Neighbor Calls the Cops on Me for Mowing His Lawn

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/4310084654

May 08, 2019, 09:15 AM
1967Goat
Neighbor Calls the Cops on Me for Mowing His Lawn
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
I was on my riding mower with my little boy in my lap.

My sister used to live across the street form her in-laws. Grandpa was mowing his lawn with my nephew on his lap when he was very young. Someone called New Jersey DYFS (Division of Youth and Family Services) on them. The reason....the boy wasn't wearing a helmet!!!

My sister called me in a panic. She got a call from DYFS that they were coming by for a visit, which is mandatory if they get a call/report. They don't tell you why, just that they are coming over. They went over what happened and told her not to worry about it.
May 08, 2019, 10:54 AM
PASig
Fuck him, let that shit go to jungle.

May 08, 2019, 11:02 AM
joel9507
quote:
Originally posted by ridgerat:
Is it possible.....that he was watching a small, pixelly image on his laptop, seeing what looked to him, like some nutcase riding an ATV on his lawn?

Give him the benefit of the doubt. Go visit him. He would probably love the company. And you'll both have a good laugh.

This.

If he couldn't recognize you from the screen, then 'better safe than sorry' might have been a rational act. Plus, head injury and probably taking meds - can't imagine that helps decision-making. Sees something he doesn't expect, and freaks.
May 08, 2019, 12:01 PM
bendable
people in tiny town are wicked nuts about A. when their lawn gets mowed
B. who mows the lawn
C. how it is mowed
D. who ask's and who approach's.

I just stopped offering

( cut the guy a lot of slack, he is under some stress, offer next time )

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first
May 08, 2019, 02:30 PM
isthatasiginyourpocket
OK lets apply some common sense here and give this guy the benefit of the doubt. I'm sure when the dust settles and he realizes his neighbor was helping him out he'd be more than grateful.
May 08, 2019, 04:56 PM
SSgt USMC/Vet
If it was the first time cutting or not it would dam sure be the last. I understand the head injury thing but I would not cut it again in fact I would apologize and go about my business.
May 08, 2019, 07:58 PM
Black92LX
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
No good deed goes unpunished, did they write you up and toss ya in jail for trespass?

Probably couldn't tell who you were, maybe on medication, figured you were there to get his Amazon packages...

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, do not ever do this again. I grew up riding in my grandfathers lap on the mower and never thought a thing about.
Then a few years back we got that call. That father and every officer and firefighter that arrived on the scene that day will never be able to forget what a child looks like after being hit by a mower.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!
May 08, 2019, 09:14 PM
slabsides45
Have I mentioned lately that I have dain bramage? And my lawn? Oy. If only someone I knew....

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers
May 08, 2019, 09:21 PM
wrightd
I wouldn't give it a second thought. He's likely a little mental being all broken up and on pain meds. I agree with the other fellows, pay him a visit and ask him if there is anything else you can do for him. He might convert you from a good neighbor to his best neighbor. We are all flawed in some ways (some more than others obviously), but when someone is all doped up in the hospital with serious illness or injury all bets are off and should come as no surprise. My mother is allergic to a specific general anesthetic, and twice she has came out of surgery completely nuts, and tore off some of her strap leather restraints, screaming bloody murder, and never remembered a thing. And she's one of the kindest human beings you could know.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster
May 09, 2019, 07:11 AM
RAMIUS
I guess you guys are right, he’s all messed up. I’ll give him the benefit of a doubt.

The anger is now subsiding lol.

If anyone ever needs a mow, let me know. Razz
May 09, 2019, 08:20 AM
V-Tail
quote:

If anyone ever needs a mow, let me know. Razz
Do you need directions to my house, or do you have it covered with GPS?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
May 09, 2019, 10:19 AM
cslinger
My money is on misunderstanding. Let’s face it there are enough jacktards out there who wouldn’t hesitate to joyride a lawnmower or something. Give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

That being said I have called my local PD and told them specifically not to respond to any calls should you come to my house, unless it is to bring you beer. I will email you my address. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."
May 09, 2019, 11:46 AM
just1tym
Normally I wouldn't even mention this but you're thread brings some good memories in my case. My next door neighbor was an elderly gent when I first moved here many years ago. I worked with the power company and him being a retired Union Electrician we had many good conversations and got along instantly. I was younger and quite healthy and loved mowing my lawn and growing/landscaping my front yard. For some unexpected reasons I decided that when I was cutting my lawn, why not just cut, weedeat, and edge his also. It never tired me out, besides even if it was hot I just jumped into pool maintenance mode and cooled off with a beer and splash around a bit. Don and family was so moved because I never asked or mentioned it, they would force Christmas presents on me. He even pushed over a Craftman roll up tool box and left it on my front doorway one Christmas morning, it still tears me up to bring it to remembrance. Don has many years passed and family moved on. Since those many years ago, I've always tried my best to do some deeds unnoticed with nothing expected in return. Just to know I guess that God smiles down on this is more than enough.

Fast forward to these days, and have incurred some health setbacks myself, I realize just how much it can mean to somebody that there are those that are still willing to reach out and help a stranger unconditionally. I say good on you for doing it because your rewards are stored up for what comes later!

Regards, Will G.
May 09, 2019, 03:24 PM
bald1
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:

Fast forward to these days, and have incurred some health setbacks myself, I realize just how much it can mean to somebody that there are those that are still willing to reach out and help a stranger unconditionally. I say good on you for doing it because your rewards are stored up for what comes later!

Absolutely concur. Mobility restrictions and chemo side effects have reduced my out and about mode significantly. My next door neighbor, unbidden volunteered and continues to get my mail daily and roll out my trash bin for weekly pickups. On several occasions groceries have been picked up for me as well. Really, really is appreciated. <thumbs up>

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192
May 09, 2019, 03:37 PM
OregonXD
My neighbor helps me out once in awhile....he just started by clearing my driveway after a snow storm without any prompting. I return the favor with a nice bottle of Maker's Mark.

you sir, have the wrong neighbor.

PS I have a half acre I need to mow 4-6 times per year...Would you like my address? (PS I have more Maker's Mark available).
May 09, 2019, 08:35 PM
randyman
Your heart was in the right place. Although this was an unfortunate incident, forgive and keep your heart in the same place. God has a pretty good memory when it comes to actions like yours.
May 09, 2019, 09:24 PM
sigarms229
quote:

You know I'm not someone that likes to tell people their business but as an EMT for 29 years, I have to agree with Black92LX.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't put your little boy on your lap when mowing the lawn. I have seen it too many times both on the scene and later when I worked in the OR of a Level 1 Trauma Center.

I also have a firefighter/EMT friend that did this with his daughter and she lost her entire foot.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six
May 09, 2019, 11:06 PM
divil
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
send him the fucking bill

Heck with that send him the Jehovah’s Witnesses.
May 10, 2019, 11:50 PM
cparktd
Some folks are funny about their property. A new to me neighbor ask where he should stop mowing between our yards, where the lot line was exactly, it wasn't marked. I pointed over to the opposite side of my yard and said when you get over there you can stop mowing. My attempt at humor and implied explanation that I didn't give a shit a few feet one way or the other was lost on him. The next week he hired a surveyor to mark the lot line... Hard to believe it worth the cost just to make sure he or I didn't mow an inch too much.

Code calls for 8 inch max grass height here... I'd let it go and call codes on the jerk when it exceeded code height next time. Here, if a complaint is made, the city will send a crew out and mow it, then send the owner a bill.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.
May 11, 2019, 12:50 AM
Jelly