiced their Christian faith. They stood strong in times when many won't. Then they started to dabble in pandering to the LGBTXYZ movement, which I wasn't thrilled about, but kind of understood. Now, they're serving up a big steaming helping of white guilt, and I'm not buying it. I will not support businesses that do this, it's my line in the sand.

I was expecting this with the NFL, NHL, et al. I don't really watch pro sports to begin with, so that wasn't all that big an impact to me. Chick-Fil-A, to me, had sort of become a symbol of resisting the social engineering and simply plotting your own course with faith and dignity while the rest of the world tries to figure itself out. No more. The statement they released has its merits and its failings, but watching Dan Cathy get down on his knees and awkwardly "shine" that guy's shoes and lecturing about shame and embarrassment was the final straw for me. I'm not ashamed to have been born a white man, but I am embarrassed for Dan Cathy.

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I ate there ONCE, it wasn't that special. It won't happen again even if I wanted a shine.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I'm like @az4783054. When I want something to eat I cook it myself or go to a restaurant.

"Fast food?" Sounds like a contradiction in terms. If I'm fasting, I'm not eating.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
'Food cooked in a expeditious manner' doesn't roll off the tongue quite as well as 'fast food'.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
I ate there ONCE, it wasn't that special. It won't happen again even if I wanted a shine.

Unadulterated and pure blasphemy right there!!

Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I felt obligated to send an email asking them to please, PLEASE, stop pandering to special interest groups and to stick to what they already do very well: Provide good food at reasonable cost with courteous service.

It will probably fall on deaf ears, but we all know that the journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love CFA, go there a lot (almost always for their Coke Zeros and Diet Lemonades, sometimes for their iced coffee. It's kinda warm here in Florida and those are cooling without the sugar (which I gotta avoid).

I like the locations-two within a few minutes of my house.

I like the kids that work there. While they aren't perfect, I'm sure, they have always been unfailingly polite, and those I've come to know by name always take a moment to speak to me, even if they are not the ones taking care of my order.

Before the mask era, the ones in the drive-thru always approached my vehicle with a smile-I liked that and I actually smiled back.

I don't know, nor have I met Dan Cathy. I don't care what he does, within reason, and nothing I saw here changes my desire to run over and get a diet lemonade, right now.

I must say, he seems to think he is helping make "things" better, whether you agree with his way or not. And, to me, that's a whole lot better than trying to tear things down.

Bob

Posts: 1573 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I posted about this several weeks ago... and it wasn't well received.

Actually, deleted...

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have never seen what is so great about them myself. Decent food but not that special, but now i will not spend another cent there. If he really believes what he did is so wonderful, he is a fool. He is pandering to a bunch of marxist and extremists and too stupid to realize it.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To use his power and influence?
Over who, exactly?
And to what end?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
He did put the shoe shine guy out of work...

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tleo205:

I have never seen what is so great about them myself.
Compared them to any other fast food restaurant that I have been in, Chick-Fil-A is cleaner, more efficient, much higher probability of getting the order filled correctly, courteous employees.

In just about any category that you can judge a fast food place, Chick-Fil-A stands out, miles ahead of other chains.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
A similar thread on Chick-fil-A CEO shoe shining the black guy was nuked recently. Just a fyi. Wink

Q

Posts: 26349 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
A similar thread on Chick-fil-A CEO shoe shining the black guy was nuked recently. Just a fyi. Wink

Well, too late for me to do anything about it now. Sorry, Para.

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by tleo205:

Compared them to any other fast food restaurant that I have been in, Chick-Fil-A is cleaner, more efficient, much higher probability of getting the order filled correctly, courteous employees.

In just about any category that you can judge a fast food place, Chick-Fil-A stands out, miles ahead of other chains.

I agree 100%.

Posts: 794 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have never eaten there, but drive by one around lunch hour. They do a thriving business. They have a right to their beliefs. Once they try shoving them down your throat there is a problem. They did that some with Christianity. They made a big deal here of being closed on Sundays. They then tried to shame some of the other fast food establishments that were open. If they start adding signs supporting BLM and the like that is crossing the line. Starbucks is WAY over the line.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

I have never eaten there, but drive by one around lunch hour. They do a thriving business. They have a right to their beliefs. Once they try shoving them down your throat there is a problem. They did that some with Christianity. They made a big deal here of being closed on Sundays. They then tried to shame some of the other fast food establishments that were open.
WHAT? You have NEVER partaken of Chick-Fil-A? Try it. You'll like it! For an intro, if you like spicy, try the spicy chicken sandwich; if you do not like spicy, try the grilled chicken sandwich.

Re Christianity, that doesn't bother me. After all, Jesus was a Jew (even though He had a Puerto Rican name). Wink

Yeah, they are closed on Sunday. Mostly. I do remember a freak snow / ice storm in the Birmingham area on a Sunday. The Chick-Fil-A opened, all except for the cash registers, and the employees were slogging through the snow, carrying free food to stranded motorists. Similarly here in the Orlando area, not snow, but a shooting, and they were bringing free food to First Responders on a Sunday.

Shaming other places for being open on Sunday? I won't argue that, I'll just say that I never heard of them doing that. I'll bet that it certainly is not a corporate practice, it might have been an individual franchise owner who overstepped.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
+1 on the spicy chicken. Delicious!

Posts: 794 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
What the crap happened to the CEO of CFA? Now I must add them to my "Piss On Them List".

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

Well, too late for me to do anything about it now. Sorry, Para.

White guilt. Cathy is an embarrassment. Pandering to the leftists won't make them like you, moron, but at the same time you just lost a lot of your customers. Roll Eyes

Many will continue to eat at CFA, and that's their choice, fine, but I drew my own line in the sand, once I saw that garbage.

Q

Posts: 26349 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post