SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Responses to Members Who Ask for Advice
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Responses to Members Who Ask for Advice Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
One I tire of seeing is someone asking an innocent question about Mini-14s. You won't have to wait long for the inevitable, "Why get a Mini at all? Why don't you get an AR-15?."

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16267 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
And then there are members who ask for advice, get lots of help, and never bother to post a simple thanks. They get what they want and disappear.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1487 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
^^^Guilty of this on occasion. The reason is that I figure not many around here pay much attention to my posts and the threads will just fade away on their own in short order.

Although, I do typically say thanks in my OP to cover the responses in advance.

I value this place much more than Google for when I really want to get to the bottom of a question.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Responses to Members Who Ask for Advice

What bothers me on occasion is when asking for advice with no or very little context.
Especially frustrating for technical question requiring the "helping" poster to ask several other questions just to get to the actual problem.
Now mind you I realize the one who needs the may not know much but at least SOME context. please?
Many of can help but don't make us do ALL the work. Frown

Also while the traditional thread of: " is this xxxx brand any good "
...followed by the traditional response of: " I use it and haven't had any problems "
...seems to be of little value, IMO. Eek

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Aside from responding with XYZ you forgot to mention responses that make some mention minivan wheels yet that has remotely nothing close to do with the topic at hand.

I, uh, have no idea what you're talking about. That happens?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
quote:
Originally posted by ugeesta:
Don't forget about the sarcastic response to the question.

Just wrap it n Duck Tape. That shit'll fix everything....

Taking the time to read and understand the questions is essential.

Seriously, by about the 5th person who feels the need to add an unfunny sarcastic response, I just want to smack them.

Yea, I find that one particularly annoying as well. You just struck a nerve sir! The following isn't directed at you, but at the same friends we apparently share.

Apparently all that time I spent in school learning how to calculate a resultant of forces, statics and dynamics, in engineering mechanics was a complete waste of time. All I needed this whole time was some friggin duct tape and JB weld.

The number of people who think JB weld is just as strong as a real weld, cause it's got steel in it, is fukin mind boggling. No, it isn't! It isn't half as strong! It isn't 1/4 as strong! It isn't even 1/8 as strong!

I double dog dare you to cut the steering stem off your motorcycle frame, then reattach using JB Weld. I'll even let you gusset it with as many wraps of duct tape as you like.

Or better yet, the guys down the road here at Boeing should immediately order up some JB Weld and duct tape. It's way cheaper than that Tig welding for those pesky main spars. Just as strong too.

Don't use it on structural shit guys, ever. Please! For the sake of anyone who will ever set foot in that vehicle, trailer, motorcycle or whatever it is your JB welding and duct taping together.

The tensile strength of JB Weld is 3960psi, according to thier own site. Picture a wire, square in cross section, measuring 1"x 1" x whatever inches long. If it's made out of JB Weld, It'll hold up to 3960 lbs. (Optimistic if you ask me)

Same wire made of 4130 structural steel will hold 97,200 lbs.

I've, with varying amounts of success, talked people out of using JB weld to fix cracks in a trailer tongue, to attach tow bar members, to "weld" thier lift kit control arm brackets to the trucks frame. I always wonder how many similar fixes are on the road.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ken226,

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Big Grin

Reminds me of the thread going on where a member is asking Charger or Camaro. Someone comes along and suggests Mustang. Really helpful. Roll Eyes

...but in that case the answer really IS Mustang.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
dang and all this time I thought it was duck tape

http://www.whimsical-art.com/P...s/Bedducktapeweb.jpg

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post