SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Responses to Members Who Ask for Advice
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Responses to Members Who Ask for Advice Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
It happens over and over and over.

A member asks about "A, B, or C." Most replies are pretty much to the point, but there always seem to be one or two responders who ignore the reasons for "A, B, or C" in the original query, and tell the person who is asking the question to use "X, Y, or Z" instead.

I see a couple of these right now, on active threads both in the Lounge and in the Pistol section.

To borrow a word from The Monkey, "Oy!"

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Don't forget about the sarcastic response to the question.

Just wrap it n Duck Tape. That shit'll fix everything....

Taking the time to read and understand the questions is essential.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5745 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of a group text I sent out the other day to a couple other Captains in my Reserve unit asking if anyone had an Excel for Dummies book they weren't using anymore. One guy responded back "Google!" and I told him, "that's like me narrowing it down to a Camry or Accord and you suggest Impala. Thanks for the fucking help."

If you can't help within the choices, it's just better to hit the back button.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I know of the thread you are referencing in the Lounge and agree with you completely. That said, sometimes I think it is okay to suggest an option that the OP did not ask about.

For example, say a member is looking for a specific wood glue for a specific purpose. He has it down to 3 different brands and is soliciting opinions on them. It should be okay for a member who has experience with a different brand to interject and make the suggestion that the OP also consider the brand that they did not have on their list.

Where I REALLY agree with you though, is when a member asks for some 'life advice' and has X amount of scenerios that they are considering and needs some guidance. There gets to be a good discussion going about those options and someone comes in and tells the OP why all his options are wrong, or chastises the OP for getting himself into the situation in the first place.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12304 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
"A, B and C are junk. Go with D," then disappears without an explanation. Why are they junk? Or, if A, B or C are made in another country, "Forget that furrin' junk and buy American."

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

I see a couple of these right now, on active threads both in the Lounge and in the Pistol section.

Maybe it's glaucoma. You should try and see an eye doctor.
Unless it's a Cataract, then you need to see an oriental auto mechanic.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
I love when somebody makes it clear that they have a budget and get replies only suitable if money were no object.

If somebody asks for advice about the best $50 watch from Timex, suggesting similarly priced offerings from other manufacturers that might represent better value for one reason or another might actually prove helpful. Even recommending something a few dollars more is OK if the extra money yields a significant difference in overall value.

Suggesting something from Rolex is not in the least bit helpful however, in my opinion.

Posts: 6955 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi this is Amy can I help??

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I understand the OP's point, and agree that it's not helpful.

My pet peeve on advice is some people feel the need to respond to every thread and a lack of knowledge mysteriously does not prohibit them from offering advice.
  • Not an electrician or electrical engineer - offer advice that is against code because it can and has burnt down homes.
  • Not an attorney - offer legal advice instead of recommending to obtain competent counsel.
  • Not an appraiser and zero local knowledge - speculate on amount their home value will increase if they take out a home equity loan for tens of thousands of dollars if they make certain upgrades to their home.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    pretty much anytime someone offers something that has actually worked for them , I am grateful to them for taking the time .

because

there are time when I ask for help and either don't phrase the request just right or don't even know what information they need to respond.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    אַרְיֵה
    Picture of V-Tail
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by sigmonkey:
    Rincoln Town Car.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    always with a hat or sunscreen
    Picture of bald1
    posted Hide Post
    ...and invariably it's "doom on me" should I point out to the offender that he isn't addressing the original poster's question. I've since decided to simply ignore the ignorant.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
    USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Only the strong survive
    Picture of 41
    posted Hide Post
    And here I thought you were blind...with the white cane and all? Big Grin

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    אַרְיֵה
    Picture of V-Tail
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by 41:
    I subscribe to the Braille edition.

Speaking of white canes, my wife talked me out of something I really wanted to do.

The LASIK / Cataract clinic where I had my cataracts done a few months ago, is a huge operation. Big building, couple of Ors, very large waiting area / lounge that always has quite a few people sitting there.

When I went for the follow-up exam I wanted to come out of the exam room with Ray Charles shades and a white cane, then half way through the waiting area, just throw the white cane down and shout "Praise the Lord! I'm cured!"

For some silly reason, my wife put her foot down and said words to the effect of "You don't need to make public knowledge of the fact that you're an asshole."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

I'm Fine
    Picture of SBrooks
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by V-Tail:
    quote:
    Originally posted by 41:
    I subscribe to the Braille edition.

Speaking of white canes, my wife talked me out of something I really wanted to do.

The LASIK / Cataract clinic where I had my cataracts done a few months ago, is a huge operation. Big building, couple of Ors, very large waiting area / lounge that always has quite a few people sitting there.

When I went for the follow-up exam I wanted to come out of the exam room with Ray Charles shades and a white cane, then half way through the waiting area, just throw the white cane down and shout "Praise the Lord! I'm cured!"

For some silly reason, my wife put her foot down and said words to the effect of "You don't need to make public knowledge of the fact that you're an asshole."

:-) smart lady

------------------
    SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Purveyor of
    Fine Avatars
    Picture of Orguss
    posted Hide Post
    I like the responses similar to the ones I received in my thread asking about electric costs, where people seem to take offense at my First World privilege, tell me to suck it up and not complain.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of sigcrazy7
    posted Hide Post
    Don't get me started on the "First World Problem" response. Of course all my problems are FWPs, since I live in the First World. Some members think that the only problems about which we can complain are flies in your children's eyes.

It's dismissive, and frankly, a dick response.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Still finding my way
    Picture of Ryanp225
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by sigmonkey:

I don't drive Cataract, onry Rincoln.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Get my pies
    outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
    posted Hide Post
    Or how about the lack of reading comprehension or not bothering to read the OP? I had a post about blenders and clearly stated that my budget was A. $100 or less and B. I can't afford the super fancy NijaMatic3000's

By the second page, I was getting the "just buy the NijaMatic3000! They are on sale for $1,500.00 this week!"
    Roll Eyes

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Krazeehorse
    posted Hide Post
    Not to drift but some of the things people ask about is pretty bizarre in my mind. What do we like for socks? Good grief.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5680 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post