SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    2012 F250 Death Wobble
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2012 F250 Death Wobble Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Nope same thing. Have had more issues with 16 - up than with the earlier models. If replacing the shocks, spend the money and go with Bilstiens. That is the best shock for the money. The only parts that really need replaced is the track bar bushing, the track bar ball joint, and the steering damper. Bilstien also makes a good steering damper also. Ford also had issues with new in the package steering dampers. Buddy works at a dealership and he said that they have had several defects that were right out of the package. Also do the alignment. Good luck to you. Feel free to contact me if you need any help.

Posts: 545 | Location: OH | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coloradohunter44:
Did ford re-engineer the front end on any newer models 16, 17 ? Anyone know?

It’s my understanding that some of the later models are even worse about this. It starts happening sooner, mileage wise.
Also, for those wanting to know, this is NOT the same as tire vibration. That is usually caused by the weird tire wear (cupping and so forth) that comes from oversized tires and thick rubber with wide lugs and such.
This shakes the entire vehicle violently. Like everything from the dashboard is now in the floor board violent. If you pay attention, you can feel it coming on but you don’t have enough time to prevent it. Just brace yourself, kick off the cruise, and start coasting.

I’m wondering if this has to do with the trend for all these trucks to be higher and higher each year? Have we stretched the angles on all this stuff past practical limits?

Posts: 6289 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Have any two piece driveshafts been removed and installed incorrectly or possible damage from the shops lift when the work was done?

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Have any two piece driveshafts been removed and installed incorrectly or possible damage from the shops lift when the work was done?

No. This is NOT driveline vibration.

Posts: 6289 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Jack up each corner, roll tire and check for tread separation starting.
Otherwise one of the previous suggestions should take care of it.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Jack up each corner, roll tire and check for tread separation starting.
Otherwise one of the previous suggestions should take care of it.

Truck was in shop yesterday.
4 new tires
4 new shocks
Fresh alignment.

I just haven’t driven it far enough or fast enough to thoroughly test it yet.

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
20 years ago we owned two 4WD 2000 model F250 Super Duty diesels. One short bed crew cab, one long bed super cab. Neither ever had any death wobble issues. I sold the crew cab to a friend and he still has it, and still no death wobble. It has around 600k miles on it now.

I’m puzzled by why some of these trucks have this problem when others don’t.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Arfmel;

I firmly believe a major contributing factor is the excessive ride height of these late model trucks.
This truck and it’s predecessor, a 2009 with the same specs, are the first trucks ( 1, 3/4 or 1/2 ton ) that I have ever HAD to put step bars on for entry/exit.
The factory ride height on the 2019 trucks was even worse. The top of the bed on the 3/4 ton 4X4 F250 is even with my shoulder. I’m 6’1” on a good day. I can remember being able to stand next to a truck and actually reach over into the bed for things.
It’s bordering on the ridiculous.

MAGA
Picture of D_Steve
posted Hide Post
Google may be of help:
2012 f250 4x4 death wobble

After market bushings and parts may be a better way to go than the stock Ford to tighten up the front end.

note just after a minute the truck goes over a bump. this causes an oscillation to start in the slop of the front suspension.

https://youtu.be/8EuQ6f8rgT4

"Let's Go Brandon"

Posts: 1536 | Location: Indiana | Registered: July 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
To be fair, it isn't limited to Ford products. Jeeps, Dodges, Chevys can do it as well. It has to do with using coil springs instead of leaf springs on the front axle and all the associated hardware needed to keep the axle under the truck.

Here is a video of a Dodge, at 1:05 there's a great view from outside the truck: Video.

Posts: 10824 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Drove it through a known “wobble zone” on the interstate this afternoon. So far it’s pretty stable.

You know, the comment about coil vs leaf springs makes me think....
I remember reading reviews of older trucks. The major complaint t was nearly always “the ride is too truck-like”.
Um, what? It’s an f-ing truck! Don’t like the ride, go buy a car!
It’s like people that complain about the fuel mileage on trucks. I don’t buy trucks for a smooth ride and economy. I need to haul things.

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
If I had to guess, switching to coil springs on the front axle had more to do with turning radius than ride quality.

Posts: 10824 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
https://youtu.be/ZsRrcPLwBb8

That looks very scary and completely unacceptable.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
Drove it through a known “wobble zone” on the interstate this afternoon. So far it’s pretty stable.

You know, the comment about coil vs leaf springs makes me think....
I remember reading reviews of older trucks. The major complaint t was nearly always “the ride is too truck-like”.
Um, what? It’s an f-ing truck! Don’t like the ride, go buy a car!
It’s like people that complain about the fuel mileage on trucks. I don’t buy trucks for a smooth ride and economy. I need to haul things.

I’m pretty sure our F-250s had leaf springs in front. Maybe that’s why we never had this death wobble issue.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can this affect the lug nuts ? Perhaps loosening them, and eventually backing them all the way off ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of og556
posted Hide Post
My Jeep suffered from this on 34” tires. It ended up being the ball joints in the axle C’s.

Posts: 646 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: August 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Can this affect the lug nuts ? Perhaps loosening them, and eventually backing them all the way off ?

I don’t *think* so, but I guess anything’s possible. Trust me, as soon as this starts ALL you want to do is get slowed down to make it stop.

Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
OP - Hope they resolved your issue.

quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
To be fair, it isn't limited to Ford products. Jeeps, Dodges, Chevys can do it as well. It has to do with using coil springs instead of leaf springs on the front axle and all the associated hardware needed to keep the axle under the truck.

Here is a video of a Dodge, at 1:05 there's a great view from outside the truck: Video.

Thanks for that video - I have heard of the death wobble for the Dodge trucks of that vintage, but always wondered what it actually was. I've got a 2006 Dodge 3500 w/160K on the clock and haven't had that happen to me (yet - knocks wood). Makes me wonder what else is going on that would contribute to that.

Posts: 1799 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
any lifted or higher suspension with worn joint connections is going to provide poor steering and can result in a dangerous situation, doesn't matter who built it,

It does matter how it's maintained, and if the person doing the work diagnoses and completes the job.

Glad you got it worked out...

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
Coincidentally, I received a notice from Ford today related to my 2017 F350.

Campaign FSA 20N04: Steering linkage damper extended coverage.

quote:

Ford Motor Company is extending the warranty coverage on the steering linkage damper to a total of 7 years or 100,000 miles from the warranty start date, whichever occurs first.

A redesigned steering linkage damper is now available for vehicles that experience sustained steering wheel oscillation after hitting rough pavement or an expansion joint at speeds typically above 45 mph (72 Km/h).

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post