SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    2012 F250 Death Wobble
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2012 F250 Death Wobble Login/Join 
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
quote:
Originally posted by coloradohunter44:
Did ford re-engineer the front end on any newer models 16, 17 ? Anyone know?

It’s my understanding that some of the later models are even worse about this. It starts happening sooner, mileage wise.
Also, for those wanting to know, this is NOT the same as tire vibration. That is usually caused by the weird tire wear (cupping and so forth) that comes from oversized tires and thick rubber with wide lugs and such.
This shakes the entire vehicle violently. Like everything from the dashboard is now in the floor board violent. If you pay attention, you can feel it coming on but you don’t have enough time to prevent it. Just brace yourself, kick off the cruise, and start coasting.

I’m wondering if this has to do with the trend for all these trucks to be higher and higher each year? Have we stretched the angles on all this stuff past practical limits?

I put new Fox shocks all around. Guess I'll add a steering damper and talk to my alignment shop. I'd like to never experience this!

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
I think if I were to experience any issues with a Ford Super Duty front end I would invest in some replacement parts from Carli Suspension. Specifically I would invest in a torsion sway bar and fabricated radius arms along with an upper and lower mount steering stabilizer. Couple those with some Dynatrac rebuildable ball joints and I’d be willing to bet that there would never be any other problems. All of those modifications represent a major upgrade in suspension parts along with an ability to rebuild ball joints (if it was ever even necessary to do so) without having to press the entire ball joint out. Unfortunately it would also come at a significant cost, but if it was a truck that you really liked and wanted to keep for the long haul, probably well worth it.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5562 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I looked up those Carli parts and they appear to be for lifted trucks. My stock F350 is already taller than I'd like for towing our 5th wheel.

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
I looked up those Carli parts and they appear to be for lifted trucks. My stock F350 is already taller than I'd like for towing our 5th wheel.

My sentiments exactly. Factory ride height could be 4” shorter and I’d be happy.
That’s what is disappointing about this ordeal.
My truck has always been stock.
No oversize tires
No lift kit
No heavy ass Ranch Hand bumpers
No winch
And I stay on top of maintenance. Tire rotation, etc.
and still, I’m rebuilding the front end at 80k miles.
About time for a brake job now.
Still cheaper than a new (even taller) truck.

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:

It’s my understanding that although they are designed for use with their leveling kits or lift kits, where front suspension is even more taxed than in stock configuration, that they can be utilized with non leveled or lifted applications as well. The sway bar and steering stabilizers should not make a difference, and I think the radius arms are available for non leveled or lifted applications as well. The Dynatrack rebuildable ball joints could unquestionably be used in non lifted trucks and they are a definite improvement over stock, or even Moog or other USA made ball joints.

As far as ride height, I totally understand as even my previous non lifted 2015 Ram 3500 single rear wheel truck was pretty tall when hooking up a gooseneck trailer. However I don’t think it can really be reasonably expected to get these trucks any lower. With the towing and load carrying capacities that these trucks have nowadays they need pretty massive brakes. In order to fit the required large sized brake rotors you need a pretty good sized wheel. Couple the required good sized wheel with tires that have enough sidewall to carry a big load and you are left with a truck that sits pretty tall. Honestly if I wasn’t towing a 5th wheel that weighed more than 11,000 or 12,000 pounds or so I would probably just tow with a newer half ton truck since their capacity is what 3/4 ton trucks were 15 years ago and they don’t sit quite as tall.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5562 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lt CHEG:
The Dynatrack rebuildable ball joints could unquestionably be used in non lifted trucks and they are a definite improvement over stock, or even Moog or other USA made ball joints.

I put in a set of the Carli rebuildable ball joints in my stock Dodge and have been very happy with them so far. The Moogs I put in shortly before that were absolute junk.

Posts: 1799 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tenmm
posted Hide Post
My 2017 F350 does the death wobble, often enough that I watch the road closely when it looks rough. Its not a frequent occurance, just often enough to keep me tuned up. I did just get a notice from Ford about updated steering part to fix it, though. I have not yet contacted the dealership to see how many weeks they need my truck before they spend half a day installing them.

Posts: 760 | Location: Alaska | Registered: December 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
With my truck it started on one spot of one particular road. I figured it was a fluke. Over a period of several weeks, it started happening on other roads I have regularly used and not had a problem with. Basically, it got progressively worse over about 3 weeks and I couldn't ignore it anymore, so I had it fixed.

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tenmm:
My 2017 F350 does the death wobble, often enough that I watch the road closely when it looks rough. Its not a frequent occurance, just often enough to keep me tuned up. I did just get a notice from Ford about updated steering part to fix it, though. I have not yet contacted the dealership to see how many weeks they need my truck before they spend half a day installing them.

Shouldn't take them more than an hour to do the repair and check the alignment. Then again, I know how it goes at a dealership. Ford did have issues with a bad batch of steering stabilizers. Had them failing right out of the box.

Posts: 545 | Location: OH | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by simmy952:
quote:
Originally posted by tenmm:

Shouldn't take them more than an hour to do the repair and check the alignment. Then again, I know how it goes at a dealership. Ford did have issues with a bad batch of steering stabilizers. Had them failing right out of the box.

Once parts arrived, my local dealership never had my truck more than a day. Usually I’d drop it off the evening before, put the keys in the drop box. They’d call me the next day and I’d pick it up when I had time.
But after listening to some of you guys, I think my dealership may be an anomaly. I’ve always had good, timely service from them. I’m not gonna say it was always the cheapest, but you can only pick two out of the Good, Cheap, Fast list, right?

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are correct in what you say. I think it is safe to say that it really doesn't matter what brand of vehicle you drive there are service centers that are good and bad. I am an independent. You can also add them into this. There is good and bad.

Posts: 545 | Location: OH | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post