SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Is sugar addiction real?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is sugar addiction real? Login/Join 
Picture of Leemur
posted
I suppose you could get addicted to anything. I’ve always had a raging sweet tooth but my weight creeps up more easily every year and one of the biggest factors is sugar. I cut it out of my diet not quite 5 days ago except for the jug of OJ I was finishing (too expensive to pour it out). As of this morning I’m down 9lbs already. Figuring at least half to 2/3 could be water but I’m still a bit surprised. The downside is that I could punch babies right now. Mad

ETA: I have to drop about 15-20lbs of fat cause when my weight goes up so does my blood pressure and it was high even with my White Coat Syndrome at the dentist last week.

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not sure about the addition part but can tell you after I quit drinking I developed a sweet tooth like none other and was told it was my body reacting to the sugar in the booze it was missing

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I feel sugar withdrawal for about a week after I go cold turkey. After that it gets relatively easy to resist the temptation.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8212 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Yes, it is real!!!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25641 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think there have been studies that show brains lighting up in response to sugar in much the same way as other drugs. No doubt, it's like any other addiction. Some are affected greatly while others not at all.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
I would go so far as to say it is not "sugar" but "sweet". Even the artificial stuff triggers the brain in the same way and that can actually have even more detrimental effects when the body expects sugar, but there isn't any.

I used to drink a TON of diet sodas. When I quit, my desire for sugar dropped dramatically. Now, when I do cave for something sweet, I make sure that it's the real stuff, and just don't overdo it.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
Yes, it's more addictive than heroin.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
sugar, caffine, dabacca, SigForum, all of it

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54595 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I used diet soda to ween myself off the regular stuff years ago. The artificial sweeteners don’t make me crave more but they’re damn sure a pale shadow of actual sugar. I can murder bags of candy, pies, soda, whatever, just gimme my damn sugar or I’ll stab you.

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
I used diet soda to ween myself off the regular stuff years ago.

I switched to diet sodas when I hit 200 lbs...
...when I hit 225 I said screw this and switched back!

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4125 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
Addiction? No, I don't believe so. Strong desire? Now that's another thing.

I recently started eating "keto" and cut out all sugar cold turkey. Yes, there was the slight headache for a day or two, but otherwise not an issue. YMMV

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6721 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:
I am not sure about the addition part but can tell you after I quit drinking I developed a sweet tooth like none other and was told it was my body reacting to the sugar in the booze it was missing

Yup, me too. Double whammy for me because I have ALWAYS had a sweet tooth.

But hell, if sugar is my worst habit, I can live with that.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15201 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Yes.

If you want to get the macro picture, read The Case Against Sugar by Gary Taubes.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Totally real. And probably the biggest direct or indirect health menace in the US.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
As much as I love it. Yes, I believe I was addicted for years.

It tastes good, what can I say?

Now, lets talk caffeine. No addiction here. Smile

I love me some Sugar Free Red Bull!!!!

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
Yes.

If you want to get the macro picture, read The Case Against Sugar by Gary Taubes.

^^THis. There are good videos by Taubes on youtube as well.

Posts: 2360 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Have you even been to a WalMart?

If you have, you'd know the answer.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, especially coupled with wheat products..makes you crave sugar.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No. I can quit anytime I want. Big Grin

Posts: 17135 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
No. I can quit anytime I want. Big Grin

Yeah I quit all the time. I’m a freakin pro!

Down 10 pounds in 5+ days as of this morning. Only change was cutting out the sugar and dropping back to the one beer a day. Where’s mah abs dangit! *BEERCAKE*