SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Sad state of journalism
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sad state of journalism Login/Join 
posted
My gripe tonight is specifically article titles, pitches, tag lines.

I spent some time reading a few pages of article headlines on google. It included reuters, ap, cnn, cnbc, local papers, etc.

What do I read.

Trump's press secretary said these 3 lines.

5 Steps to keep glasses clear when wearing a mask.

15 Steps to take when deciding what to make for dinner.

42 New ways to wipe your ass.

69 times you should give your grown children everything they want.

FOR FUCKS SAKE>

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agreed. I can no longer see any difference between shows like "The View" and "CNN Headline News." It's all pretty much click bait. The sad part is, people believe it. I spoke to my cousin in Missouri. (Funny, spell check changed "cousin" to "souse," which is pretty accurate in her case. She said Ky Gov Beshear was doing a great job because our infection rate was so low. I told her about him sending state cops to follow and identify people who went to Easter drive in church. Didn't phase her. "As long as it keeps you safe, it's a good thing."

Of course, she face-timed me when she was released from the hospital after a Covid spell. Was hitting a bong on the call.

Smart girl.

Posts: 17136 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And while they are giving us all that “important” stuff, what is really happening in the world?

Is Russia on the rise or decline?

Drugs in South America - we winning or losing that “war”?

Recovering from tornadoes here in the states? Anyone else need help?

It appears that ALL the other news that was important suddenly stops when the virus is the headline. So was that other stuff really important, or just important that day?

I still believe the last time we got impartial news was with Huntley and Brinkley. Everything since then has had some degree of “I know what is important and I will tell you how to think” ie Browkaw, Brian Williams, et al.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My tiny local station recites the Corona death stats as soon as the broadcast opens. Every day. No coverage as to validity or accuracy of the numbers or even how they tally about the numbers.
Just parroting what they get from the state and local heath depts.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16066 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Click baity titles and articles full of opinion, lacking any news.

It is sad was Journalism schools are turning out. Partisan hacks.

Just give me facts, news. I will put together my own opinion.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid the NEWS was the news. Some old guy who previously worked in print journalism read copy. University of Missouri and Northwestern had real degrees in Journalism. Editorials were on the Editorial page and lableled as such. Those days are long gone. I wonder what Edward R. Murrow would say.

Posts: 17221 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
The chyron blurbs on CNN could not be more obvious their hatred for President Trump.
Calling them Fake News is jut a plain fact.

Posts: 22894 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
The chyron blurbs on CNN could not be more obvious their hatred for President Trump.
Calling them Fake News is jut a plain fact.

Yep. They really should be called CON (Cable Opinions Network).

Q

Posts: 26332 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Yes^^^.
It's now common to see a click bait title then the article below completely contradicts what the title implies.
This seems to be so common, that readers don't read the text. Often people post those titles as proof of an argument on places with comments when it's clear they didn't read any of the text below.

Posts: 9493 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Local news in Chicago really sucks.
It's all-
Virus
Orange Man Bad
Virus
Crime
Orange Man Really Bad!
Virus
Virus
Crime
Virus
Virus
Dumb stuff
Virus
Virus
Virus

Some idiots are sitting around a "news" room thinking about new and exciting ways to report anything related to the virus. "What we're eating during the pandemic"- I hope they sneezed on your $8 taco!
Who fucking cares about how the polyamorous in Chicago are "surviving the threat".
"How to survive quarantine from a man that was in solitary confinement for 6 years"

You can't get an objective or neutral view on anything the local shit prints.

I pretty much turned it all off a few years ago, it's all pretty much horseshit.
There's a few decent internet sources for national, but local, in Chicago- damn near ZERO.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8333 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do what we do. We put the local news on at 10 for the first 5 minutes and that's ONLY to see if there any OIS in Chicago. After the five minutes we turn it off because there is no value or credibility in anything they say after that.

Posts: 5741 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
OIS? Confused Google was no help.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30640 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
OIS? Confused Google was no help.

Officer involved shooting.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
Do what we do. We put the local news on at 10 for the first 5 minutes and that's ONLY to see if there any OIS in Chicago. After the five minutes we turn it off because there is no value or credibility in anything they say after that.

I won’t even do that. 99% of the local feeds suck.
If I want to know about an OIS, homicide, robbery... I’ll use my “phone a friend” option and call one of our friends. Filter through the BS on SCC, or “heyjackass” is always good. The “crime in boystown” isn’t bad either, but that’s mostly on the north east side.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8333 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
News, the original click bait.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20807 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
I turn the babble boxon for the 0700 news. The only place I can find news is Fox. ABC and CBS always have “Now we’re going to talk to someone you have never head of about his new (book, movie, something)” ABC went on forever about the woman that got the corona, spent time in the hospital and was cheered as she left. Other then getting sick, then better it wasn’t news.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a perfect opportunity for someone with a lot of money to start an actual news broadcast channel, hire and enforce truly objective news reporters who discuss factual information instead of opinions. Might be more public interest in hearing that than you would think, in spite of our current tribal society.

Posts: 1178 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsmccull:

Sounds like a perfect opportunity for someone with a lot of money to start an actual news broadcast channel, hire and enforce truly objective news reporters who discuss factual information instead of opinions.
One America News Network?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30640 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Even Fox isn't immune from the dumbassery of misleading tag lines.

Put a TV in the office, and up pops a tag with Brett Farve, the tagline is he's returning over a million dollars improperly paid to him from Welfare funds.

Implication is that he scammed the us taxpayers and stole over a million bucks from Welfare.

But if you google and read the facts he is volunteering to repay over a million dollars paid to him for endorsements where the abusing party improperly used Welfare money to pay him.

He had zero to do with what the tagline states.

Assholes, all of them.

Posts: 23379 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Implication is that he scammed the us taxpayers and stole over a million bucks from Welfare.

But if you google and read the facts he is volunteering to repay over a million dollars paid to him for endorsements where the abusing party improperly used Welfare money to pay him.

^^^^^^^
Living in Mississippi, I have access to some of the facts. He was paid a million dollars for services that were NEVER provided. He was a no show for a speech and facts indicate he was not even there. He did not know he was paid with illgotten funds. His longtime agent had no comment. The following day he sent a check for 500,000 dollars and an agreement to pay an additonal half million in installmants. So that is the rest of the story. There was NO criminal indictment and Shad White, the state auditor is happy.

Posts: 17221 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post