SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Dental work - blech
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dental work - blech Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted
I am a $1000 lighter and have a sore mouth.

No real complaints - the actual work (prep for two crowns) was pretty easy, but four hours later and with the anesthetic worn off, my mouth is sore.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We always like to leave you with a little reminder so you feel you got your money's worth. Wink

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You got a bargain. My single cost 850. And my mouth was sore, too.

Posts: 17141 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:

I don't know about a bargain; that was my part, after insurance.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My teeth need work. My Dentist will throw out 4 figure costs like I am Bill Gates.
Pretty much explains why his parking lot is empty ever time I visit.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16083 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
I just got an extraction and implant last Thursday at oral surgeon for an eye tooth. I actually still had the baby one and it cracked. Procedure went well and was mostly painless and did not need any pain med after procedure. Not used to having someone use basically a ratchet wrench in my mouth LOL. $2340 for oral surgeon. In four months I go back to check on progress and then to my regular dentist who has to do crown work to fit the implant for another $2400! Insurance will probably pick up $1500 max. Hoping the other baby eye tooth holds up for a while yet. I am not paying $500 for flipper tooth either. I am retired now but if I was still working I would have but not now.

Posts: 9746 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:

$900 is about the going rate for crown and prep around here. My insurance pays about half. I had a couple done a few years ago.

Posts: 9746 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Apparently, $1000 is about the rate around here, too.

But get this. When the girl came in to tell me the price she had this price sheet that claimed the "usual" price for all the work I had done would be something like $5000. But, lucky for me, my insurer had negotiated a better price of $2400 and that the dentist was a preferred provider. I have rarely seen a more transparent marketing ploy. There is no way that two ordinary root canals and crowns costs $5000 and anyone who agreed to pay that would be a fool.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888: There is no way that two ordinary root canals and crowns costs $5000 and anyone who agreed to pay that would be a fool.

Actually it might, depending on the teeth involved. Not my specialty, but I think that sounds pretty close.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Delta Dental has a cost estimator and at least around here they are by far the biggest insurer. If you have Delta Dental and create and account with them then you get the better in network estimates.

https://www.deltadental.com/Pu...ostEstController.ccl

Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
RC are 1395.00 here. Crowns 1200. Right in ball park.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On my latest visit to the dentist for cleaning I asked him why my jaw was so sore after the last time I was in for some minor work that didn't take very long. He said the more novacaine you get, the more sore you're going to be. Never knew that and, unfortunately, needed four shots of anaesthetic before he could work on me.

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:

Actually it might, depending on the teeth involved. Not my specialty, but I think that sounds pretty close.

They weren't molars, but bicuspids. The usual range, according to most everyone is $900 to $1100.

I still think the $5000 was an effort to make me feel like I got a bargain.

And, if they can make a profit doing them for Humana at $1200 a pop, they don't need to get $2500 from the self insured.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:I still think the $5000 was an effort to make me feel like I got a bargain.

And, if they can make a profit doing them for Humana at $1200 a pop, they don't need to get $2500 from the self insured.

That's certainly possible. I obviously am not familiar with fees in Texas. I'd only offer one possible answer based on some of the PPO contracts I've seen. There are often procedures that are reimbursed at little profit (or even a loss) while others are compensated more reasonably. Of course, it's an all or nothing contract and fee schedule that the dentist must agree to. If the average fees and the number of potential patients it generates make sense, he may be willing to accept losses on some procedures.

Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
Ah, root canals.

I've had several. The funky little plastic temp crowns I'm sure you have are funny too.

The 5 grand sounds fairly reasonable, retail. But nobody pays retail. Like the list prices in furniture stores, those are ridiculously inflated prices that exist only to give room to come down so people feel like they're getting a deal (sale pricing, or haggling) or to fleece the innocent.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
It was a lot more convenient when your barber was your dentist, too, and the price was right.

Posts: 15890 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GregY:The 5 grand sounds fairly reasonable, retail. But nobody pays retail. Like the list prices in furniture stores, those are ridiculously inflated prices that exist only to give room to come down so people feel like they're getting a deal (sale pricing, or haggling) or to fleece the innocent.

Really? Other than contractual UCF reductions with insurance companies or PIF discounts, I'm not aware of much haggling in dentistry.

posted Hide Post
People do not like paying for professional services particularly ones that cause pain. I am sure you hear complaints about legal fees as well. Just pretend that it was a Sig you bought and that insurance covered part of the bill.

Posts: 17228 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by GregY:The 5 grand sounds fairly reasonable, retail. But nobody pays retail. Like the list prices in furniture stores, those are ridiculously inflated prices that exist only to give room to come down so people feel like they're getting a deal (sale pricing, or haggling) or to fleece the innocent.

Really? Other than contractual UCF reductions with insurance companies or PIF discounts, I'm not aware of much haggling in dentistry.

Well there certainly is haggling in the furniture biz. And what do you think the contractual payment rates represent? Or cash discounts, which are becoming a thing.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GregY:
quote:
quote:

Well there certainly is haggling in the furniture biz. And what do you think the contractual payment rates represent? Or cash discounts, which are becoming a thing.

I'm well aware of the contractual agreements with certain PPOs. I also am aware of the small percentage of patients that choose to PIF. I find your statement that "nobody" pays full retail (we generally refer to it as a fee, not a price) to be a bit ridiculous, but what do I know? I've only been in practice for 25 years. Please bring me up to speed.