SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    My Time Is Worth Something Too, Y'know
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Time Is Worth Something Too, Y'know Login/Join 
Picture of fpuhan
posted
When a service provider makes an appointment with an expected time range for arrival, I expect them to show up within that time frame.

I had arranged for a home service technician (i.e., "handyman") to come and perform some services. They provided an estimate and I agreed. We then scheduled the service call for yesterday, between 8:00-10:00am.

Early yesterday morning they called and said their technician had had an emergency, and could we reschedule for today, 10:00-12:00? Since I was able to get to work yesterday on time and didn't have to take time off, I agreed.

At 12:30 today, having seen no tech, I called them to inquire. "Oh, he's running late, but is on the way." Too bad, I replied. I had a 1:00pm meeting I had to attend, and wouldn't be home to receive him.

Now, I could have waited, but I have another handyman recommendation from my realtor, and I'm going to use him instead. I took the entire morning off for your no-show, and I'm not going to let you not manage your time this way. My time is important, too!

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Send them a bill for the time you took off from work (your hourly rate +20%). If/when they balk, do the small claims court thing.

My younger brother did this in San Diego some years ago. The small claims court judge sided with him (it was Cox Cable as I recall, could be wrong though).

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14032 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
We give 2 hour estimated windows for safe deliveries. Since we never really know what we will encounter we tend to say "We have you on the schedule in our 11:00 to 1:00 slot. We may be running slightly ahead or behind depending upon the work ahead of yours. We will call you at least 30 minutes prior to our arrival to let you know we are on the way."

Without fail. 11:01. *Ring Ring*. "Yeah, you were supposed to be here at 11:00. Are you still on the way?"

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know that Comcast gets beat up about this but they give me an option of 2 hour windows and they are usually there when they say. I can see why some appointments get pushed as the last visit he was at my house for over two hours.

It's kids like you, who make this bus late.

Posts: 884 | Location: Weirton,WV | Registered: April 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
We give 2 hour estimated windows for safe deliveries. Since we never really know what we will encounter we tend to say "We have you on the schedule in our 11:00 to 1:00 slot. We may be running slightly ahead or behind depending upon the work ahead of yours. We will call you at least 30 minutes prior to our arrival to let you know we are on the way."

Without fail. 11:01. *Ring Ring*. "Yeah, you were supposed to be here at 11:00. Are you still on the way?"

I will call if I know I'm going to be at the end of their window. We do four hour slots. For instance today I'm sitting in DRs office with some of the worse pain I've been in. Called my 8-12 appointment and told her I'd be at end of our window in case she needs to run any errands, that way she's not just sitting there waiting. We also do a 30 min advance call with actual arrival time.

If I can't make a window, then I call as soon as I know, and ASK permission to come later, not just tell then I'm going to be late. Customers don't usually care if you keep them updated, or if they simply can't stay later it gives them a chance to reschedule earlier and get back into office or whatever they need to get done.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20803 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post