SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Technology is wonderful, and modern engines are amazing, but...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Technology is wonderful, and modern engines are amazing, but... Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Couple of weeks ago, the Cabota got hard to start and over a 2-3 day period, got to the point it flat wouldn't start, period.

I troubleshot things far enough to deduce that it was getting fuel TO the injector pump, but nothing coming OUT of the injector pump. My first suspicion was the stop solenoid, which cuts off fuel to stop the engine.

Having exhausted my knowledge of Kubota diesels and not having the skills or equipment to troubleshoot it further, I winched it up onto the trailer and hauled it to the dealer.

Dealer's shop was backed up something fierce and they didn't have the solenoid on hand anyway, so I left it.

Two weeks and $700 later, it's back in service. Stop solenoid was indeed bad, but so was the Engine Control Module. See, turning the key on or off doesn't just control power to the solenoid...NOOOOO, that'd be too simple. The key sends a signal to the ECM and the ECM controls the solenoid.

Gee, the electronic doodads that make life SO much better bit me in the ass again. Whodathunkit?

Sometimes wonder if I wouldn't have been better off to invest in a cab, ac and power steering for the ol' John Deere.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
Newer isn't always better.

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3110 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:Stop solenoid was indeed bad, but so was the Engine Control Module.

I always raise an eyebrow when two things fail at the same time. Can happen, and sometimes one failure precipitates another, but still... I can't help but fear they are just throwing parts at it when that happens to me.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:Stop solenoid was indeed bad, but so was the Engine Control Module.

I always raise an eyebrow when two things fail at the same time. Can happen, and sometimes one failure precipitates another, but still... I can't help but fear they are just throwing parts at it when that happens to me.

That thought occurred to me as well, but I couldn't see any way of pursuing it that ended well.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Could you have hotwired the start solenoid? Just a little shot of 12v?

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
Could you have hotwired the start solenoid? Just a little shot of 12v?

Wasn't the start it was the stop solenoid that cuts off fuel to stop the engine. When you turn on the key, it's supposed to pop open to let fuel pass. It would spin the starter fine, but the engine wasn't getting fuel.

I actually thought about removing it and trying to start the engine but I wasn't sure what all went on inside the pump and wasn't about to stick my finger in there to press the plunger to stop it.

I could have tried 12v direct to the solenoid and see if it pulled in to allow fuel.

Also, thinking about it, it makes sense for the stop solenoid to be controlled by the ECM, because at least two safety switches will also stop the engine: Seat switch and PTO switch. If you stand up while the tractor is moving, it kills the engine. If you want to use the PTO without being in the seat, you have to have the range shifter in neutral and set the parking brake or it will kill the engine.

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
How are things coming with the old gasser you got from the neighbor when you cut the trees?

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Also, thinking about it, it makes sense for the stop solenoid to be controlled by the ECM, because at least two safety switches will also stop the engine: Seat switch and PTO switch. If you stand up while the tractor is moving, it kills the engine.

On my Kubota (B7800), you can get up with the rear PTO running by getting up and quickly pulling up the seat behind you (it is in the manual). I used to do this all the time when running my wood chipper. You have to get off to go feed the thing. As far as the seat switch, I simply bypassed it with a crimp on butt connector. I need to stand up as I approach something I am going to lift with my pallet fork frame. It's the only way I can see to position the forks. I always keep it in low range when I'm doing this (HST tranny).

The fuel problem I am experiencing as the tractor ages is if you let it sit for a long time, the fuel drains out of the injectors, and the engine stalls out after about 90 seconds. Then you have to prime them by cracking all four of them and cranking until you see diesel. Pain in the ass. Rather than attempt a fix or haul it to the dealer, I made a recurring reminder on my calendar to start the tractor and let it run for 5 minutes once every two weeks. If anyone knows how to remediate this, I would appreciate hearing it.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
60 y.o. Curt has driven old ,used cars and trucks all of his life.

14 months ago, for the first time ever he went and purchased a brand new Subaru Forrester .

He had to call the dealer four times the 1st month.
And
He stopped by three times ,after that.

He really wants to love that car, but he is overjoyed that he did not trade in his 15 y.o. pickup truck.

"Thank God for you tube ", he says

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54604 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
@henryaz - I've thought about bypassing the seat switch, might yet.

Bush-hogged about 5 acres of fields today, and getting up close to the trees around the perimeter would fold the mirrors back. I REALLY like having the mirrors to watch the 'hog without having to look over my shoulder, so every time they flip back, I open the door and readjust them. If I scoot too far forward on the seat, the PTO safety will kill the tractor. Not a huge fan of shutting the PTO off for 3 seconds to adjust a mirror and then re-engaging.

Your injector issue indicates to me that they need to be rebuilt/replaced. I guess it depends on how much of a PITA it is to remember to start and run the tractor occasionally. Chances are the tractor would run better with freshened injectors as well.

posted Hide Post
BX24 TLB 2008 vintage. I bypassed my seat switch with a zip tie. Sometime it slips off plunger and goes back to working/shutting things off.

I do some unconventional things like get off it and raising/lowering fel from standing alongside position. Using hst peddle to motor frwd/bkwd while walking beside.

A better safety interlock for me would be a teather interlock like used on boats etc..

Safety interlocks getting buggy overtime. The MID PTO is troublesome always check each before committing to dealer visit. Many owners get stumped by these switches.

Posts: 464 | Location: NC | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Growing up we had two tractors. A 1942 Ford 2n, and a 1953 MF 50 diesel. There were no safeties anywhere. In fact, the old Ford barely had brakes.

You only got one chance in those days. Get wrapped up in the PTO, get taken out of the gene pool. Get off a moving tractor, get run over and taken out of the gene pool. No do overs. You learned to be careful, but we did stuff that would make OSHA wet the bed.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8215 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
but we did stuff that would make OSHA wet the bed.

OSHA is staffed with bed wetters. Its part of their hiring process.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
Reading this, I’m thankful for my 1985-built Ford 1910 tractor. However, i don’t have a front-loader...

Posts: 1721 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
PHP - how about one of those grabber sticks, keep one in the cab to push the mirrors back,

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
PHP - how about one of those grabber sticks, keep one in the cab to push the mirrors back,

I keep a folding grabber on my tractor for picking up things like rocks that have sprouted up out of nowhere. I swear, they appear like they have just grown there, so I just toss them over by the fence.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I didn't know the newer tractors had a seat switch. That would be the first thing I disabled. Hell, I'm constantly standing up or jumping off the tractor for something.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5035 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post