SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Responses to Members Who Ask for Advice
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Responses to Members Who Ask for Advice Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not to drift but some of the things people ask about is pretty bizarre in my mind. What do we like for socks? Good grief.

Actually, that's not a bad question depending on the use of the socks. Those of us who do a lot of hiking are very brand loyal (Darn Tough) and are happy to share that info with people looking for it.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
Turtlkes

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Hey whatta ya got against X, or Y and Z for that matter...

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
quote:
Not to drift but some of the things people ask about is pretty bizarre in my mind. What do we like for socks? Good grief.

Actually, that's not a bad question depending on the use of the socks. Those of us who do a lot of hiking are very brand loyal (Darn Tough) and are happy to share that info with people looking for it.

Yeah, I could use some good sock info. I have a drawer full of the cotton/poly mix socks from Wallie World, the kind that are black with the gold toe deal. I'm sure they're worth more with the gold toe.... Anyhow, what's the sock to buy? Some kinda wool?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bendable likes Thorlo.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
A member asks about "A, B, or C." Most replies are pretty much to the point, but there always seem to be one or two responders who ignore the reasons for "A, B, or C" in the original query, and tell the person who is asking the question to use "X, Y, or Z" instead.

For me, this kind of crap is one of the most frustrating aspects of the SF experience. Don't get me wrong, it's a wonderful place to swap ideas and information but it seems there are more and more participants who relish the opportunity to thump their own chest, belittle others' offerings, or incessantly attack brands, tastes, processes, or age of contributors. And the broad brushes...OMG, if I only knew where some of the folks purchase the incredibly broad brushes they wield with insensitive, reckless abandon, I could probably reduce a typical house painting job from a couple of weeks to a few hours.

There's an active thread right now in another section where a guy is seeking advice about a replacement MacBook battery and is advised to ditch the Mac and go to a Windows machine followed shortly thereafter by another one of those broad-brush statements declaring that "Windows laptops are worthless after 3-4 years." Unbelievably, I read that thread and am typing this on a 5-year old Windows laptop. I guess it's truly a miracle. I just hope it never needs a battery. Frown

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Reminds me of the thread going on where a member is asking Charger or Camaro. Someone comes along and suggests Mustang. Really helpful. Roll Eyes

Posts: 13110 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
X, Y, and Z are perfectly fine. Now H, R, and K are pretty aggravating. Razz

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30668 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

H, R, K, you are out of order!

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
After getting rudely shat upon by someone with no knowledge whatsoever in a very specific field in which I have over 25 years experience on an issue upon which I've lectured in several states I now rarely give advice unless I offer it to the OP through an email.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:

Ha! I know! Dude...just buy some freaking socks or do some research.

"What do we like for kitchen towels?"

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ugeesta:
Don't forget about the sarcastic response to the question.

Just wrap it n Duck Tape. That shit'll fix everything....

Taking the time to read and understand the questions is essential.

Seriously, by about the 5th person who feels the need to add an unfunny sarcastic response, I just want to smack them.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Big Grin

Reminds me of the thread going on where a member is asking Charger or Camaro. Someone comes along and suggests Mustang. Really helpful. Roll Eyes

But that's the correct answer Big Grin

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Big Grin

I try to address the original question while also presenting additional options he might have dismissed.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

Wait, I thought we were talking about ABC!

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
With my Roomba thread, I actually wasn't aware of the alternative brands. Actually worked out to my benefit, as the Botvac was around $200 cheaper.

But, I do see your point, where there is a more specific query & completely off base or unsolicited responses are provided.
Or, responses without reading the thread, like purchase made & the next couple posts keep making suggestions Roll Eyes

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15317 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:

Bizarre is all relative. I popped into a thread about pressure washers and learned I could buy something to flush out my pressure washer to help maintain it!

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19662 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bizarre is all relative. I popped into a thread about pressure washers and learned I could buy something to flush out my pressure washer to help maintain it!

I agree completely. Everyone has a different thought process, unlike Google which is driven by a number of factors including advertising. Some of us think like engineers and would like a step by step answer to the problem stated with a flow diagram included. Others are more abstract in their response. I enjoy both and appreciate both kinds of responses. Sarcasm is OK too in small amounts along with humor. Putting others down is not acceptable and is generally well controlled by the Mods on this forum.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Aside from responding with XYZ you forgot to mention responses that make some mention minivan wheels yet that has remotely nothing close to do with the topic at hand.

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Jeez, next time I think I'll just write a letter to Dear Abby. Roll Eyes

Posts: 11841 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post