SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Dental work - blech
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dental work - blech Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm well aware of the contractual agreements with certain PPOs. I also am aware of the small percentage of patients that choose to PIF. I find your statement that "nobody" pays full retail (we generally refer to it as a fee, not a price) to be a bit ridiculous, but what do I know? I've only been in practice for 25 years. Please bring me up to speed.

Yes. My thoughts exactly. I once had an attorney ask me about discounts for his son. I told him the Blue Light Special was last Thursday. He did not ask again. Yeah Dentists in Mexico offer better prices and you can haggle too if you want. You can get hip replacements in India for much less as well. Perhaps an internet search for Medical and Dental tourism would be of benefit.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This might prove helpful to those wanting to save some money.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by GregY:
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by GregY:The 5 grand sounds fairly reasonable, retail. But nobody pays retail. Like the list prices in furniture stores, those are ridiculously inflated prices that exist only to give room to come down so people feel like they're getting a deal (sale pricing, or haggling) or to fleece the innocent.

Really? Other than contractual UCF reductions with insurance companies or PIF discounts, I'm not aware of much haggling in dentistry.

Well there certainly is haggling in the furniture biz. And what do you think the contractual payment rates represent? Or cash discounts, which are becoming a thing.

I'm well aware of the contractual agreements with certain PPOs. I also am aware of the small percentage of patients that choose to PIF. I find your statement that "nobody" pays full retail (we generally refer to it as a fee, not a price) to be a bit ridiculous, but what do I know? I've only been in practice for 25 years. Please bring me up to speed.

I'd be really curious to know exactly what proportion of your customers pay cash for your services, and pay 100% of your full fee schedule, exactly.

Suspect you're just a pedantic, prick, sorry.

The people I know who provide medical services, they never expect to get 100% of the posted fee. Especially anything to do with a hospital. The fees are so high precisely *because* you know you're going to get jobbed by insurers.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
I'm reminded of something.

Elective work is different. People do tend to pay the listed rate, but it is also, listed. They see the price before they commit, and they are free to shop around. (Done that recently, actually.)

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^

My comments are specifically regarding dental procedures. I know nothing about hospital billing other than as a patient. Discussion of fees ahead of time is the norm in dentistry, at least around here. It seems like it was in the OP's case as well. He was advised of the fees in advance of the procedure.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post